BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been a problem i have been dealing with for a year now. I was wondering if other M5 or e60 owners were having the same issue. When bringing my car in for the repair first my service advisor told me i had to replace the airbag..... should tell you about the dealership in so many words. then realized it was the occupancy sensor. i brought the car in they refused to repair it because my VIN did not fall into the category of Recalled cars although its the same exact issue. After being denied the repair i called bmw NA to see if they could help with the issue but they denied the repair as well. It seems like a lot of people have the very same issue and they continue to shrug it off claiming that a car is not on the recall list. is there a way we can start a petition to have our sensors either repaired or reimbursed for whatever payments we've made to have it repaired. Like a lot of the people posting here the passenger seat is rarely used so this is obviously an issue with the car from the factory.

It looks like bmw expects me to pay for the repair out of pocket but I'd still like to fight it because i can probably count the times someone has sat in the passenger seat and never have they done a cannon ball or have a had a summo wrestler in there so i cant imagine the sensor is physically damaged. After being denied the request by BMW North America the case manager informed me there is nothing i can done and once I've been denied a repair by a regional manager they are no longer willing to look into the repair. I wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone has dealt with this kind of situation where the manufacturer should clearly cover costs for repair but refuses to pay for them and what course of action you took. thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
me too I think this is a safety issue. they need to fix this or come up with a solution. other then just pay for the repairs out of are own pockets.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not sure if this is applicable for the M5's, but when I had my 04 545, I had received a notice for recall on the passenger airbag issue. There's probably a way to check online if the M's were part of that recall. My light for passenger restraint just started flashing and such yesterday...

I'll ask my friend if he still has the letter for his 545.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i know it was a recall on the 5 series.. but not sure on the M. i took my car to the dealership and they said that my car did not fall in the recall they had. i just dont understand why BMW wont repair it when is a "sefety" issue, specially when they claim how safe their cars are. What if i would get into an accident and person dies due to the airbag not deplying i dont think it would be pretty when i'm suing the piss out of them. just saying..

·
Registered
319 Posts
i got the exact same problem few days ago and the dealer said it's cover under warranty . You should check around other bmw dealer or write compliant letter to bmw usa .

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you're in the UK, You should not need to pay a bmw repair for what is an known manufacturing fault. BMW wont fix anything for free because the shops usually have to internalize the defective parts. Hope this won't happen to you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same sensor on and when i took it to the dealership they were able to remove it by the computer, hasnt came back since..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm currently in the middle of a diy replacement of this sensor. If the dealership sends you away, I believe the required proof to make them cover it is the following:

Go here: INSL-PE07045-26636.pdf (application/pdf Object) and use this for reference.
If BMW claims that you are not covered, I believe the only way to get around that is to show them they made a mistake when selecting valid VINs for the extended warranty on the sensor. The above document gives a way to do this. After removing the seat cushion I found a date on my sensor that was before the one listed in the above document. At this point since the above document is listed on a safety recall website, and you've shown the date on your sensor to be a part of the recall, they're required to replace it for you. I'll post the results once I get done with this whole debacle.

Also, if your vehicle was manufactured after 12/05 (listed on the sticker right near the driver side door latch), I'd say don't even bother with trying to remove the seat cushion.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I get it periodically too. It doesn't pop up often enough to be a real issue or concern. I will probably get it fixed under my extended warranty soon. My mechanic says it's a common thing and has something to do with the mercury switch in the sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm currently in the middle of a diy replacement of this sensor. If the dealership sends you away, I believe the required proof to make them cover it is the following:

Go here: INSL-PE07045-26636.pdf (application/pdf Object) and use this for reference.
If BMW claims that you are not covered, I believe the only way to get around that is to show them they made a mistake when selecting valid VINs for the extended warranty on the sensor. The above document gives a way to do this. After removing the seat cushion I found a date on my sensor that was before the one listed in the above document. At this point since the above document is listed on a safety recall website, and you've shown the date on your sensor to be a part of the recall, they're required to replace it for you. I'll post the results once I get done with this whole debacle.

Also, if your vehicle was manufactured after 12/05 (listed on the sticker right near the driver side door latch), I'd say don't even bother with trying to remove the seat cushion.
hey do you happen to know where i can find the link to the safety recall website?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, I have the same problem with the passenger restraint/ airbag error code. I took it to my local BMR mechanic and he could not clear the code. In fact, he said it is most like the occupancy sensor and/or the seatbelt tensioner thing. Either way my dilemma grows further... I bought the car with a Salvage Title. So now red flags are waving in everyone's mind when I tell them about the error code (which needs to be cleared to get it to pass the CHP inspection) even though it may have nothing to do with the accident the car was in. It had been hit, 3 years ago, and repaired. The r/r quarter panel took most of the damage. I had some local BMR guys check that too and they found very little area was affected.

My car was manufactured 11/05 (2006 M5). So even if it is party of that safety recall, the $tealership will say something to the effect of, "Sorry, we can't cover it because it's a salvage title".

SOOOOO, I'm hoping to find someone local that can tell me for sure what to go after to make it right. I'd really like to avoid the process of elimination if at all possible.:grrrrr:

Eddie

·
Registered
40 Posts
The code should tell him what it is specifically. My code was 93C3, OC3 timeout. If you paid the dealership to try to clear the codes, call them back and make them give you the exact codes, and you can go from there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So what did that code you got mean anyway? My local BMW guy told me it was coming back to the passenger sensor in the seat. Not good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oc3 is the name of the passenger occupancy sensor. The timeout error 93C3 is one of the errors mentioned in the technical service bulletins that can result from "Micro-cracks" in the sensor of the old design that was used in e60s built through November 2005. For e60s specifically, the old design covered by extended warranty are OC3 sensors with a build dates before 11/07/2005. See my post here:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...ion/164965-faulty-occupancy-sensor-mat-2.html

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had the same exact thing happen to me. My VIN apparently did not fall under the recall list. Just got it repaired last week and cost me $1,100. OUCH!!

that's good price consider dealer told me that usually cost about 3k for parts and labour

1 - 20 of 22 Posts