BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work today and as soon as I got into a backroad, I decided to try to see how it feels like to brake using the left foot.

I find that using my right foot is nice and smooth, and I really have to step on it in order to "slam on the brakes."

So I was doing about 30, put it in neutral, and put my left foot on the brake pedal. Had I not been wearing a seatbelt, I wouldve had a steering wheel for breakfast. WTF!! I tried this a number of times again and again and i found myself braking hard using my left foot and a heck of a lot less efffort than I need if I use my right foot to brake with the same power.

I'm looking for some enlightenment in this. Why do I slam on the brakes by just touching the pedal with my left foot? Is it all in my head?

·
Registered
100 Posts
It just takes a lot of practice. I drive a Ford F150 (Auto) most of the time and always left foot brake in it. But as soon as I'm in the BMW I'm back to using the right foot most of the time. I don't even think about it anymore.

I also do some club racing and can switch back and forth between LFB and RFB depending on if I need to down shift for the corner or not. It's just a matter of getting the feet trained. :D

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I'm looking for some enlightenment in this. Why do I slam on the brakes by just touching the pedal with my left foot? Is it all in my head?
youre not accustomed to it... think about picking up a pen and writing with the opposite, or pitching south paw... takes a lot of practice... i used to spend a great deal of time driving, so i would do this all the time... now i only use the left foot for clutch/braking when engaging in spirited driving...

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just seemed weird that barely touching the pedal with the left foot would get the same effect as stepping through the floorboard with my right foot.

At any rate, it feels less awkward than heel&toe at this point, though I dont see myself needing to use any of these techniques (except for rev matching while braking)

·
Registered
13,003 Posts
It just seemed weird that barely touching the pedal with the left foot would get the same effect as stepping through the floorboard with my right foot.

At any rate, it feels less awkward than heel&toe at this point, though I dont see myself needing to use any of these techniques (except for rev matching while braking)

I suspect that it is just a difference in pressure.

Your left leg is not accustomed to doing the braking and while you may think the left leg is pushing at the same intensity level as the right, it is not. The brake pedal does not care what part of the body pushes it, it is a mechanical device, muliplied by the power assist.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I disagree... the car knows what foot you are using and reacts differently when you use the wrong leg.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I've done this numerous times just for $h*ts and giggles. I realized that the only time I use my left foot it is to step on the clutch so when i used my left foot on the brake, my leg automatically applies that same force(which is normally used on the clutch) on the brake, causing me to kiss the steering.

·
Registered
410 Posts
LOL ... exact same thing happened to me and boy it was pretty shocking. I think I have to agree with TopEnd on this one. I never heard my tires screech like the day I tried this ...frigging hilarious!

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Did you follow the BMW Brake Reset Procedure as specified in TIS before using your left foot?

Your dealer needs to perform it - costs an arm and a leg...

d-

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you follow the BMW Brake Reset Procedure as specified in TIS before using your left foot?

Your dealer needs to perform it - costs an arm and a leg...

d-
:confused2:confused2:confused2:confused2 What does it involve?

·
Registered
13,003 Posts
Uh, I think he is looking to sell you some waterfront property too......:biggrinbounce:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh, I think he is looking to sell you some waterfront property too......:biggrinbounce:
Regards,
Jerry
I'm low on blinker fluid, too.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I don't know - I only brake with my right foot.

I just remember the dealer telling me that the pedals are arranged differently (just like between UK and US) so there is a set up procedure...

d-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts