BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Both Vanos Bad ?

1695 17
OK,

I know a slight breach of protocall, but I was looking for some quick answers, so I will post first, and also spend the morning researching old threads.

My beast (MY2000 with 85K miles) idling poorly, and running a bit off. I was thinking perhaps CPS or perhaps secondary air system issues (just replaced 2 of those and MAF's a few months back).

The stealership says both Vanos units are bad. Now what is the probability of this, and what other single problem could cause them to reach this conclusion.

Thanks in advance,

ssomed
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13,086 Posts
Are they getting VANO's codes from the GT-1 and if so, ARE THOSE THE ONLY CODES? Often a bad CPS will throw other codes, including VANO's.

I think it is rare for both to go bad at once, although possible.
What is mileage?
+1

You MUST find out what SPECIFIC tests they have perfromed, and the results. If they just pulled OBD codes, list the codes.

If they ran GT1 tests- ***GET THE PRINTED TEST REPORTS** (if they didn't print them, insist they do it again, at no cost, and print them this time!) Dealers usually print it and attach it to the paperwork that you never see,

Post results....

Is this a warranty item under the federal emissions warranty? I think 7/70, except California, where it is 8/80. It might be covered, in which case they can change out both VANO's!!:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry
Only in California is BMW required to offer an emissions warranty that covers VANOS out to 7/70..... Federal is slim and only has 2-3 parts...

A

· Registered
13,086 Posts
So the service adviser calls me back today, states they believe it may be the solenoids rather than the entire vanos units.
It is disturbing to realize that they would have screwed you over for, what, $4000-5000 had you not pushed back.

I'd never go back, but I'm funny that way!

A

· Registered
13,086 Posts
So, what new test did they run to determine maybe the solenoids are NOT OK?

The test was done by the SA:

1. Tell the client the bad news.
2. See if he'll roll over immediately and fork out the big $$$
3. If not, make something up and offer to do more tests... we'll figure out another story.

:)

A

· Registered
13,086 Posts
Just to double-check, does anyone know how many hours labor should be billed on replacing the vanos solenoid on each bank?

It seems I am once bitten, twice shy when it comes to this place.

ssomed
Asking after the fact... perhaps you will find you were TWICE BITTEN.

:)

Seems I recall a first time, non-BMW mechanic doing it in 3 hrs. Not sure what BMW's 'book time' is..which is what you pay no matter how quick or long it takes...

A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.