BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone had the weirdest thing happen today. Went to get a car wash after they dry the car I get in and the car is misfiring. Felt like it wasn't getting fuel. I looked and my gas light was on so maybe I ran out. So I putted over to the gas station filled up and still the same thing. Get home, car dies a couple times on the way, check engine light on. Im thinking the worst of course like their goes the engine. I call my shop and tell them what happened and they think my drain hole plugged. So I lifted up the cabin air filter looked underneath and sure enough its filled with water. I took a clothes hanger and started fishing out leaves and poking through then all of a sudden broke through something and all the water started draining. Started the car and it was still doing the same thing but not nearly as bad. Drove over to the shop and they hooked up a suction device right into the brake booster and sucked a bunch of more water out. Guy reset the light engine ran fine it didn't come back. Car runs like a beast again. I asked if I needed to bleed the brake lines or anything he was like no your totally fine. So I left. Basically I just want to confirm does anyone know if I need to bleed anything after this? My thought is I got some water in the brake system right? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Yeah, that can happen especially if you don't clean the drain tubes on the cabin filter boxes / other debris from that area... it's probably fine for now, but I'd replace the brake booster sooner rather than later...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, that can happen especially if you don't clean the drain tubes on the cabin filter boxes / other debris from that area... it's probably fine for now, but I'd replace the brake booster sooner rather than later...
Thanks for the reply. Well I asked if I needed to replace it and he was like most likely your fine. Usually you do if you've had water in there for a long time but other than that it should be ok. So I don't know. Im a small DIYer but I don't know that much. But I don't need to bleed anything? He said they have only had to replace the brake booster maybe once because of this and it was because it had water in there for so long it rusted.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
It's really a question of: did they get all the water out or not? If this is the first time it's happened and you're reasonably confident it's clean, let it ride. Shouldn't have to bleed anything though, but it wouldn't hurt to bleed the brakes / clutch line either.

The other option is you can be in Moab and have your brake booster have water in it and freeze overnight, making every press of the brake pedal lock the pads to the rotors, and decide it's probably best just to cut your losses and drive 12 hours back to SJC only making three stops for gas...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's really a question of: did they get all the water out or not? If this is the first time it's happened and you're reasonably confident it's clean, let it ride. Shouldn't have to bleed anything though, but it wouldn't hurt to bleed the brakes / clutch line either.

The other option is you can be in Moab and have your brake booster have water in it and freeze overnight, making every press of the brake pedal lock the pads to the rotors, and decide it's probably best just to cut your losses and drive 12 hours back to SJC only making three stops for gas...
Ha thanks. Well its the first time its happened. Im going to clean out that drain hole better once I get the chance. I feel like I dodged a bullet. I thought something major happened.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did, you could have hydro-locked the engine...
Yeah thats what I thought. Once I lifted that air cabin filter and saw all that water I had that feeling deep in my stomach. I keep this car clean though. Always clean the leaves out etc. So I'm not sure what plugged it. There was a couple of leaves down there but not anything crazy.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
The hole isn't that big (#TWSS) so it's mostly likely just years of a little bit here and a little bit there, or something larger just happened to block it recently and bad luck / timing. I always keep that area clear and it still happened to me...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hole isn't that big (#TWSS) so it's mostly likely just years of a little bit here and a little bit there, or something larger just happened to block it recently and bad luck / timing. I always keep that area clear and it still happened to me...
Yeah. Good to know. Thanks for the replies. Would have been horrible to have something bad happen to the engine because of something silly like this especially right before the holidays.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
No worries, glad it worked out. Also, of you want / need wrenching help, let me know. I have a couple of garages here and there are currently four E39 M5s here (including a Dinan S3) along with some other German marques...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries, glad it worked out. Also, of you want / need wrenching help, let me know. I have a couple of garages here and there are currently four E39 M5s here (including a Dinan S3) along with some other German marques...
Oh wow. For sure man. What garage?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Just to confirm, the hydraulic system is separate from the "booster" system. Getting water in the booster does not result in needing to bleed the brakes.

I 2nd that you probably want to replace the booster at some point. I had this happen to me years ago. The water turned rusty and also froze on me in winter. Your best bet is if you live in a hot/dry climate that MAYBE whatever water is left after suction will evaporate, but no guarantee.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Had this happen to me after my car was left out in a snow storm for 48 hours. Snow melted and water got in the booster. I had the fluid sucked out by BMW and everything was ok. Eventually, and after the car sat without normal daily driving for a couple of months, the water situation returned slightly (I think it may have had condensation?) and when I braked hard the car would drop in idle rpm and almost die, but it would also make a gurgling/bubbling sound. I began to drive the car regularly and the water gurgle and drop in rpm at idle with brake eventually applied subsided and after a couple months, has not returned . I was encouraged to replace the booster by the mechanic (of course) but I decided to wait and see. Turns out the car drives great, brakes as it should and the booster works without a problem or symptoms of water inside.

Best thing to avoid this situation is by making sure the drain hole below the booster is free of debris and also that the cabin filter housing is installed correctly so water drains in the proper direction.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts