BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a 2000 M5, and I just love the car.I had a 540, and this is just another step in the best driving, handling, looking sedan in the world. My wife on the other hand would like something a little more family oriented. Please post your thoughts in regard to the new X5. I like the "SAV" as Bmw calls it, and I am thinking of purchasing the Sport X5 w/ 19 inch wheels and clear lights. It definitely is more sporty with these features.Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had the pleasure of testing the X5 yesterday at BMW's "Ultimate Driving Experience". We got to race the X5 on a small track and push it to the limits. If I didn't have a M5 on order, I would get an X5 right away....I might anyway!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The X5 may be the best of its breed, and I did the UDE and had fun flogging it around, but...

1) The unloaded CG may be only 3" higher than a 540i, but the seats and load area are much higher and the CG goes up considerably when fully loaded. Graphic demonstration of this during the DSC demonstration at the UDE, when (due to a lack of soap) it came off the pad at a 40-degree angle and, as the tires came off the soapy area, WHEE! Up on two wheels like one of those SUV things it's not supposed to be, then THUMP! as it came back down on all fours.

2) The 540i wagon is a little roomier, a little quicker, and IMO looks a lot better.

If I wanted 4WD I'd probably be shopping the Audi store - they don't seem to be selling much interesting in wagon form right now, but the '95 S6 Avant was a nice piece of hardware that was also the most cop-boring shape imaginable.

If I didn't want 4WD the choices are obvious.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am fortunate enough to own an M5, X5 and 740iL and E320 Wagon - My wife LOVES her X5 even though the wagon holds more cargo and rides softer. Her comment is that she likes siting up higher and enjoys the better visability. The X5 has loads of power, all the creature comforts and is a very "safe" vehicle when it comes to crash tests, and that is what I appreciate. The X5 is a very nice package and drives like you would expect a BMW to drive.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I forgot to add - if I had my preferance I would own a 5 series wagon rather than the MBZ. I have driven both extensively and my wife and I agree - the BMW is the better wagon. I guess it boils down to whether or not you need 4 wheel drive! BTW , the sport shifter makes the wagon a real kick to drive - same goes for the X5!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Tagged along with my buddy on a test drive on the weekend. He has pulled his order on an E46 M3 and opted for the X5!

My thoughts? It hauls ***...I was very surprised.

I was even MORE surprised when he climbed on the brakes to test them out, because I was sitting in the back (behind the salesman) and wasn't wearing a seatbelt. It pulled me right out of my seat and almost into the salesman's lap. My buddy LHAO.

Alps

·
Registered
216 Posts
Contrarily, I am quite disappointed by the X5.
When I took delivery of the M5 (Dec 1999), I had the good fortune to test drive the X5 before production really hit the road.

I found the interior noise of the car completely unbearable. Bearing the same engine as a 540i (which at one point of time I owned), I find it hard to believe I am comparing the noise of the car to a 3 series.

Front seats are NOT roomy AT ALL. It's quite surprising that the car look bigger than an ML but yet in the interior roominess department, ML definitely has the lead.
Too disappointed when I got out of the car that I didn't bother trying the rear seats legroom.

When I was test driving the car, it was a rainy day and I had DSC on by default. At a 90 degree right turn, I managed to UNINTENTIONALLY lift 2 of the four wheels during the turn and came back down with a THUMP as JEM has well put it in his posting.

For that kind of money, I will definitely shell out another $10,000 for an ML55.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Here comes Mr. Contrary...

First, on the ML55: had occasion to flog one of those around at a MBZ drive event a couple weeks before the X5 UDE.

It's got a really nice, flexible engine and if the interior isn't overall up to the X5, it's decent and a massive improvement over the earlier MLs.

However - it drives like a truck. Yes, it's got tons of grip and huge brakes, but it's also got long brake pedal travel, slow steering, and overall I was surprised at the amount of work it took to make the thing go around the cones.

Now, back to the X5: it's my opinion that anyone who prefers that high a seating position just doesn't drive fast enough.

Good as the X5 is, I'm still not as comfortable driving it at the speeds I normally drive decently-grippy cars through offramps, etc. It's no Land Cruiser, but I still don't like wobbling around that much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My opinion is ... if you want to go fast around the curves then don't bother with something that has as high a center of gravity as an ML55 or an X5 ... the M5 is just the ticket (or any 5 series).

Now, my wife also likes to sit up high and we need AWD. Our vote goes to the Range Rover which is superbly comfortable and with the 4.6 performs adequately. Great for kids since the glass line is low and kids can see out easily ... lowest point would be that the V8 is not up to today's levels of refinement, but hopefully this will be fixed in the next model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here comes a Rover Hater ..............

Sorry Andy, but to even mention the words "Land," "Range," or "Rover" in the same post as "M5" seems to me to be the ultimate sacrilege. I am on my 2nd 4.6, this vehicle is a s*h*i*t box. Nothing but a steady of ongoing malfunctions, problems, defects, headaches, and to add insult to injury - a "built in" Cup Holder that is such an outrageous nonfunctional joke that Land Rover of North America actually supplies all new owners with a nasty little 99¢ aftermarket clip-on cup holder as a part of their "Welcome to the Family - This Will Look Really Great in Your Brand New $68,000 Range Rover" promotional package.

But hey, don't get me wrong, you might have actually received one of the 2-3 problem-free vehicles that Rover supposedly makes each year. Good luck and take a look at Lexus and Land Cruiser.

------------------
"Ordered" May 8, 2000
Imola Red / Black

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I went ahead and ordered a Blk 00 Sport X5.I drove the X5 w/ 18 inch wheels, and I must say that the truck, or SAV, drove , and handled like a sports car.I did almost have it on two wheels, coming out of a sharp turn but thank G-D it didnt flip. A friend of mine has a 99 ML 430, and he even said that he loves the X5 and perhaps might trade his Mercedes in for one.Kind of hard to believe . Anyway looking forward to the X5.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not that I think the Range Rover is any great shakes, but I found it funny that you chose to complain about the cupholders given what we get in the M5.

- TheTooth

Originally posted by M5mark:
Here comes a Rover Hater ..............

Sorry Andy, but to even mention the words "Land," "Range," or "Rover" in the same post as "M5" seems to me to be the ultimate sacrilege. I am on my 2nd 4.6, this vehicle is a s*h*i*t box. Nothing but a steady of ongoing malfunctions, problems, defects, headaches, and to add insult to injury - a "built in" Cup Holder that is such an outrageous nonfunctional joke that Land Rover of North America actually supplies all new owners with a nasty little 99¢ aftermarket clip-on cup holder as a part of their "Welcome to the Family - This Will Look Really Great in Your Brand New $68,000 Range Rover" promotional package.

But hey, don't get me wrong, you might have actually received one of the 2-3 problem-free vehicles that Rover supposedly makes each year. Good luck and take a look at Lexus and Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Rand/Range rovers are terribel. Having owned an XKE, an XJS v-12, and currently an XK8 (yes, despte the quality problems, we like those jags. and the ford ones are fine). I've found that the Range/Land Rovers suffer from the same lack of engineering that plagued the XJS model line: lucas doesn't know what electricity is and thoe damn brits still havent figured out what the word reliability means. Point in case:

my aunt nearly had to have her left arm amputated because one day, her range rover 4.6 decided to steer on it's own. absolutly NO response form the sterring mechanism.

case 2: a 7 year old (daughter of a family friedn) was run over in her school parking lot when a range rover's accelerator became stuck. the driver swerved in order to avoid running into buildings.

From that alone I've personally decided not to buy the car. I have, however, purchased a Lexus LX470 and I can tell you that the car is simply SUPERB. Especially if you need the space that the Rovers dont offer. I took an X5 out and i've also driven a friend's ML430. I'd take an x5 over the ml in a heartbeat. onlything that the MLs really have that I like was the 6 panel sunroof.

==Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here comes a Rover Hater ..... again .....

For thetooth: Sorry if my post seemed petty re: the cup holder. That was just an outrageous example of British "engineering."

The (my) Range Rover Experience(s): I've had a Differential burn up, all Fuses blow (I carried spares and used 3-5 a week), no Power Seats or Windows, various pieces of Trim fall off, Side Lights pop out, Oil Oil Oil everywhere – all the time, thumping, grinding, vibrating Engine noises, no Heat, no AC, no Heat or AC to the rear passengers, Remote Entry Key only works sometimes, ABS failure, Traction Control failure, various Control Buttons and Knobs fall off, Center Cubby Cover break, Rear Ashtray break, Transmission failure and replacement and failure and replacement, Tail Gate squeaks and rusted, HVAC was designed NOT to work on Automatic mode, Built in Garage Door Opener only works sometimes, Brakes squeak all the time, Wind Screen Washer leaks, a Gas Tank that I couldn't fill past 3/4, Cruise Control failure, Engine overheating over 40 mph, Trip Computer malfunctions, Audio System failures, Rear View Mirrors that shake and shake and shake, Weather Striping falling off, Remote Seat/Mirror Settings that never worked, Brake Pedal squeaks, Sun Roof squeaks, Air Suspension malfunctions, Break Lights that stayed on continually and, that g-d dam Cup Holder.

Enough? If not, let me know ..... I can keep going.

PS Tooth: The ultimate sacrilege: You mentioned the words "Range" and "Rover" in the same post as "M5."

------------------
"Ordered" May 8, 2000
Imola Red / Black

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess I have been lucky with my R/R ... it's got character just like those old British sports cars and when you take it off road there's no contest with anything else that provides anywhere near the comfort.

The M5 on the other hand is just an engineering marvel ...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your post didn't seem petty. I just thought it was funny considering how pathetic the cupholders in the 5-series are. Didn't stop me from ordering the M5, though.

- TheTooth
(LeMans/LeMans due in August)

Originally posted by M5mark:

For thetooth: Sorry if my post seemed petty re: the cup holder. That was just an outrageous example of British "engineering."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts