BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a copy of the letter I received from BMWNA:
"Thank you for your continued patience. We have completed a final and thorough review of the facts, and our original decision remains in effect. BMW of North America, LLC will offer no assistance toward the repair of the rear view mirror."

This is on the inside rear view mirror that is "fogged" or appears that the liquid inside is leaking.
Great customer service BMWNA, you really are working hard to make sure I am a repeat customer......
Asking for a mirror to at least last 100,000 miles is too much I guess.
2001 M5, 88k miles

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree, that's simply inexcusible. It's like taking the bus home after dropping off the car for warranty work because the dealer doesn't want to provide a loaner car. BMWNA could benefit from hiring someone with some common sense. It's like Homer Simpson is running their marketing department or something.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I assume they are declining to cover this under the extended CPO warranty- what are the grounds for non-coverage?

A

PS (if you do not have a BMW warranty in effect, why would there be any expectation that this would be covered?)

·
Registered
512 Posts
ard said:
I assume they are declining to cover this under the extended CPO warranty- what are the grounds for non-coverage?

A

PS (if you do not have a BMW warranty in effect, why would there be any expectation that this would be covered?)
IMO, the mirror is a safety item and should be covered no matter what. The potential liability in a products liability suit involving a faulty mirror could be huge! Imagine backing up and, god forbid, you run over someone because the mirror was bad (or any other scenario... changing lanes, etc.) Although a portion of fault could be assessed to you, a portion could also be assessed to BMW. Believe me, juries like lighting up big companies much more than ordinary citizens... Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
At least you tried, and they responded. It isn't that bad -- just the cost of owning a BMW. They really don't have any obligation. At 88K miles, your are well out of warranty. If your $2000 NAV unit went bad, which mine did last week, you couldn't really get angry if they didn't help, and the NAV should also last longer. $70k may be alot to you, but some would say the same about their $30k volkswagen, saying for $30k you'd expect things to last. $30K is a bunch of money to some. Be happy you don't have a Ferrari -- it breaks more and costs much more to fix! cherrsagai

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have the CPO, but have the extended maintenance.
The expectation I have, is that something like a mirror would at least last 100k miles. Its ridiculous to think otherwise, whether I payed for the warranty or not.
Am I being blind and unreasonable?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
PilotMike said:
The expectation I have, is that something like a mirror would at least last 100k miles. Its ridiculous to think otherwise, whether I payed for the warranty or not.
Yes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Digi said:
Thanks Digi for your opinion.
Although I dont agreee with it, I appreciate your time to look and post your repsone.

·
Registered
767 Posts
PilotMike said:
Unreasonable. The expectation that it should last at least 100K could be easily extended to many other parts (e.g. MAFS), and that's simply not the case as things break on this car at any time that can't be attributed to wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
PilotMike said:
The expectation I have, is that something like a mirror would at least last 100k miles. Am I being blind and unreasonable?
A little spot developed on my mirror after a few years. I let it go and six months after the warranty expired, all the liquid leaked. The replacement goes for CDN $700. GMAFB! For that kind of money give me the old style please - I can flip a lever or twist a knob when it gets dark - a rear view mirror might arguably be the LAST thing I'd expect to replace.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
PilotMike said:

I don't think you are being unreasonable. Sure car parts fail.. but we are talking about a mirror which spends its life not doing overly much .. you would think that it should be able to last more than the time it did .. not that the kms on your car would be the major factor I would not think? It would be more the age of the car?

·
Registered
612 Posts
This is a great example of how our cars have way too many un-necessary gadgets. Should an auto-dimming rear view mirror last 100K miles or 10 years? We all would say yes.

But why not just simply give us a simple mirror and let me flip it myself? I don't need all the gizmos. I just want a solid and fast Bimmer (not a Beamer!) It would cost less for BMW to build, cost less to replace, and would have a higher chance of lasting the life of the car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Stickman said:
This is a great example of how our cars have way too many un-necessary gadgets. Should an auto-dimming rear view mirror last 100K miles or 10 years? We all would say yes.

But why not just simply give us a simple mirror and let me flip it myself? I don't need all the gizmos. I just want a solid and fast Bimmer (not a Beamer!) It would cost less for BMW to build, cost less to replace, and would have a higher chance of lasting the life of the car.
I think it's important to keep in mind that this is the company's flagship car. It has gadgets like auto-dimming rear view to set it apart from the competition, and from the other 5-series cars. BMW and Mercedes push the technology forward by taking chances, and real world testing is sometimes the only way to find the flaws. These types of advances eventually trickle down and become commonplace on lower end vehicles, or they die out for lack of interest. We get them first, but have to deal with the headaches sometimes.

That said, if a failure is common enough, I would hope that BMW would step up and fix it. It seems in this case it would have to be presented as a safety issue. We have a few in this thread who indicate they have the problem. Maybe a poll would give us a better idea of the scope?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
chrisj said:
I think it's important to keep in mind that this is the company's flagship car. It has gadgets like auto-dimming rear view to set it apart from the competition, and from the other 5-series cars. BMW and Mercedes push the technology forward by taking chances, and real world testing is sometimes the only way to find the flaws. These types of advances eventually trickle down and become commonplace on lower end vehicles, or they die out for lack of interest. We get them first, but have to deal with the headaches sometimes.

That said, if a failure is common enough, I would hope that BMW would step up and fix it. It seems in this case it would have to be presented as a safety issue. We have a few in this thread who indicate they have the problem. Maybe a poll would give us a better idea of the scope?
I agree with you there .. this car is the flagship M vehicle and support for it should reflect its status. I have found though that it is very much relies on the individuals in the process. If you are a long term customer and get along with the service department well you may get more than someone who is not.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
chrisj said:
The mirrors fail all the time. I watch my 97 Jag carefully, becasue they are known to fail on may Jags as well -- a common failure item. Worse, the liquid leaks out onto the expensive matched Jag wood and leather, so you don't just have to replace the mirror. If you are way out of warranty, don't expect much help from the manufacturer. This is why there is a mileage and age limit to the warranty. It would not be resonable for the manufacturer of any vehicle to warranty items for 88K miles without charging us for this extra coverage. If you had fogged up headlights at 88K, would you expect an adjustment for these expensive items?

·
Registered
158 Posts
BKH said:
Then sort it out before you sell it to us. Do the minimum R&D to give us a component with lower (read acceptable) rate of failure.
We don't know the rate of failure. That was one reason I suggested taking a poll in a previous post.
The board is a great place to discuss problems, but impressions become skewed, as no one will ever say "My mirror didn't fail". There were 10000 M5s built just for NA, and so far I have seen ~5 reports on the board from this failure.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts