BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My newly acquired M5 has a 'check brake lights' warning on the dash display.

Have checked the bulbs, but both look good. The o/s socket however, looks burnt. But.. When I have enquired into a replacement all of the new ones appear to be a different part?

I will attempt to upload a photo or two for you guys to check out.

The car is a 2001 model.

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not sure what is going on with the socket, the area around tail light looks like someone tried to seal up a water leak that might have contributed to the issue. However, if the brake light is functioning properly, did you check the CHMSL (the center brake light in the rear window)? I once had a similar problem and finally realized the center light was out, just didn't think to check it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Someone has done an extensive hack in there. The wiring and socket are nothing like the stock components. Take some pictures of the other side including the wiring harness.
Depends on want you want to do here, get a functional light or get back to the stock setup.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The original socket melted along with the socket hole, so a replacement socket would no longer properly fit.

So, prior owner did a make shift job using a different socket probably wired down to the power for the brake, rather than replacing the entire taillight housing. A la Mickey.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had that pesky check brake light message come on when I first bought my car a few months back. For me, it was the centre brake light, however the socket was partially burnt, so I replaced with a new one. No problems since!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts