BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I got mine (Ate brand) from RM European but you can also get them at Autohaus AZ and Pelican Parts. I think ECS and Pelican have the Meyle rotors.
Thank you I actually ordered a pair of ATE coated fronts from Autohaus for a great price. Expecting to arrive Saturday and be installed Monday. I’ll follow up with a review thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
ATE rotors installed today car feels great. Taking it easy on hard braking.

just some side notes, the hubs were clean of rust and free of debris. The bolts on the back side of the caliper were on too tight and the tightness of the lug nuts were overkill. passenger side Zimmerman rotor showed 2 dark lines around surface. Did not measure run out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not to stir the pot but if the if the wheel/lug bolts (unless you swapped your hubs over to lug studs you have bolts, not nuts) are over-torqued it can warp your rotor. I would steer clear of a shop that can’t use a torque wrench properly, I have seen many a hack blast away with an impact wrench to tighten lugs and ruin rotors, wheels, strip bolts, ugh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yes you’re right I’m just used to saying lug nuts lol. And yeah they definitely did just blast away with the impact gun guess I won’t be going back there again

·
Registered
85 Posts
So end of the day you get to find a better shop, learned a bunch about brakes, and hopefully got the brakes you need and didn’t lose any money... great way for this to end. Awesome man. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So end of the day you get to find a better shop, learned a bunch about brakes, and hopefully got the brakes you need and didn’t lose any money... great way for this to end. Awesome man. Happy motoring!
Yess thank you and to sum it all up the e39 uses lug bolts not lug nuts!! 😜

·
Registered
12,804 Posts
Yess thank you and to sum it all up the e39 uses lug bolts not lug nuts!! 😜
Switched mine over to studs and nuts a long time ago. Sooooo much easier to swap wheels and tires. Use locktite on the studs.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Also the car rolls better too, I also learned that bad rotors can cause wobble when not even applying brakes. She’s starting to feel like a M again. It’s wet out today maybe I’ll go do some 2nd gear power sliding

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Likely cleaned off the rust and did the same on the hub. Half these problems are crud that gets where it is not intended. I watched my neighbor change his snows to summers the other day. Off came one wheel on with the other. He did not even take the time to look at the rotor to see if it was gunked up from the winter let alone drag a wire brush over it to make a nice surface to mount too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Guys, These cars are going on 20 years old. Rebuild the caliper, remove and true up the bracket where the pad ears wear on them, choose a paint and prep method you like and reinstall with new parts on everything. View attachment 936976 View attachment 936977 View attachment 936978
Wow that looks great! Thank you for your reply.

Update: My new front ATE rotors are broken in nicely now. I didn’t do a bed in procedure I just gradually braked lightly in the beginning and slowly overtime increased how hard I applied the brake pedal. Car stops amazing now. Thanks for everyone’s input and knowledge.

·
Registered
644 Posts
On the question of "truing the caliper bracket" that should have read cleaning up the bracket with a file to ensure the "lands" where the caliper and the pads sit are really FLAT. You will notice after you clean up the bracket, that the pad ears wear the bracket creating little pock marks where they slide back and forth as the brakes are applied. These pock points should be filed flat once again and have high temp caliper specific grease applied. DO NOT USE wheel bearing grease as it will flow as soon as the temps climb and drip onto the rotor, which will result is no braking friction.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also painted my calipers with a high gloss silver paint like yours!

Cleaned all the gunk off my calipers with a wire brush and break cleaner before painting and installing new rotors/pads. Slides had a ton of old dry grease and grime. Used sand paper and scotchbright pad to clean and smooth them out.

·
1,917 Posts
Just for future reference, I had to rebuild my calipers after a particularly crap winter. I got the rebuild kit from Bigg Red - http://biggred.co.uk who are a UK company but will, I believe, ship to the US.

Cost very little and the single piston caliper means there's not actually much to stripping it and rebuilding it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Those calipers look great, nicely done. Your pics are making me wish we could still get the the 2 piece BMW rotors in the US.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, but sadly they are NLA. The only original BMW ones you can still get are the Motorsport versions which are drilled, but you need a euro VIN to order them from BMW Europe (bimmerworld can get them for you, there are currently about 200 sets of fronts in Europe, the rear is the same as the e46 m3 csl and there are plenty).

Zimmermann offers them (I see from your write up those are those ones you bought) but these are not OEM. I personally have had a lot of quality issues with Zimmerman. I have gone through 2 sets of the Zimmermann floaters in 8k miles due to hot spotting, didn’t happen to the original BMW floaters that lasted about 50k. I hope you have better luck than I did, perhaps I just got some bad apples.

The floating rotors also have issues with corrosion, exacerbated by road salt (corrosion bonds the pins to the rotor, rotor can’t float goes out of balance). Not an issue if you don’t see any salt obviously. There was a BMW TSA for the European e39 M5 that recommends replacing with the US rotor to correct this if it occurs. BMW still offers the one piece rotor for the US and European market, but has stopped making the semi-floating rotors (unless it’s the Motorsport version).

I never weighed my zimmermans, but if they are the same as BMW there is some unsprung weight to be saved

These are specs for a front assembly based on BMW parts.

E39 M5 Euro......................................36.31 lbs (caliper & carrier 13.404 lbs + semi-floating rotor 22.906 lbs) [note: Euro floating rotors are NLA in US]
E39 540/530......................................37.31 lbs (caliper & carrier 14.161 lbs + rotor 23.149 lbs)
E39 M5 USA.......................................39.859 lbs (caliper & carrier 13.404 lbs + rotor 26.455 lbs)

·
Registered
644 Posts
41 - 60 of 61 Posts