BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recieved my braille 15lb battery and its tiny. i cant wait to get it into the m. To keep it in place im using a small garbage bag and filling it with "GREAT STUFF" and just setting the battery in the middle until it stifens up. i cant take credit for the idea because my step dad suggested it. But i have taken comparison pictures so ill post them on here when i get out of work. btw i paid 164 with shipping from tirerack. they had the best price.

:flag:

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
oem is on the left. braille on the right. in case you were unsure...
Specs on the braille in comparison to OE?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
939 Posts
Do you think you'll have it installed within the next day or so? It would have been interesting to see how it would have withstood the cold temperatures that we have right now.

I recall member 6speed having trouble with the voltphreaks battery when it got cold (thread here) and sat without a trickle charger.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh well i dont care about that as i do not drive my girl at all in this upsetting weather. i am all honda these days.

·
Registered
939 Posts
oh well i dont care about that as i do not drive my girl at all in this upsetting weather. i am all honda these days.
That is kind of what I was getting to. If you let your car sit for more that a couple days without a trickle charge, the voltphreaks ran down to the point where you couldn't start the car.

I have driven my car (on stock battery) once every couple weeks when it was dry and clean enough outside. I don't have it on a trickle charger, but I have had not problems starting.

I was curious if the Braille would be able to withstand longish periods of time (more than a week or two) without a trickle charger in the cold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Braille battery is manufactured by East Penn Mfg., it's not designed to be used to start a car. It's got less that 400cca(cold cranking [email protected]). It a power sport battery(atvs-motorcycles-light watercraft). If you think it would run the electrial needs of a car like a M5, you're set up for a disapointment. I can't believe they would market it as a replacment battery for a car like a M5. Shame on Braille!!!!!

David---Redy Battery Co.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The Braille battery is manufactured by East Penn Mfg., it's not designed to be used to start a car. It's got less that 400cca(cold cranking [email protected]). It a power sport battery(atvs-motorcycles-light watercraft). If you think it would run the electrial needs of a car like a M5, you're set up for a disapointment. I can't believe they would market it as a replacment battery for a car like a M5. Shame on Braille!!!!!

David---Redy Battery Co.

what cost effiecient/light weight battery would you reccomend? our main goal is to drop as much weight as possible reliably...and cost effectively :1zhelp:

-Leo

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this battery will start the car without a problem. it wont be plugged in over the winter. when i start driving daily i will plug it up. until then if i feel the need to drive her i will connect it and go for a drive. then just disconnect it again.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I just can't see that lasting very long or being able to supply an M5 with the juice it needs. Sorry, I hope am wrong for your sake.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
from what i have read it should have more than enough power to start the car not looking to be bumpin in my garage with the engine off. people are running 6lb batteries in some of their cars.

·
Registered
553 Posts
from what i have read it should have more than enough power to start the car not looking to be bumpin in my garage with the engine off. people are running 6lb batteries in some of their cars.
If you dont mind push starting every morning, that may work.

400cca will never turn a 5.0L V8, let alone start it. I would also be concerned that it will heat up while taking a high rpm charge from the 150A alternator.

Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
heres some specs. keep in mind the car is only used in the summer and i am disconnecting the battery when i park until i get a trickle charger just to be on the safe side. the car doesnt draw that much power when sleeping. only makes a huge difference when leaving parked for a week or more at a time.

Specs
Casing: Carbon composite shell and polymer plastic
Weight: 15 lbs.
Length: 6.8"
Width: 3.4"
Height: 6.1"
Pulse Cranking Amps: 1,067
Cranking Amps: 574
Cold Cranking Amps: 425
Amp Hour Rating: 21
Warranty: 1-year free replacement
Battery Type: Sealed rechargeable deep-cycle
Mounting: Vertical or horizontal
Automotive Posts: Included

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and please guys, fill me in if you have experience not just skepticism. thanks a lot. i am skeptical myself so its not helping when i hear it from others. if you know what you are talking about and have personal experience and knowledge, then please chime in. thanks again everyone....

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
heres some specs. keep in mind the car is only used in the summer and i am disconnecting the battery when i park until i get a trickle charger just to be on the safe side. the car doesnt draw that much power when sleeping. only makes a huge difference when leaving parked for a week or more at a time.

Specs
Casing: Carbon composite shell and polymer plastic
Weight: 15 lbs.
Length: 6.8"
Width: 3.4"
Height: 6.1"
Pulse Cranking Amps: 1,067
Cranking Amps: 574
Cold Cranking Amps: 425
Amp Hour Rating: 21
Warranty: 1-year free replacement
Battery Type: Sealed rechargeable deep-cycle
Mounting: Vertical or horizontal
Automotive Posts: Included
For a summer vehicle, trickle charge when not in use, this should be ok.

HOWEVER, bear in mind that if you let it sit for a few days off charger, or listen to your radio / use the aux venting with the car off, you are likely to be push starting. 21Ah is the killer here - stock is 100Ah, and people occasionally have trouble with that!

As for cold starting, I'll be very interested to see if you can - I doubt it, but as you said it won't matter other than for curiousity sake :)

I hope the battery works out for you - in your specific situation it sounds like it should...

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I have experience with the Voltphreaks 6 pound battery. I tested it El Diablo with all the accessories turned on (incl headlights and power-hungry intercooler pump). The car started right up. I was amazed.

The VP 6 pounder has the following specs:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=450 align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Cranking Amps (CA) </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>900 amps </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>625 amps </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>reserve capacity (RC) </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>40 minutes </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Capacity </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>18Ah </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Braille battery may be a reasonable and cheaper alternative to the Voltphreaks battery. But an ultra lightweight battery carries some limitations. From the Voltphreaks website:

Voltphreaks batteries are designed for those in the racing market who want to save weight. These are the ultimate, lightest weight race battery on the market for their cranking power. Rated for track use only, not recommended for use in extreme cold weather or for long term parking.

These batteries are a drop-in replacement for your lead-acid battery, and are compatible with lead-acid chargers, alternators, etc. Once installed, you can forget about it during normal usage. During charging and jump starting, you need to follow the instructions in the manual. Basically you treat this as you would a small motorcycle battery. For example, when jump starting a motorcycle from a car, you never turn on the car's engine. Same for the Voltphreaks battery.

I'd imagine these limitations would also apply to the Braille 15 pounder.

If you never want to think about your battery, an ultra lightweight is not for you. However, if you want to shed an easy 50+ lbs of fat from your car and don't mind tending the battery, an ultra lightweight can't be beat.

Dave

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
I have experience with the Voltphreaks 6 pound battery. I tested it El Diablo with all the accessories turned on (incl headlights and power-hungry intercooler pump). The car started right up. I was amazed.

The VP 6 pounder has the following specs:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=450 align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Cranking Amps (CA) </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>900 amps </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>625 amps </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>reserve capacity (RC) </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>40 minutes </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Capacity </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>18Ah </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Here are the specs for the Odyssey for comparison (I think someone posted the specs on the stock battery), which weighs about the same as a stock battery:

1700 cranking amps for 5 seconds
1540 cranking amps for 10 seconds
1355 cranking amps for 20 seconds
Short circuit current over 3500A
68 amp hours
142 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
CCA - 875

Regards,
Jerry

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
I just purchased the Braille 17lbs B2317. If you do the math it comes out to about 4.8HP equivalent increase(45lbs shaved off OEM). We'll see how it performs in a warm climate.Braille Battery - B2317

1 - 20 of 40 Posts