BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did new rotors and pads all around and I’m having brake shudder. The car doesn’t roll backwards as easy as it used to in neutral when on an incline and my front right wheel is coated much darker with brake dust than the other side. Car is at Indy right now for a suspected seized caliper and I cannot find any sites online that stock the OEM caliper. Any advice on where I can find a new one? I don’t know the condition of the caliper and if it can be rebuilt or not I’m aware of the rebuild kits but I don’t know how far gone it is. Should I go aftermarket? Wait or look for OEM? Where can I find one ASAP?

·
Registered
164 Posts
That should do it if you’re caliper is seized, you’ll be replacing all the moving parts that could be stuck. If the caliper itself is somehow broken, ECS has rebuilt ones for sale (also rebuild kits) or try clemster, he’s got parts for days.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That should do it if you’re caliper is seized, you’ll be replacing all the moving parts that could be stuck. If the caliper itself is somehow broken, ECS has rebuilt ones for sale (also rebuild kits) or try clemster, he’s got parts for days.
Thanks for your feedback. How long/difficult of a job is this?

checked ECS didn’t see a front right rebuild on there. How do I get a hold of Clemster?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ah right, the ecs rebuilt caliper is by centric, not sure what that means (perhaps they just do the work?).

I haven’t personally seen a caliper issue that a rebuild won’t fix, but it does happen. A rebuild is a very straightforward job if you have the proper tools - for me the worst part is dealing with the brake fluid. Hard for me to to gauge how long it would take someone else to do it, and I’m not sure what the book time on it is (maybe someone else can chime in here).

bimmerworld has new calipers (449 for a front) if you want to replace. Do a search for clemster on the board you can PM him. I’ve ordered about 12 things from him and always had an excellent experience.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: calipers are fine turns out rotors were bad out of the box. They’re from FCP euro hopefully they can help ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zimmerman fronts. it’s such bs they were bad out of the box. FCP wants me to pay for new ones first, then I have to pay my Indy AGAIN to re install, then pay to ship them back I don’t even want to deal with it I’m just going to try slowly heating the brakes with a few slow stops then do 8 or so rapid hard stops 60-20

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Zimmerman fronts. it’s such bs they were bad out of the box. FCP wants me to pay for new ones first, then I have to pay my Indy AGAIN to re install, then pay to ship them back I don’t even want to deal with it I’m just going to try slowly heating the brakes with a few slow stops then do 8 or so rapid hard stops 60-20
Surprised to hear that about FCP. They are generally well regarded and tout their lifetime warranty even on wear parts. Contact Kyle, he is apparently the head of marketing and see if he can help. They spend a lot of $$$ on advertising. Let him know you are an M5 board member.

[email protected]

If it doesn't resolve quickly, I would just call the credit card company and back charge for defective product and then go elsewhere. Not much you can do about the labor, just the parts.

Doing high speed stops really won't do much unless you get some very aggressive race pads. Driven at street temps, they are very abrasive and will help some. But with a brand new setup, I would opt to replace the defective part.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: Itrucknyc

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jerry Thank you for this! I’m a new member here and this forum is excellent. Finding helpful advice on these cars that were made 20 years ago. Such great knowledge and help here, your feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Jerry Thank you for this! I’m a new member here and this forum is excellent. Finding helpful advice on these cars that were made 20 years ago. Such great knowledge and help here, you’re feedback is much appreciated.
Just paying it forward. I have received TONS of help here over the years!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also got a bad set of Zimmerman fronts, the 2 piece rotors, not ordered from FCP. Mine were warped and caused me such a headache trying to figure out a shimmy, the last thing I was looking for was brand new rotors not being true. They got worse as they were used. l even tried multiple bedding ins on race pads, street pads, shimmy only got more intense as they got hotter.

Im going to be avoiding Zimmerman in the future, can you get a different brand from them? If you must have the 2 piece you can still get the Motorsport version (original bmw, cross drilled and can match to the e46 csl rear) from bimmerworld, but you’ll need a euro VIN to order them, maybe you can borrow a vin number?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I felt the same way chasing down the brake shimmy, we checked the thrust bushings,tie rods control arms l, calipers, all that good stuff up front. Like you said the last thing I was thinking were brand new rotors. I’m not sure what I’m going to do, I don’t have much knowledge on e39 rotors and I trusted FCP and the Zimms with all the great reviews they had, I’ll probably try a new pair of Zimms. All they have are those or genuine BMW. The email was sent to Kyle requesting a refund or new rotors I’ll keep you guys updated thanks for all the help from everybody

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Yes I felt the same way chasing down the brake shimmy, we checked the thrust bushings,tie rods control arms l, calipers, all that good stuff up front. Like you said the last thing I was thinking were brand new rotors. I’m not sure what I’m going to do, I don’t have much knowledge on e39 rotors and I trusted FCP and the Zimms with all the great reviews they had, I’ll probably try a new pair of Zimms. All they have are those or genuine BMW. The email was sent to Kyle requesting a refund or new rotors I’ll keep you guys updated thanks for all the help from everybody
See if Centric makes rotors for your car.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I have my experiences with all of the above. (Sorry Stoptech :( )

My rule of thumb has been well worked, always OEM in front, zimmerman in back. I have only had OEM's go out of round but no more than 3.2 thousandths at 55k+

Every Zimmerman in the front I've had went out of spec prematurely at some point. It got to the point of 10 thousandths on otherwise perfect suspension. Rears have been complacent oddly enough. Switched to OEM and never had an issue agian.

Reactions: Itrucknyc

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With my experience after the new Zimmerman set up all around the braking system seemed great for a couple of weeks and then the shimmy started. I wonder if re bedding will help

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I did my brake job for my M5 and M3 and A4 I went with centric high carbon. They’ve been great and I plan o purchase them again when it’s time for new rotors again. The A4 is my daily driver with posi quiet ceramic pads. Same pads for the M5. I love them

1 - 20 of 64 Posts