BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car washed the other day and the guy moved my seat around. "no problem," I thought, that's what memory seats are for. When I pressed the memory button I noticed that as the seat back was moving backwards, only one side was reclining while the other appeared to be stuck. Quite uncomfortable trying to drive when you are in the "drift" position during your daily commute. I just put the seat at a 90 degree angle and pretended I was racing everywhere I went and eventually it seemed to have fixed itself. After the next car wash I noticed the same thing is happening to my passenger seat too! I was alarmed when I saw the leather warping from the awkward movement and now I'm curious how this happened randomly and why. Both seats eventually snap out of it so I've let the problem linger for a bit. When I get a free weekend I'd like to pull things apart and fix the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'd rather know what I'm searching for before I start taking things apart just for the sake of exploring, my free time is quite limited these days.

·
Registered
390 Posts
This happens when your girlfriend thinks that the passenger seat is a lie-flat bed, like those business class airline seats. She reclines the seat back until it hits the back seat and keeps going. It strips the square cable in the seat motor. There's usually some yelling involved, but most women just keep pushing the recline switch trying to defy the laws of physics. ...For every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction.

Now you're unbolting the seat rails while she's shopping at the BEBE store at the mall. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yes common problem. Had the cables replaced in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
This happened to me as well. I trimmed a small amount off of the cable housing and reassembled. Found this technique by searching the twisting seat problem. Driver side wasn't too bad, but the passenger seat gave me much more grief. Did the repairs while the seats were still in the car.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
Thank you! It was such a hard problem to pose for the search function
It's less important to thank me than it is to acknowledge the person who took the time to create the DIY with a Thanks and/or Like -- in this case, doc$holliday.

We all benefit from cheering and fostering those kinds of well-documented threads.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This happens when your girlfriend thinks that the passenger seat is a lie-flat bed, like those business class airline seats. She reclines the seat back until it hits the back seat and keeps going. It strips the square cable in the seat motor. There's usually some yelling involved, but most women just keep pushing the recline switch trying to defy the laws of physics. ...For every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction.

Now you're unbolting the seat rails while she's shopping at the BEBE store at the mall. Sigh.
Sorry to bring back the painful memories lol. You know what else is annoying? When your passengers in the rear seats start messing around with the window screens and then they stop retracting and are stuck extended, flapping about. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sorry to bring back the painful memories lol. You know what else is annoying? When your passengers in the rear seats start messing around with the window screens and then they stop retracting and are stuck extended, flapping about. grrrrrrr
Oh, yeah. I've got some of those stylish flapping things, too. Thank goodness they are on my other car, a 540, and not the M5. I finally had to remove them from the window, but I considered leaving the bent sheet metal prong they latch on to get even with the culprits.

I don't think there is a more poorly make, outrageously priced part on the car than those small triangle sun screens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts