BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do the front brakes on my 2008 Ford Escape. For this work I don't need a caliper reset tool, but I was wondering if the M needs a tool like this for when the time comes.

Example:
Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Service Tool Kit Pc

Thanks in advance. Read a few old brake threads, but didn't see the answer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ive never used one. I actually have a sqaure plate with a threaded rod through the center with a nut on the top and then on the other side I just rest another square plate and then just compress the piston.

This has always worked for me with no issues. In an emergency I have used a large C clamp but that tends to mark up the caliper because one side of the clamp will be on the outer surface.

Hopefully I answered your question.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I use a big ol' C clap and the old pad to push back the piston. No problems after many brake jobs form what I could see.

Reactions: zed.inc

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
For the M5 a big "c"-clamp is all you need. M Acura rear calipers used a power screw to hold the piston in the extended position. To reset the piston I use this...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I'm about to do the front brakes on my 2008 Ford Escape. For this work I don't need a caliper reset tool, but I was wondering if the M needs a tool like this for when the time comes.

Example:
Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Service Tool Kit Pc

Thanks in advance. Read a few old brake threads, but didn't see the answer.
Even Midas doesn't need that! That's way overkill hiha

How do you get the pistons out without compressed air or filling the chamber with grease?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Pneumatics or hydraulics, same difference.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I didn't think so, but you never know. After more research it looks like the calipers that need their pistons twisted back in are ones where the caliper is the parking brake as well. I guess since we have parking brake shoes there's no need. Good!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ive never used one. I actually have a sqaure plate with a threaded rod through the center with a nut on the top and then on the other side I just rest another square plate and then just compress the piston.

This has always worked for me with no issues. In an emergency I have used a large C clamp but that tends to mark up the caliper because one side of the clamp will be on the outer surface.

Hopefully I answered your question.
thats my favorite tool when doing my brakes, need to upgrade to bbks so life can be easier lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts