BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WIth 15K on my '03's clock, and just one year as the original owner, I decided to buy both the extended warranty (THe BMW Original Owner Protection Program) and BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade. Together they cost me $5K, covers me up to 72 months and 100K, of course they kick-in after the original warranty and maintenace expire (in my case probably in two more years - as I drive 15K per year). I should be in good shape now until March 2010. Of course there will be non covered costs, oil changes every 5K or so (jury is still out on that), tires, clutch, and any upgrade I desire (ie dampers, differential, anti-sway bars). Peace of mind as I drive it to 100K. There is a $50 deductible and they refund the full amount if the car is totalled before the extension period starts.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
where did you buy it from?

FWIW, my dealer told me the extended maintaince program (extends service to 6yr 100K miles) for an '05 745Li, has a dealer's cost of around $1400

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
KirklandM5 said:
where did you buy it from?

FWIW, my dealer told me the extended maintaince program (extends service to 6yr 100K miles) for an '05 745Li, has a dealer's cost of around $1400
Bought them from BMW Beverly Hills, where I got my car. I do not recall the breakdown between the maintenance and warranty though I think your number is very close. the big chunk is the warranty. to me they are a bargain as I am a spirited driver...and I previously had a wrist pin go bad in the 80's on one of those crap 528e cars. That was a $4K repair bill at 54K on the clock- just out of warranty. BMW NA, to their credit, helped me out on that one. I was very pleased with BMW NA for their goodwill, however I do not want to play with chance again.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
This a well discussed subject, but what is the extended warranty cost? Is it truely a BMW program or the CPO version we are all familiar with?

Mark

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
MAH said:
This a well discussed subject, but what is the extended warranty cost? Is it truely a BMW program or the CPO version we are all familiar with?

Mark
THe total cost for both was $5K. The portion for the "warranty" was about $3700. I would only buy the original manufacturers warranty as aftermarket ones in my opinion are like a box of chocolates...
The dealer had to access BMW NA's on-line system to get these. THe documentation says BMW of North America, LLC. The only open issue (and not a small one either) is how does it vary from the original warranty. According to my SA it is the same as the original warranty, merely an extension as what is covered is referring to the original warranty. The document says at the top "The BMW Original Owner Protection Program." Now it will be a couple of years until it begins so I can not provide any further details until and if I have an episode. Hope these answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
dmccrary90025 said:
Of course there will be non covered costs, oil changes every 5K or so (jury is still out on that), tires, clutch...
You might want to check the maintenance program definition. Mine explicitly includes the clutch as a wear item covered my maintenance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
dmccrary90025 said:
The only open issue (and not a small one either) is how does it vary from the original warranty. According to my SA it is the same as the original warranty, merely an extension as what is covered is referring to the original warranty. The document says at the top "The BMW Original Owner Protection Program."
Personally, I think your SA is misinformed. The BMW documentation I've seen describes this "extended warranty" as identical to the CPO coverage and is not an extension of the original new car warranty.

I've attached the BMW Service Information Bulletins describing both the extended warranty and the extended maintenance.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mdernst said:
Personally, I think your SA is misinformed. The BMW documentation I've seen describes this "extended warranty" as identical to the CPO coverage and is not an extension of the original new car warranty.

I've attached the BMW Service Information Bulletins describing both the extended warranty and the extended maintenance.
Thanks for the attachments. Let me do some futher verification Monday AM and get back on this.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
mdernst said:

Thanks for the PDF of the SIB for the Original Owners Protection Plan (extended warranty). I just recently spoke with the financial person at my local BMW dealership and after asking specifically for info on the BMW warranty, was told the plan was administered by an outside company at terms/prices different then I thought were correct. Now I have have proof to back up my suspicions. The SIB looks like it's dated July 2004--I'm assuming that this is the most current one?
Thanks again!
Anita

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
mdernst said:

Mike E.
You are correct on the Warranty. It is essentially a CPO. Though not as comprehensive as I had hoped, I still feel this is the best chance of satisfaction in the event of a catastrophic failure (ie engine or other drive train components), and that BMW NA will be around 3ish years from now to cover. Anyway, thanks for the info. , very helpful. I am still awaiting for the actual contract from the dealer. By the way, this contract can be cancelled and refunded pro-rata, unlike the CPO. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts