BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

You may have seen my thread on Toyo R888s. It seems the best strategy is to wait for the new tire sizing.

The other question I had was...

Are there any direct replacement brake calipers? I want 6 pot calipers to work with STOCK rotors.

The only reason I want new 6 pot calipers is the ability to change the pads at the track with just a set of pliers (and a pry bar).

One member was going to try something out but ended up totally his car.

Any thoughts here?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've been using Pagid pads with the stock set-up, I initially had the pads changed at a garage and watched the guy do it.

I also have the instructions and it is not that difficult. When I got back after Silverstone I swapped the pads myself, I thought it took about an hour, my wife said NO, try 2 hours, but it took allot of extra time as I had not done it before on a BMW, I think I could easily do it within an hour now and a fair bit of that time is taking the wheel off and putting it back on.

It is not as easy as many after market callipers though and you will need a few more tools for the M5.

I've attached the PDF files for changing the pads just in case anyone is interested.

As far as which callipers would fit stock rotors, I would try AP racing, I'm sure there will be quite a few around, possibly stoptech etc... I'm not sure if anyone will have tried it though as I think most people that go for aftermarket brakes end up with a BBK...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using Pagid pads with the stock set-up, I initially had the pads changed at a garage and watched the guy do it.

I also have the instructions and it is not that difficult. When I got back after Silverstone I swapped the pads myself, I thought it took about an hour, my wife said NO, try 2 hours, but it took allot of extra time as I had not done it before on a BMW, I think I could easily do it within an hour now and a fair bit of that time is taking the wheel off and putting it back on.

It is not as easy as many after market callipers though and you will need a few more tools for the M5.

I've attached the PDF files for changing the pads just in case anyone is interested.

As far as which callipers would fit stock rotors, I would try AP racing, I'm sure there will be quite a few around, possibly stoptech etc... I'm not sure if anyone will have tried it though as I think most people that go for aftermarket brakes end up with a BBK...

Thanks but on my old Porsche's, a pair of pliers, a pry bar and I have new pads in 10 minutes....

I really like the stock floating rotors and would like to keep them and get bolt-on calipers...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
nothing is quicker than the all mighty "PIN"...25 seconds per side once the wheel is off !!!!!!!!!!!
And all one needs is a large flat tip screwdriver, in the metric version......

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
nothing is quicker than the all mighty "PIN"...25 seconds per side once the wheel is off !!!!!!!!!!!
And all one needs is a large flat tip screwdriver, in the metric version......

Care to elaborate? Sounds like you have done this before :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts