BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The BMW Car Club organise regular Better Driving Days whereby BMW owners are given the opportunity to get to know their cars a little better in a safe and controlled track environment .

Yesterday , I was fortunate enough to attend their open lane track day at Cadwell Park , along with fellow M5Board member Seaneee and his Black 3.6 .

The fog was just starting to lift as I arrived at the circuit at around 8am :

Perhaps as it was a Wednesday and also St George's Day , there were only 30 cars in attendance , paying £150 for a full day's ( 9am - 5pm ) open pit track time ........absolute bargain !

I hear that it costs in the region of £7,500 to hire a track such as Cadwell for a track day of this nature and so the day was heavily subsidised by the BMWCC which only charges £35 ( if paid by Direct Debit ) for annual membership and offers members numerous benefits , such as discounts with BMW dealerships and suppliers .

Anyone interested can contact the club via the website :

http://www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/rm/intro.asp and if you mention that I introduced you that would be great as it results in me receiving a £5 voucher to spend at Club events ..........

The fact that there were so few cars meant that it was possible to put in a few quickish laps relatively unimpeded and most people were keen to get straight out there after the initial 5 or 6 sighting laps following either Chris Wadsley , the event organiser in his E30 M3 , or Chris Rossiter ( of AC Schnitzer fame ) to get an idea of the perfect line !

Sean and I were both fortunate to get a few decent dry laps in before the rain descended at around 11am and my PS2s were displaying distinct signs of scrubbing .

I persuaded Sean to have a picture taken , although , judging by his expression , I suspect that he may have been preadvised of my homosexual tendencies :

I brought my brother , who is not a great fan of cars , with me and was suprised when he advised me that I could brake far later and corner far quicker into Coppice .

He soon quietened down when I had the nearside rear wheel on the grass coming tearing out of Park curve later that lap and said , ' That'll do for me Dave ' !

Those two early , dry sessions , were enough for me , my bro and Sebring Sienna and we decided to call it a day by 11:30 am as I can't honestly imagine ragging my car around there from 9am until 5pm !

The long drive home , with the sun setting in my mirrors , completed the day marvellously and has always been one of the great fortes of the E34 M5 ........She will take you to the circuit , she will guide you around and she will cruise you home ......what a car !

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I've really got to get back into trackdays (although not as many as I used to), as I'm finding on the odd occasion that I really push on the roads I am rewarded with a lot more grip than I was expecting.

I really don't want to find out the limit of my current motor on the open road, so will have to book an Anglesey or Oulton Park track day soon.

A track is the only place you'll be able to find out how the car handles, and progressively gain confidence in both yourself and the car as you get faster & smoother around a regular course. Try that on a public road and you'll end up head-to-head with a tractor or deer :hihi:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Great write up David !

Wonderful pics !

That your car is a real looker too...never really liked the turbine until now. They give the car an elegantly muted ( for lack of more appropriate adjectives ! ) look.

Well done !

Cheers

Erik

·
Registered
832 Posts
....on second thoughts, looking at your car again I think I just might change my from indicators to what you have here....side my side with Sean's car I can appreciate their full ( and IMHO better ! ) effect.

Where did you source them and for how much ?

Cheers

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliment Erik ......the clear front indicators were actually fitted to the car by the PO but are available direct from BMW RRP £21.71 each and the side repeaters at £11.07 each .

Unfortunately BMW do not sell clear rears for the M5 Touring .

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Not so sure about those 'old skool' white wall tyres.....too West Coast Custom for me pal !

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not so sure about those 'old skool' white wall tyres.....too West Coast Custom for me pal !
Please tell me you are joking Richard .......

I know the turbines are rare , but I would hope that you know how they appear ......the tyres are ps2s , 235/45/17 all round !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rain Stopped Play

David,

Good to meet you and your brother.

For me it was a day of nervousness followed by brief elation and then immense frustration.

Nervous because I was a track virgin and nothing to do with advice on anyones sexual preferences.

Elation because the dry track time was great. For some reason or other I was first out on the open pit lane and had whole track to myself for a few laps before I saw another car. I may never be truly fast but boy did it make me grin.

Frustration because after you left the weather got worse, much worse. By 2.30 there was a 70 mph speed restriction on the two straights due to standing water and I chucked it in. Just before 4.00 I was driving on dry roads. I spent the evening in the back garden on a perfect spring night. :crying2:

Whatever, I broke my cherry, I'm not a slug and I'll be at Croft.

Sean.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks Sean ......it was great to meet you also .

I thought that you did really well and that your 3.6 was a decent car judging by it's pace down the back straight !

I haven't got any photos of on track stuff , so you can edit your post to remove your email address .

I'll let you know if I book up Donington .

D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
D was that black m3 with the new schnitzers on it Colin Wilkinsons car ( bmw cars publisher )...White walls look superb they make the wheels look bigger. !!!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
D was that black m3 with the new schnitzers on it Colin Wilkinsons car ( bmw cars publisher )...White walls look superb they make the wheels look bigger. !!!
Hi Steve , I think that the car you are referring to belongs to Chris Rossiter of Rossiters / AC Schnitzer ......

·
Registered
314 Posts
hi david
good write up mate I have to do more of these so that I can apreciate my car more. I did notice that you refered to mowing the lawn again can you not apreciate that you are doing somebody elses job for them
andy

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Please tell me you are joking Richard .......

I know the turbines are rare , but I would hope that you know how they appear ......the tyres are ps2s , 235/45/17 all round !
David, I know what a stickler you are for 3.6's with original bits. My comment was flippant....the turbines do look good on certain colours but in that photo white walls rule!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts