BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after a couple of weeks of debating (or torture as my wife puts it ouich ) I’m going with the 03’ M5 over the new M3. I just feel so at home in the M5. Could be that this will be my 4th 5 series and my 2nd M5! :wroom:

Anyway I have a couple of questions:
1. Brakes-After living my Cayenne Turbo and driving the M3 with the Competition package I have been spoiled by excellent brakes. My goal is to improve both the feel and performance. I don’t’ know If I want to go all the way to full brake upgrade just yet. Maybe pads and lines?
2. Suspension-Same as above. I realize I’m never going to get the M5 to feel the M3 but I would like to tighten things up a bit without compromising the ride.
3. Steering-The M5 feels a little over boosted compared to these others. Is there anything that can be done?
4. Exhaust-My last M5 had a BB Triflow Muffler. While I thought is sounded great I did experience some in cabinet boom at lower RPM’s. Also when I pulled into the garage I would wake up the family. I would only be looking for mufflers or CAT back. Headers would be great but too much $.
5. Ipod integration-From what I have read it looks like the Denison Icelink + is the way to go. Thoughts?
6. Bluetooth-Anyone have any experience with the T-mobile Blackberry 7100? It is the best phone I have ever owned and would love to integrate it.

I look forward to everyone’s feedback.
I’ll post pictures and video over the next week.

·
Registered
445 Posts
In regards to the last question about bluetooth, it will integrate with the 7100... The only thing is you would have to manually transfer the phone book.
I also have the Icelink + and love it... :M5thumbs:

trans_lux said:
Ok so after a couple of weeks of debating (or torture as my wife puts it ouich ) I’m going with the 03’ M5 over the new M3. I just feel so at home in the M5. Could be that this will be my 4th 5 series and my 2nd M5! :wroom:

Anyway I have a couple of questions:
1. Brakes-After living my Cayenne Turbo and driving the M3 with the Competition package I have been spoiled by excellent brakes. My goal is to improve both the feel and performance. I don’t’ know If I want to go all the way to full brake upgrade just yet. Maybe pads and lines?
2. Suspension-Same as above. I realize I’m never going to get the M5 to feel the M3 but I would like to tighten things up a bit without compromising the ride.
3. Steering-The M5 feels a little over boosted compared to these others. Is there anything that can be done?
4. Exhaust-My last M5 had a BB Triflow Muffler. While I thought is sounded great I did experience some in cabinet boom at lower RPM’s. Also when I pulled into the garage I would wake up the family. I would only be looking for mufflers or CAT back. Headers would be great but too much $.
5. Ipod integration-From what I have read it looks like the Denison Icelink + is the way to go. Thoughts?
6. Bluetooth-Anyone have any experience with the T-mobile Blackberry 7100? It is the best phone I have ever owned and would love to integrate it.

I look forward to everyone’s feedback.
I’ll post pictures and video over the next week.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bought the kit from Crevier and installed it myself. BMW officially has a retrofit kit for the pre 03/02's now. I love my 7100G... did you install VeriChat and the Texas Hold'em game from PDAapps yet? If not, I highly recommend getting it! both are great when you're waiting for a flight at the airport! :thumbsup:

trans_lux said:
SANguru
Great I realy love my 7100.
Did you have the dealer provide the Blutooth upgrade?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
For exhaust...I would highly recommend Tubi. Best exhaust sound and no reverbation in the cabin. I have the Dinan one myself..but there's a bit of reverbation in the cabin when I first start her up but that goes away after the M5 has warmed up. I also sometimes set off car alarms in underground parking structure. I like doing that though!

For braking, I'd recommend new pads and stainless steel lines all the way around if you're not interested in a full brake changeover. Make sure that they flush the brake lines properly so that there's little to ZERO air bubbles in the lines. That will help firm up the brake pedal feel. However, for best overall braking upgrades, then a full brake setup will be needed. I have just the front BBK and it made a massive difference for me. My M5 now stops literally on a dime. I've driven stock M5's before and it feels "mushy" by comparison.

I don't think anything can be done to improve the steering feel. It's the limitation of the recirculating ball setup.

Powerchip would be a good upgrade. It really improves the overall performance of the M5 by redefining the power delivery characteristics. One of the most highly recommended recommendations on my part. It also removes the top speed limiter not that you'd ever get to try that out. :hihi:

But by far the BEST upgrade would be the shortshifter. I have the one from autosolutions (ratio 2) and it made a massive difference for me. Shifting is now a joy everytime I get into my M5. Tight, short and direct.

Suspension...I also was looking for something that would firm it up without compromising the ride too much. The coilovers were a bit too stiff for me so I chose to go with Dinan's stage 3 suspension. I'm very happy with the feel. But now they've switched over to the JRZ (sp?) shocks, I've heard it's even better now. This in turn contributes a little bit to improving the steering feel. Or maybe that's psychological. :rolleyes:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Oh, by the way...congratulations on having chosen the M5! Have you already picked one up? What's the specs and pictures please.....

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Trans_lux;
Congrats on the M5!

This is just a comment, not a put down. If you like the feel of the M5, why make it feel more like an M3? I find the M5 has plenty of brakes and handling for the street. The M3 I drove at Indianapolis Raceway Park was far more intense but not much more capable. Sure the M5 has body lean and brakes soft at the top of pedal travel but that makes it a smoother daily driver. I even track my car occasionally and find little that HAS to be upgraded. I've done brake ducts, high temp brake fluid, and a rear sway bar. The brakes now survive a weekend at the track with minimal fade. I think GC camber plates that fit the stock suspension would be next to save tire wear on the track but I'm hesitant to do more of a suspension upgrade and create a harsh ride.

I can't answer for your other questions.

·
10,455 Posts
I also have the dinan stage 3 suspension, and feel it provides much better handling without decreasing ride comfort. I recently drove a friends car with stage 2 dinan, and thing the steering feel is a little better with stage 3, which adds camber plates.
Mike

atomic80 said:
Suspension...I also was looking for something that would firm it up without compromising the ride too much. The coilovers were a bit too stiff for me so I chose to go with Dinan's stage 3 suspension. I'm very happy with the feel. But now they've switched over to the JRZ (sp?) shocks, I've heard it's even better now. This in turn contributes a little bit to improving the steering feel. Or maybe that's psychological. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
1. Brakes will never feel as good as the M3's except possibly if you get a BBK. Not sure why. But SS lines and pads only help a little. The stock M3 brakes just feel firmer.

2. The best compromise in an M5 that I've driven is the Dinan stage 3. Takes out the floaty feeling w/o undue harshness. It's a better ride/handling compromise than the M3's stock suspension but it all depends on what you want. The M5 is plenty fast and pulls plenty hard in turns but doesn't feel as taut or tied down as the M3, probably due to weight and size.

3. All you can do for the steering is use the Sport button. It'll never have the feel/precision of the M3's steering because it's recirculating ball, not rack & pinion like the M3's.

4. Best IMHO is Tubi. Not too loud, no nasty resonances but still a satisfying sound.

5. I could never get my IceLink to work but others have. So I gave up and put it in my M3. Works fine, so it must be an M5 issue.

6. I don't have BT but want to add it now that I have it in my M3 'vert. Here is an excellent source of BT compatibility and other info.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys thanks for feedback.
I need to do this in stages-promised my wife I would only use the proceeds from the stuff I sell. Let me know if you need any high end audio/video or automation for the home. This is what I do for a living and have amassed quite the collection of stuff.

I digress-
Brakes-it sounds like the real solution will be a BBK. Does it look ok with just the fronts? Does anyone have any experience with Alcon or Baer or are they the same company? The cost for the Alcon’s looks very reasonable.

Exhaust-I agree the Tubi sounds great! Just wish it was not so much $

Forgot about the Powerchip-need to do that ASAP.

Jason I agree the short shifter was a great mod on my last car.

Suspension-The Dinan Stage 3 looks to be a great package. Though I like the idea of coilovers. Has anyone used Ohlins or the PSS9?

I’ll have some images and hopefully some video up late next week.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Trans-L,

Less unsprung weight, with K-mac Adjustables is the best way to improve steering.

A BBK and light weight wheels will help as well as Wider front tyres. This all adds to steering feel and feedback and turn in. Good tyres such as PS1 or PS2 and then adjust the tyre pressures for a more neutral handling Beast.

Tubi is an excellent choice and well worth the coin.

If you don't want too much suspension, leave the Springs and shocks Stock, and just do the Two Sway bars, and strut braces and the K-macs. A notable diffference. added to less unsprung weight and wider front tyres.

The Perfect , No compromise choice. :cheers: and congrats on surviving the torture.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
atomic80 said:
I think it's an adjustable camber plate set. See here.
Yes Correct Jayson :cheers:

Make sure you get the V-8 (M5) ones. They have a higher Durometer (Harder Plastic in laymans terms).

Here is the thread that has number's Etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts