BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I know a slight breach of protocall, but I was looking for some quick answers, so I will post first, and also spend the morning researching old threads.

My beast (MY2000 with 85K miles) idling poorly, and running a bit off. I was thinking perhaps CPS or perhaps secondary air system issues (just replaced 2 of those and MAF's a few months back).

The stealership says both Vanos units are bad. Now what is the probability of this, and what other single problem could cause them to reach this conclusion.

Thanks in advance,

ssomed

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
They might have said that because you are running the old style vanos units. The old units where replaced with a slight different version. To find out which one's you have take a look at your units, which are located under the big air intake tubes. They are two metal square things.
If you have the old version then there will be one screw in the center holding them in place. If you have the new ones they will have 4 screws.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
old vs new

does it make a difference which vanos units the Beast has?

After reading some old threads, looks like perhaps a vanos solenoid..........now, how to tactfully suggest that they check into this at the stealership?

ssomed

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Do what I do, just tell them straight, its your car.
The only reason I mentioned the new and old vanos is because my car has had the new one's installed by the previous owner and BMW would not just change something for the sake of it, there must have been a fault with the old type. Changes are you have got the new type because from what I have read here the old ones would go wrong before the warranty ran out.

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
does it make a difference which vanos units the Beast has?

After reading some old threads, looks like perhaps a vanos solenoid..........now, how to tactfully suggest that they check into this at the stealership?

ssomed
Are they getting VANO's codes from the GT-1 and if so, ARE THOSE THE ONLY CODES? Often a bad CPS will throw other codes, including VANO's.

I think it is rare for both to go bad at once, although possible.
What is mileage?

Is this a warranty item under the federal emissions warranty? I think 7/70, except California, where it is 8/80. It might be covered, in which case they can change out both VANO's!!:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Are they getting VANO's codes from the GT-1 and if so, ARE THOSE THE ONLY CODES? Often a bad CPS will throw other codes, including VANO's.

I think it is rare for both to go bad at once, although possible.
What is mileage?
+1

You MUST find out what SPECIFIC tests they have perfromed, and the results. If they just pulled OBD codes, list the codes.

If they ran GT1 tests- ***GET THE PRINTED TEST REPORTS** (if they didn't print them, insist they do it again, at no cost, and print them this time!) Dealers usually print it and attach it to the paperwork that you never see,

Post results....

Is this a warranty item under the federal emissions warranty? I think 7/70, except California, where it is 8/80. It might be covered, in which case they can change out both VANO's!!:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry
Only in California is BMW required to offer an emissions warranty that covers VANOS out to 7/70..... Federal is slim and only has 2-3 parts...

A

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GT 1 testing

Thanks for the info everyone!

Mileage is 85K miles, so out of emissions now.

Yes they did run the specific Vanos test (I will look at the numbers later today at the shop).

I did challenge them about CPS (no applicable codes), and crankshaft sensor s (since I had a new clutch last year).

There was no oil leakage at the vanos 0-rings, and they stated the solenoids were ok (would they get that from the specific GT1 vanos test?).

FYI, a helpful thread is from Shakazulu 12 on 1/29/07: about half-way down the thread Shadowman posted a great overview of vanos-related issues.

ssomed

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Wow This really bites. What are they saying about the CPS!?!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this could be a good thing.........

So the service adviser calls me back today, states they believe it may be the solenoids rather than the entire vanos units.

once again, thanks to the board, this could save much wasted $$$

I will let you know once I get her back.

ssomed

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
So the service adviser calls me back today, states they believe it may be the solenoids rather than the entire vanos units.
It is disturbing to realize that they would have screwed you over for, what, $4000-5000 had you not pushed back.

I'd never go back, but I'm funny that way!

A

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
It is disturbing to realize that they would have screwed you over for, what, $4000-5000 had you not pushed back.

I'd never go back, but I'm funny that way!

A
+1. In the OP's post above, he indicates the dealership told him:

they stated the solenoids were ok (would they get that from the specific GT1 vanos test?).
So, what new test did they run to determine maybe the solenoids are NOT OK? Not exactly confidence inspiring diagnosis.......:eek:oohhh:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have been seeing this more and more with guys running 5W30 or have you always used 10W60. If its a second owner car the first owner could have used 5W30. That oil is not made for these high pressure VANOS units and all of the M5's running 5W30 will have VANOS issues its just a matter of time.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
So, what new test did they run to determine maybe the solenoids are NOT OK?

The test was done by the SA:

1. Tell the client the bad news.
2. See if he'll roll over immediately and fork out the big $$$
3. If not, make something up and offer to do more tests... we'll figure out another story.

:)

A

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stealership

Got her back, running great, no SES light. I must say having the beast running well always lifts my spirits.

Just to double-check, does anyone know how many hours labor should be billed on replacing the vanos solenoid on each bank?

It seems I am once bitten, twice shy when it comes to this place.

ssomed

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Just to double-check, does anyone know how many hours labor should be billed on replacing the vanos solenoid on each bank?

It seems I am once bitten, twice shy when it comes to this place.

ssomed
Asking after the fact... perhaps you will find you were TWICE BITTEN.

Seems I recall a first time, non-BMW mechanic doing it in 3 hrs. Not sure what BMW's 'book time' is..which is what you pay no matter how quick or long it takes...

A

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
The test was done by the SA:

1. Tell the client the bad news.
2. See if he'll roll over immediately and fork out the big $$$
3. If not, make something up and offer to do more tests... we'll figure out another story.

A

:1::thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts