BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am an new owner of a 06 SS e60 M5 with all options for that year Build 07/06. It has around 34k miles on it.

I have had it for around a month, and last week i floored the brakes, and now i think the front right brake caliper is sticking/seazed

When hot the car does not move at all, and only the front right brake is extremely HOT. After it cools down, i can move it but it seems like the brakes are still sticking as i can feel the resistance. Anyone else face this issue?

I now i have all yellow warnings:
^Driving Stability! Drive Moderately
^Flat Tire Monitor malfunction!
^Start-off assistance Inactive
^DSC restricted! Drive Moderately

Also,

I have bought a Easycare - Stated Care warranty, so i think the brake caliper should be covered.

But while reading thru the service contract for the first time i noticed what it covered user the transmissions:

Manual Transmission / Transfer Case: All internal, lubricated parts. Flywheel; Transmission Mounts; Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder. The following parts are covered only if damaged by the FAILURE of an internal, lubricated part: Transmission Case, Oil Pan and Transfer Case.
Automatic Transmission / Transfer Case: All internal, lubricated parts. Flex Plate; Vacuum Modulator; Transmission Mounts. Torque Converter if internally damaged. The following parts are covered only if damaged by the FAILURE of an internal, lubricated part: Transmission Case, Oil Pan and Transfer Case.

Does this mean that the SMG Pump & Related issues are covered? If not, should i upgrade to Total Care?

Thanks a lot guys!!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hello all,

I am an new owner of a 06 SS e60 M5 with all options for that year Build 07/06. It has around 34k miles on it.

I have had it for around a month, and last week i floored the brakes, and now i think the front right brake caliper is sticking/seazed

When hot the car does not move at all, and only the front right brake is extremely HOT. After it cools down, i can move it but it seems like the brakes are still sticking as i can feel the resistance. Anyone else face this issue?

I now i have all yellow warnings:
^Driving Stability! Drive Moderately
^Flat Tire Monitor malfunction!
^Start-off assistance Inactive
^DSC restricted! Drive Moderately

Also,

I have bought a Easycare - Stated Care warranty, so i think the brake caliper should be covered.

But while reading thru the service contract for the first time i noticed what it covered user the transmissions:

Manual Transmission / Transfer Case: All internal, lubricated parts. Flywheel; Transmission Mounts; Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder. The following parts are covered only if damaged by the FAILURE of an internal, lubricated part: Transmission Case, Oil Pan and Transfer Case.
Automatic Transmission / Transfer Case: All internal, lubricated parts. Flex Plate; Vacuum Modulator; Transmission Mounts. Torque Converter if internally damaged. The following parts are covered only if damaged by the FAILURE of an internal, lubricated part: Transmission Case, Oil Pan and Transfer Case.

Does this mean that the SMG Pump & Related issues are covered? If not, should i upgrade to Total Care?

Thanks a lot guys!!
Well I don't think the SMG pump is technically "internal". Seems there could be a loophole here for them.

I haven't heard anything bad about Easy Care as I heard they are excellent, but if it was me I would get their highest plan offered. Last thing you want is where they say we don't cover that with this plan, only if you have the Total Care plan or whatever is the top of the line plan.

Post pictures up of the side you suspect the caliper is sticking and the opposite side of the same axle. You can tell for the most part if a caliper is sticking at the rotor and you mentioned already the amount of heat it generates.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I forgot to follow up in this before:

It was a seized front right caliper. They replaced and then the tears seazed...so they replaced those too.

They said that my brake fluid was thick and contaminated.....but it had it's last brake fluid change by a BMW delear less than 2 years and 6k miles ago.

Also so after they fixed all that, the brake pedal went soft. Soo after 3 more flushes they replaced the master cylinder..

But it's now still soft and has to go back..any ideas? It'll go back next year in spring.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Brake fluid doesn't turn like that in 2 years. I wonder if it is original...

Softness means air-quite a possibility with all the pieces replaced.

Sometimes a worn wheel bearing will add extra travel to the pedal (flexing) too.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Also, I forgot to follow up in this before:

It was a seized front right caliper. They replaced and then the tears seazed...so they replaced those too.

They said that my brake fluid was thick and contaminated.....but it had it's last brake fluid change by a BMW delear less than 2 years and 6k miles ago.

Also so after they fixed all that, the brake pedal went soft. Soo after 3 more flushes they replaced the master cylinder..

But it's now still soft and has to go back..any ideas? It'll go back next year in spring.
Yep these car are very hard to get all the air out. I bought new rubbers for my calipers when I had them powder coated. Very cheap and easy to do. The black liquid rubber that's in there was unreal. Mine only 52k on them and flushes every 2 years. It's so cheap to buy the rebuild kit that I'll do it every few years. The pedal throw afterwords was much less. You won't notice it until you rebuild them.

I had a hard time getting all the air out and had gone through 3 quarts. I decided to read the Rheingold fine print on replacing the brake fluid. I used a pressure bleeder to get the new fluid to all 4 calipers. Now with the pressure bleeder still attached, the software has you start at the RR and run the dsc motor to get trapped air out. After the dsc stops, and while the bleed screw is still open, you have someone cycle the brake pedal 5 times. Close the bleed screw and move onto the LR. Repeat the same process all the way around. When I cycled the brake pedal 5 times for the RF, a gulp of air shot out and that fixed it. It wasn't coming with out the pedal cycle.

You still have trapped air somewhere.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update and closing:

It was actually the brake hydraulic unit unit. Once they replaced it, everything was fixed, and have been trouble free for the last 2500 miles.

The mechanic said he did see some corrosion on it when they pulled it out.

Theory is: Hyrdo unit was bad, and actually caused the front right caliper to stay stuck ON.

Once they replaced that caliper, it stuck the rear two calipers ON, so they naturally replaced those as well :D

and afterwards, the brake pedal kept going soft and down to floor, but no fluid loss. Air was probably sneaking in via the hydro unit, as after they flush it and machine bled the brakes, it stays hard, but within the next 100 or so miles it gets soft, and my thoughts are when DSC kicks in, it starts going soft, cuz the one day when it was rainy and i got the car, it went soft on the 6 mile drive home lol

and Easycare took care of me :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts