BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what it's worth--

The new January 2005 BMW Car Club of America Roundel magazine has an interesting blurb in the "Heard on the Strasse" section on page 30.

"...Finally, the M6 will be powered by a 5.5-liter version of the M5's V10 with enough juice to motivate it from rest to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds."

No M6 CSL deliniation. Makes it seem like the regular M6 gets more displacement than the E60 M5. I PM'ed Gustav and he said the AG guys claim the same engine goes in the M6.

Is the Roundel mistaken or do they know something we don't?

MJ
'03 black/black

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
It's the same engine. The 2 door car is lighter, and is going to be the faster of the two. This was always the way it was expected. If you want more fast and more sport, get the 2 door. It is not THAT much faster, but it should do better in most comparisons -- which would be logical against the "family" M5.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
M5 does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds also. If the M6 is 120 kg lighter with the same engine then it's basically a wash power wise. Look at it this way, if you're in an M6 with a friend and a full tank of gas, you'll be even with a single driver with a quarter tank in an M5.

The weight savings not worth much in terms of performance - certainly not the 25% premium they'll probably ask.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Digi,

I was pointing out that the Roundel magazine says the M6 gets a 5.5-liter engine and the published specs for the M5 show a 4.999-liter power plant.

MJ

·
Registered
955 Posts
MJ said:
Hi Digi,

I was pointing out that the Roundel magazine says the M6 gets a 5.5-liter engine and the published specs for the M5 show a 4.999-liter power plant.

MJ
i don't think that will be the case.

BMW had already launched the car, the engine spec they disclosed within the press release appears to be identical to M5's S85 motor. so we can safely assume the engine in both car is the same.

however, i do not doubt the possibility of the 5.5l 550bhp V10 in the upcoming M6 CSL.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
From the BMWUSA website (noted for its wealth of information and accuracy :confused3 ):

"Based on the new 6 Series, the new M6 shares its drivetrain with the recently introduced M5. The new V-10 produces 500 horsepower and 383 lb.-ft. of torque. Engineered to rev with a redline of 8,250, this new engine offers 100 horsepower per liter of displacement. Pure race-car territory."
http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/futurevehicles/newM6/

Of course, there could be other engines after introduction. I don't think you will see a different engine at launch. The car has a carbon fiber roof, and lots of other weight savings over the M5. It will be faster and the higher performance, more tech vehicle for sure.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
IF (and that is a big IF) there is a M6 CSL, my bet is it will have a tuned version of the 5L powerplant. No way can BMW justify the cost of developing a totally different powerplant for a limited production version of a limited production car.

Look at the M3 CSL.. same basic engine as regular M3.

·
Registered
703 Posts
vndkshn said:
IF (and that is a big IF) there is a M6 CSL, my bet is it will have a tuned version of the 5L powerplant. No way can BMW justify the cost of developing a totally different powerplant for a limited production version of a limited production car.

Look at the M3 CSL.. same basic engine as regular M3.
well said V

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts