BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recommend the centric high carbon with posi quiet ceramic pads. Lots of bite, very little dust, very reputable manufacturer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Funny seeing this thread since my car is now doing it as well, but only if braking from highway speeds. It had its brakes done before I bought it in September. Wonder if they are zimmerman too?

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Funny seeing this thread since my car is now doing it as well, but only if braking from highway speeds. It had its brakes done before I bought it in September. Wonder if they are zimmerman too?

Sent from Uranus with Love.
If it is only from highway speed check your thrust arm bushings first. That is the symptom for them failing. Shimmy for 60 down to 40 or 30.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If your bushings have no play (simple check when the cars up) look at the brakes. “Warped” or hot spotted front rotor will cause vibration in the steering wheel and front end without any pedal pulsing.

An uneven rotor can cause vibration both when applying the brakes and not, hot spotted rotor will do it just under braking (but will eventually become an untrue rotor as the hot spot has become harder with a higher coefficient of friction than the rest of the rotor and cause uneven wear and pad deposits). Typically a bad rotor will get worse when it gets hotter, one way to tell if it’s a rotor vs a bushing issue. A check for run out will discover any issue and a hot spot is a dark stain visible to the eye.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stick with a name brand blank rotor like stop tech, centric, Raybestos, Bendix, PowerStop, etc and you’ll be fine.
Bad thrust arms can cause vibration. I had a slight vibration @60mph eliminated after replacing both thrust arms (torn bushings).

·
Registered
361 Posts
I recently replaced my rotors with Ate coated rotors front and rear. No issues here. Alllmost got the Zimmermans, but both were coated and the Ates cost less. Using the OEM Jurid and Textar pads. I have also used Meyle coated rotors in the past on multiple cars with no issues. Plenty of options out there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update: tried rebedding brakes it was an epic failure. The DSC light and yellow BRAKE light came on during the process. And then turned it’s self off later, guess it’s time to spend double the amount of money to do the same job twice. I love spending money to attempt to make something better and just turns out worse.

Also FCP Euro is playing hardball I may as well just call my credit card company and back charge them for a defective product.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ugh, sorry man. This, my own experience and that several friends now confirm I won't be buying Zimmerman rotors anytime soon. I hope you get it worked out, perhaps your experience can help someone else avoid a headache.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Yes Indeed. FCP actually just e mailed back very apologetic. Full refund on rotors and they’re actually going to file a claim to Zimmerman for me to cover the wasted money on labor fees. FCP just wants the mechanics invoice for labor and a written statement verifying rotors were bad.

I think I’m getting refunded for all 4 rotors + pads all around. I’ve got the Indy wrtiting up something now for the labor. I think I’m just going to replace the 2 front discs only and just save the extra money for all the headache.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you just call Zimmerman directly and tell them what happened? I hate to say it but it's really not FCP's problem since it's not their product. I know they have the warranty, but, yeah. Maybe Zimmerman will send you a new set for free. I doubt they will want the old ones back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Update: tried rebedding brakes it was an epic failure. The DSC light and yellow BRAKE light came on during the process. And then turned it’s self off later, guess it’s time to spend double the amount of money to do the same job twice. I love spending money to attempt to make something better and just turns out worse.

Also FCP Euro is playing hardball I may as well just call my credit card company and back charge them for a defective product.
Did the DSC and brake lights stay on for an extended period ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
They stayed on for about 15 min of driving after the lights were triggered. I parked the car went to work and when I got back to my car after work both lights were gone when I started it. Heating up the brakes excessively is what seemed to trigger it. I was also lightly riding the break on the highway, most of my shimmy comes from light braking, tried to see if it would smooth out. And maybe about a half a mile of lightly riding the brakes those lights came on. They went off after next restart on there own.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Can you just call Zimmerman directly and tell them what happened? I hate to say it but it's really not FCP's problem since it's not their product. I know they have the warranty, but, yeah. Maybe Zimmerman will send you a new set for free. I doubt they will want the old ones back.
FCP is playing the middle man on the claim to Zimmerman for labor costs. FCP is refunding me in full off of my complaint without asking for the old rotors back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It’s the authorized retailer who sold you the products responsibility to correct the situation, as FCP is doing. Buy something from TMS and it’s defective? They send you an RMA, they’d never ask you to contact a manufacturer in Germany who only deals wholesale and try and work out a refund.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Zimmerman fronts. it’s such bs they were bad out of the box. FCP wants me to pay for new ones first, then I have to pay my Indy AGAIN to re install, then pay to ship them back I don’t even want to deal with it I’m just going to try slowly heating the brakes with a few slow stops then do 8 or so rapid hard stops 60-20
Buy their new rotors, and then ship old ones back. That process has been this way since they started lifetime warranty. If it is bad out of the box, it will continue to cause issues until you have it turned or repalcements. It is very easy to replace rotors yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I’m ready to buy new fronts. Is there any options besides genuine BMW rotors with solid results

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I recently replaced my rotors with Ate coated rotors front and rear. No issues here. Alllmost got the Zimmermans, but both were coated and the Ates cost less. Using the OEM Jurid and Textar pads. I have also used Meyle coated rotors in the past on multiple cars with no issues. Plenty of options out there.
where did you find those?

·
Registered
361 Posts
where did you find those?
I got mine (Ate brand) from RM European but you can also get them at Autohaus AZ and Pelican Parts. I think ECS and Pelican have the Meyle rotors.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts