BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to go to the Bondurant Racing school in Arizona, and would like to know if anyone has graduated or know of anyone who has. Its $4500 for 4 days of drivers training. First 3 days are with c5 corvettes, and the 4th is a full day of open wheel f1 driving. Do you all think its worth the money?

Heres a link:
http://www.bondurant.com

·
Registered
992 Posts
EvilTommy said:
I have the opportunity to go to the Bondurant Racing school in Arizona, and would like to know if anyone has graduated or know of anyone who has. Its $4500 for 4 days of drivers training. First 3 days are with c5 corvettes, and the 4th is a full day of open wheel f1 driving. Do you all think its worth the money?

Heres a link:
http://www.bondurant.com
I have a friend who went, I will ask him and see. I am a firm believer in learning in your car - that's when it's really beneficial. The next BMW CCA Driving Event in AZ is in the fall - it's lot cheaper too - $500 for two days.

I will still ask my friend and see what he thinks and let you know!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for helpin me out! I am interning at 2 hospitals this summer, and will make around $10000 in total, and i figure i would rather spend money on learning more about how to drive the car and tame all 400 ponies before i put any more into making it faster. Lemme know what he says :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Spend your $4k at the BMW M5 driving school in NC.A much better driving experience with a car you own, unless you own a Cooooorvette.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I do not agree at all. Go to the pro school. You will learn more in those 4 days than you would at 10 BMWCCA schools. This is a pro school with pro instructors. Yes it is great to learn in your own car but you will have the ability to drive any car better after you do the Bondurant school. You will also get your SCCA provisional license as well.

I know this because I owned a driving school for 3 years and hired only pro instructors. Many of whom would teach at all of the pro schools around the country.

Most BMWCCA instructors have come up through the ranks and now teach at the schools where they were once students. There is nothing wrong with this. But if you can get to a pro school do it!

The line taught at a BMWCCA school is the drivers school line. The theoretical fastest line around the track. This is not the race line or any other line. There are many ways to get around a track fast so it is best to get all of the tools you can not just one set.

With thaat being said, BMWCCA schools are among the best if not the best "club" schools in the country but do not compare to the pro schools with data aquisition and the many many "drills" you will be put through.

Flame on....

Jordan

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
as much as i liked the m5 school is does not touch what bondurant does, not to mention he was a pro driver (well course the ones at bmw are) but none the less, go it's worth it, and come on an open wheel car? Why would you pass that up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I attended the Bondurant Grand Prix Driving School a few years ago when they were using modified Mustang GTs and also the final day in an open air formula Ford. My impressions are that while expensive, it is an awesome experience and something every serious driver should try to do. While i haven't done Skip Barber schools, i have friends that have done them and i'm convinced Bondurant is the best. At Bondurant, you'll get a lot of individual track time and also a lot of in-car instruction. By the way, your arms will be very, very sore by the end. I had every intention of doing driving school in the day and playing golf late afternoon. By the second day, i couldn't hit a golf ball b/c i couldn't lift/move my arms sufficiently. I know it sounds pathetic however I should note that I'm in very good physical shape and work out with weights very regularly. You'll be pulling on the steering wheel so often/hard b/c the cars didn't have power steering. Be sure to take driving gloves b/c you'll get blisters and cuts on your shifting hand and where you hold the steering wheel. Also, I went in April and would advise not to go any time during summer b/c they don't run A/C in the cars... The instructors are great and will scare the hell out of you when they take you around in your car to show you how to navigate the course. The track is challenging enough that it will fully test both the car's limits and your own... In summary, you'll learn a ton about driving and also yourself... do it and enjoy !

·
Registered
480 Posts
I echo what B says. I also attended a few years ago, with the Mustangs and the Formula Fords. Great fun, and learned more about driving fast (and safe) those few days than in my other 30 years of driving, including other track instruction. One thing I didn't like, was that you are responsible for damage to the cars, if you crash-- they do provide a "loss waiver" for a (substantial) extra charge. From what I understand, some of the other driving schools won't charge you extra if you happen to mess up and cause some damage to the cars. One bit of advice, if you do go-- bring your own helmet. While they do have loaners, you DON'T want to put on a helmet that is dank and smelly from someone else's sweat.

Have fun.

Wilkie

·
Registered
146 Posts
I attended the 4 day Bondurant GP school. I thought the price was high, too. But it was the best money that I spent on my car's (and my) performance!! Using someone elses car has benefits......no wear and tear on your car, tires, brakes, etc. You'll have plenty of time to do that on track days.

All the suspension, engine tuning, blah, blah, blah doesn't mean squat if the crash test dummy behind the wheel can't do the dance! :)

Spend the money, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I took the two day class and the solid fundamentals that I learned help me drive better/quicker/safer everyday. It does cost a lot but you will be able to use the info constantly for years to come. PS: Bondurant himself had an M5 as his daily driver when I was there.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Take the Mschool in Spartanburg. Its the best of both worlds...M5's and professional drivers that have tons of time in ///M spec cars.

and its a bit less i believe....

but also do the CCA events as they are easier to join and participate in for the most part.

·
Registered
244 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Take the Mschool in Spartanburg. Its the best of both worlds...M5's and professional drivers that have tons of time in ///M spec cars.

and its a bit less i believe....

but also do the CCA events as they are easier to join and participate in for the most part.
True they have pro drivers but the program is not at all the same.

I speak with racing experience under my belt. What you will learn from a pro school is not going to be the same. I am sure the M school is very good but is has to do with the entire program. At a pro school you will also learn race craft. This is not taught at any other schools. Race craft is a usable tool on the street. It helps with planning, reaction time and depth perception.

Do the pro school!

Jordan

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Tommy,
I took a Bondurant course over ten years ago, Terry Borchella was my instructor. Two days of on track training was a blast and worth every bit.
I was trying to move back to open wheel racing at that time. Shortly after, my first daughter arrived and the driver stepped out of the car and now I just work on them.
It can be a wealth of info as to getting around a corner and how/when to apply braking.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
My wife and I attended the Bondurant 4-day school and had a great time. This was many years ago and it's where I learned to properly heel-toe downshift a Formula Ford. There was enough repetition that everyone became proficient, yet not enough that the quick learners were frustrated. I suggest Bondurant as a good first driver's school, to be followed up with classes at Bertil Roos (www.racenow.com) where you actually get to participate in real races in Forumla 2000s at the end of the school. We combined the 3-day road race school with the 2-day competition school. See: http://racenow.com/b03c_5day.htm

I would not want to do Bondurant in the summer when the temperatures at the track soar. But they do compensate by starting their summer classes very early in the morning.

While attending Bondurant, we stayed at the Ritz Carlton Hotel and turned it into a romantic vacation. The hotel limo dropped us off and picked us up each day and we had the Ritz kitchen prepare us incredible boxed lunches. After class, we would dress up and have dinner in their incredible restaurant, Bistro 24. The perfect vacation! :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I agree with Dave Z on not going to Bondurant in the summer unless you must... As someone who spent years living around Phoenix, its brutal there in the summers, even if they start in the mornings (it can still be 100+ at 6am in the heart of the summer).

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Summer in Phnx goes till mid Sept.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did the Skip Barber 3 Day Racing school a couple of weeks ago. If Bondurant is 1/2 as good I say go for it.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
EvilTommy said:
Thanks for helpin me out! I am interning at 2 hospitals this summer, and will make around $10000 in total, and i figure i would rather spend money on learning more about how to drive the car and tame all 400 ponies before i put any more into making it faster. Lemme know what he says :M5thumbs:
Depends what you want out of it. Are you trying to get into/improve your racing capabilities? Do you have a lot seat time on the track? If you are an accomplished DE driver, then Bondurant, Skippy, Bertil Roos are all good schools. But to maximize the experience, I suggest you have a fair amount of DE's and have been signed off for solo. You should already know how to heel and toe, learning it is hard in 3 or 4 days, especially in a strange car. You should know what threshold braking is, and it is helpful if you can trail brake, or at least understand what it is.

Over the years I have done Justin Bell and well as Skippy school, both are very good, although Skippy was better. Absent significant prior seat time, it still would have been a lot of fun, but not nearly as cost efficient because you spend too much time mastering what these schools would consider the basics. :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts