BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys / gals

Does anyone know what i need to remove to get to the bonnet catch in the engine bay? Mine is shot and the bonnet keeps opening every few miles (very frustrating:mad: )
Do i need to remove the radiator or the bumper?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
madm5 said:
Hi guys / gals

Does anyone know what i need to remove to get to the bonnet catch in the engine bay? Mine is shot and the bonnet keeps opening every few miles (very frustrating:mad: )
No, You need to remove the n/s grill to get behind the main beam light asy.
Another of those seemingly simple jobs designed to ruin your day.
Its basically the same approach that you would use to replace a headlamp lens module.
There is a screw nr the lamp, a push clip above the kidney where the top trim cowl meets the grill.
Then there are two sprung barbs that need to be depressed to release the grill & its surround.

One is nr the dip beam lens & the other is accessed through the kidney grill.

I would put masking tape over the top face of the bumper bar near the grill & surround to it does not scratch the bar when you are fiddling about.

I would also suggest buying a pronged trim release tool.
You will find it useful on this car foe so many trim related duties.

Cheers
Farrell

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
madm5 said:
Hi guys / gals

I thought mine was shot too, until I emptied a can of WD40 on it.... Works like a charm now!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Stevie said:
I thought mine was shot too, until I emptied a can of WD40 on it.... Works like a charm now!
I second that, besides beeing a tedious job, the grill doesn't get better everytime you remove it.
Besides the spring release mechanism hardly ever fails.

SO CHECK FIRST

Not the first time WD40 does its miracles :haha:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
midnightsun said:
I second that, besides beeing a tedious job, the grill doesn't get better everytime you remove it.
Besides the spring release mechanism hardly ever fails.

SO CHECK FIRST

Not the first time WD40 does its miracles :haha:
hmm, i've checked the cable too which is rusted away, i don't want the risk of it snapping and me not being able to open the bonnet, add to that i've already ordered the parts now, surely removing the grill once won't harm it. Is the exiting latch bolted or riveted in?

Thanks for the assistance so far everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts