BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Our final day, Day 4, was today. We spent it entirely on the track in the Mazda Formula cars. These are true racecars with R-comps, open cockpits, dogbox trannys, very hard clutches, and very little room, especially for a slightly larger guy (ahem). And man do they fly! 100 mph with the wind so hard it is pushing your helmet back--what a rush! Went agricultural on turn 1 once today and churned up a huge dust cloud, but car was no worse for the wear.

So...(drum roll please)... Sam and I graduated with some of the highest grades in the class. 5 point scale, Sam with a 3.8 and me with a 3.7, with 2.5 being the average. Thus, we qualified for our SCCA provisional racing licenses!

Here is a final pic of Sam and me with one of the Mazda Formula cars! I highly recommend Bondurant to anyone who wants to club race. The amount of seat time and the quality of the instructors is just awesome.

--Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Congrats! I think there are a lot of envious people right now.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Absolutely awesome! Congrats! Let the time-sucking, money-leaching racing hobby begin! :) This is on my bucket list...has been since the 70s...it's about time to do it I'm thinking.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Absolutely awesome! Congrats! Let the time-sucking, money-leaching racing hobby begin! :) This is on my bucket list...has been since the 70s...it's about time to do it I'm thinking.
I did the Skippy School at Sebring a million years ago. After driving one of the formula cars, our cars are easy to drive (feels like everything happens in slow motion, plenty of time to react). And since you have track experience, I think you will get more out of the school.

You have some great tracks nearby, not sure whether Bondurant, Skippy or one of the others has a setup nearby. But as Nike ad says, "Just do it"!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
379 Posts
Amazing! I will be doing this soon. What did the 4 day class cost if you don't mind me asking? What was the name of the class exactly you guys took?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Amazing! I will be doing this soon. What did the 4 day class cost if you don't mind me asking? What was the name of the class exactly you guys took?
We did the Grand Prix Racing four day course. Because of the time of year, we received a $1k per person discount. So it was $4k per person plus tax and gratuities.

--Peter

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Awesome.

...and where did you rent an F10 M5, $, and how was that?
Hertz Gold Choice. Sticker was a ridiculous $1k per day. I got it for $200 per day. Car is fast as it can be, especially 60-130. And it handles well, especially for its size, which is behemoth! It is more luxury than sports car, perfect for what we needed, comfortably shuttling three people around in 100 degree plus heat with great AC, comfortable ride, and the ability to blow the doors off almost anything else on the road. It is very disconnected from the road, however, which is really my only gripe.

--Peter

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You should do it, Chuck! You are the kind of guy who will absolutely tear it up and get a lot out of the instructors.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun, my friend. Thou knowest no money pit like the racing money pit. I road raced motorcycles with WERA for a time when I was younger. And just like you said above, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
17 Participants
Mike S.
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing