BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight the Beast bogged badly (I barely got off the street before it died), and would not rev past 2k without bogging. I had to leave it and call my 17 yr old for a ride home during which I was treated to Linkin Park at obnoxious volume:eek:oohhh:. Peake codes are #90 and 91, plus the 69 (temp plausability) that I have been getting for several months and ignoring out of laziness. New MAFs 3 mos. ago. O2s don't seem right since it is both at once. Bad gas...? (I had to get podunk convenience store gas yesterday but drove over 120 miles on it without a hitch). Can a vacuum leak force limp mode like this? Fuel filter, pump? Help, i need to rescue my stranded Beast...and the TT won't pull it home:hihi:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Could be the fuel pump - when you turn the ignition on can you hear the pump?

Also, what is the remaining range on the car? Even if it is 20 or 30 miles this may not be enough, you could have very little fuel in the tank, enough to allow the car to start and idle but not enough to allow it to rev.

Happened to me once - or twice yawnnnn With the aid of my spare can I added about a gallon and the beast came back to life - I always fill when it hits the 1/4 full mark now.

HTH

Richie.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Also, what is the remaining range on the car? Even if it is 20 or 30 miles this may not be enough, you could have very little fuel in the tank, enough to allow the car to start and idle but not enough to allow it to rev.

Happened to me once - or twice yawnnnn With the aid of my spare can I added about a gallon and the beast came back to life - I always fill when it hits the 1/4 full mark now.

HTH

Richie.
Richie, not to say you are wrong, every car is slightly different and I know this is abusive to the beast but I creeped in to a petrol station one day with 1 km on the readout. Not clever I know.:nono:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Richie, not to say you are wrong, every car is slightly different and I know this is abusive to the beast but I creeped in to a petrol station one day with 1 km on the readout. Not clever I know.:nono:
LOL - I have done that once myself - much to the amusement of my passenger!

I have in the past started the car at my office and drove away with no issues with as little as 6 mile range showing, but, it happened me with a 30 mile range showing - the car would start and idle as normal but when I selected first and tried to drive it would stall, it would start up again easily but if I tried to raise the rpm it would slowly rise to 1500/2000 and die, as soon as I emptied my gas can into the tank it had no issues at all.

I guess it is to do with how it calculates the range, I read somewhere that it is based on the last 20 miles?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah I have notice sometimes I will start the car with the readout at about 40km which then drops pretty quickly to about 20km and then it starts going back up. One time I even finished my trip with more fuel than I started out with. If only the car could turn air into petrol hey.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah I have notice sometimes I will start the car with the readout at about 40km which then drops pretty quickly to about 20km and then it starts going back up. One time I even finished my trip with more fuel than I started out with. If only the car could turn air into petrol hey.
Now that would be useful!!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
So your kid listens to Linkin Park at full blast? You failed at parenthood! :hihi:

·
Registered
962 Posts
possible fuel pump as others have noted - mine died exhibiting similar symptoms...

and I've had to replace the fuel level sensor...I ran out of gas showing 1/2 tank on the gauge!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tank showed half at the time...I am sensitive to that as I once had a similar limp problem when the range showed 50+ miles but I was at slightly less than quarter. I fill it now once it dips anywhere near the quarter mark. I left it alone in a business parking lot :eek:(they at least had a guard) last night and today it seems fine...same codes appeared before i kicked it off this morning -- I went straight to Shell and filled it. I am going to buy the thermostat and temp sensor at the stealer to fix the old 69 code and will talk to my SA to see what he thinks on the event last night...I am thinking now it was the crap petrol from El Reno, Oklahoma's one and only gas station but will go through the list (vacuum leak ,fuel pump, etc.)and update if I find anything. thanks, guys.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So your kid listens to Linkin Park at full blast? You failed at parenthood! :hihi:
His taste in music might be my single failing though..he is going to Stanford next year -- and I have no one to blame 'cuz I raised him by myself since he was 3! Now i know I am officially old when I brag on my kid

·
Registered
140 Posts

HTH

Richie.
Our boys tend to work better when there is a nice supply of gas on them. Could easily be the problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fault codes ???

The reader that popped up these codes should have shown the codes meaning !!!
CODE 149 = OUT OF FUEL / EMPTY TANK
Believe me :wroom:
i got this after replacing the fuel filter and the system was'nt fully primed !
Best of luck :flag:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts