BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LE has been suffering from a slight judder when braking. All bushings, etc had been replaced by the PO. In the late summer I did clean the calipers up - 15 years of dust, rust and general dirt made a mess of them for sure. As good a job as I made of them at the time, they do need overhauling with new seals, etc. Although the issue went away for a while, it returned a couple of weeks ago. With winter on its way and knowing that these issues can soon escalate, (wear on other components) plus not having as much time to deal with the issue as I would have liked, I bit the bullet and ordered 2 new calipers with new clips and pins....:eek:h: not cheap...

I installed them both at the weekend (not the most attractive looking things..... painted an Army Green colour??). results are excellent...... no judder at all :biggrin:

After road testing and checking the torques of everything, I notice that one piston out of 4 on the RHS has not extended... Any ideas, or should I just return it back to BMW straight away?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Out of curiosity why did you buy new calipers when having them rebuilt is cheaper, just as effective and solves many of the same issues? I believe that any BMW part purchased from BMW carries a 12 month warranty so either take the car to a dealer or send the caliper back?

I had mine rebuilt ten thousand miles ago and they are fantastic. Not silly money but well worth the outlay.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is a hell of a lot cheaper to have the calipers overhauled. I think the kit is about £100 to do it. I intend to do that to mine in the future as I have with my other BMW's but it does help to have a spare set on the shelf which is what I will have in future.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks very nice ;-)

I just love those late model brakes... Wonder how much it would take to upgrade the brakes on my touring to these.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pleased to say that the issue is now resolved... :D. Spent Saturday carefully bleeding and flushing the system and everything works perfectly. What a difference! I realise now that I must have had at least one dragging brake.

Took the opportunity to adjust the handbrake - it is now balanced as well.

Just need to buy the rebuild kits and refurbish the removed front calipers in due course. Not long before I need new pads. I know it is a subjective item, but anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
@ Monkey

I believe the calipers are not painted at all. My advise would be to at least clearcoat them.

Indeed I share Richards wonder as why you didn't overhaul the old ones?

Wout

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will paint the new ones after I have overhauled and refurbished the items removed in due course. As I said before, I do not have the time at the moment to overhaul / refurbish the calipers. I also have an E28 in restoration so have plenty to do.... However, it was a decision I did not take lightly but I am pleased with the course of action I took.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Or you can sell the old set to someone from the US as M5's here did not have these nice 2-piston callipers, which are quite a rare item :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts