BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd throw this out there because my searches came up mostly empty. Does anyone know what gauge sheet metal BMW used for the E39? Specifically the lower sills. I've got some rust I need to repair and because the small holes are not on a radius I was going to form the repair panels from sheet instead of buying panels and cutting sections out. Looks like it might be 20 or 22 ga?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can't measure it?
I can, but I was sitting in my jammies getting ready for movie night with the kids when the question popped into my addled mind. I should be able to get to a fender edge without much trouble, but I thought the sills might be thicker. I'll post results back here when I know.

As a follow on...I think it would be a good idea to use a weldable primer like the one Eastwood sells on the back side of the patch that won't get paint. Yes, or complete waste of time? They didn't have a lot of these products back when I was doing body work with my dad so I have no experience. Ed China recommends it, so I thought it had to be good enough for me. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts