BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BOOM goes my 3.91

Well, after 8x,xxx miles, my DINAN 3.91 failed. As the second owner of the diff, and outside of Dinan's warranty period, I have no choice other than getting a new 3.91. I'm slowly loosing all my Dinan points and at the cusp of relinquishing my badge :rofl:

How it failed: I was driving on PCH and heard a noise...that's it! Nothing spectacular.

The good: I'm having Performance Gearing build me a stronger and better 3.91 with 3 clutch packs and 30/50 ramps.

The bad: I missed a track day today and will likely miss a track weekend next week.

The really really bad: I was going to drive my e60 on some of my favorite/best/isolated/desolate roads from SoCal to NV to AZ on a business trip. Now, I'm stuck on the freeways, with a boat of a rental Nissan Armada!!! Oh well, at least my DINAN 3.91 diff failed in civilization.

The guys at OMS are doing my install while I'm boating my way across the desert.

Attachments

Registered
Oh no Woody!

That's not cool. I'm sure you'll be back up soon though.

You sure didn't waste any time changing that sig line, eh? Did you modify if before the car coasted to a stop from your iphone? :haha:

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh no Woody!

That's not cool. I'm sure you'll be back up soon though.

You sure didn't waste any time changing that sig line, eh? Did you modify if before the car coasted to a stop from your iphone? :haha:
Multi tasking!

Thanks Jim...it's no biggie, just inconvenient. Actually, I changed my signature earlier in the week -- a couple of the guys picked up on it. I was waiting for resolution, before posting. In the end, I'm glad it failed when it did. I'm going to end up with a much better diff, custom built by Jim Blanton.

I know when my e28 needs a diff, I know where I'm going.

Registered
Such unfortunate news, Woody! I'm just glad it didn't blow out while you were tracking! It could've been a lot worse!

You'll be up and running strong again soon. :)

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

Registered
Sorry to hear this man, especially when you planned on carving up some tarmac.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Such unfortunate news, Woody! I'm just glad it didn't blow out while you were tracking! It could've been a lot worse!

You'll be up and running strong again soon. :)
Thanks man! ?

I appreciate the love. She'll be ready by AA7, for sure. I could have had Dinan send me a new one in time, but no thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to see this again like i mentioned earlier buddy, hope a quick and fast recovery, and come back better then ever.. Good luck man! Damn DINAN!
Sorry to hear this man, especially when you planned on carving up some tarmac.
Thanks guys! It's was just poor timing or the best timing, depending on how you look at it.

Yeah, Dinan didn't help with anything...they didn't have to because i was outside of their warranty.

In the end, I'm going to have a much better diff at an equal price from Performance Gearing.

Registered
Hope it gets sorted quickly, good you're getting a reinforced diff .....Sounds like you need it!

Registered
Sorry to hear Woody, keep us updated on the Performance Gearing 3.91 once you get some miles on it.

Also, I don't think this is the first post I've seen with a failed Dinan 3.91 :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hope it gets sorted quickly, good you're getting a reinforced diff .....Sounds like you need it!
Sorry to hear Woody, keep us updated on the Performance Gearing 3.91 once you get some miles on it.

Also, I don't think this is the first post I've seen with a failed Dinan 3.91 :(
Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, I knew the early production Dinan 3.91 were plagued with issues. When Dinan stepped up and addressed the failures of their product, I took that as a positive sign.

The previous owner had the 3.91 installed. I thought mine escaped the failures, but I guess I was wrong.

I think there are things Dinan does very well (monoballs for example), but I also think there are places where they could stand behind their product a little more. I wonder if things have changed, post the buy out earlier this year.

I should have my broken in Performance Gearing 3.91 diff in by Thursday, just in time for my track weekend. If you guys are thinking of getting a new diff, take a look at Jim Blanton at Performance Gearing -- top notch!

Registered
At least it went out at the most opportune time. Not really sure if there really a "most opportune time" for anything to break on our cars, but like everyone says at least you were close to home.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Dear Friend Woody

Very sorry to hear about the diff. However, a true enthusiast always looks at it as an opportunity for improvement; which is exactly what you have done. The new diff definitely sounds more exciting. :cheers:

Did you talk to Dinan about the diff.

Good Luck!
Hasan
Thank you my Friend Hasan.

I did speak to Dinan. They said they couldn't (wouldn't) do anything for me because

1) the miles and time, and

2) the warranty does not transfer to the second owner. I did not install the diff, the previous owner installed it.

They did offer to send me one of their new diffs, with a full two year unlimited mileage warranty. I said no thanks! The Dinan diff failed on me once, why would I want another from Dinan at full price? :rofl:

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
At least it went out at the most opportune time. Not really sure if there really a "most opportune time" for anything to break on our cars, but like everyone says at least you were close to home.
No doubt! I could've been in the middle of nowhere in NV or AZ!

Registered
Sorry to hear Woody. I know you'll be up and running again real soon. I've had a few issues with Dinan diffs in the past (both replaced under warranty, thankfully).

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear Woody. I know you'll be up and running again real soon. I've had a few issues with Dinan diffs in the past (both replaced under warranty, thankfully).
Thanks Jones...and thanks for having Erik at Autohaus Frankfurt step up (as a authorized Dinan dealer) and try to work some magic for me.

Your guys at Autohaus are great!

Registered
I should have my broken in Performance Gearing 3.91 diff in by Thursday, just in time for my track weekend. If you guys are thinking of getting a new diff, take a look at Jim Blanton at Performance Gearing -- top notch!
Jim built the modified diff for my E39 years ago. Never an issue. Great to deal with. You will be very satisfied

Regards,
Jerry

Registered
I stopped into OMS last Friday to pickup some oil and saw your M5 on the lift with the diff in a million pieces. Car looks great, diff not so much. Hope its a quick fix!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts