BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend has an 2008 M5. His engine blew and the Lauderdale BMW in Ft. Lauderdale Florida tried blaming him for driving through water and have his insurance pay, but instead gasoline was found. They have had his car for 2 months now. This is my friends 3rd M5 (2001,2006,2008) He has owned an 07 335 and an 08 335 convertible and a 09 135. It is a shame that BMW would treat such a loyal customer this way.

To Whom It May Concern

I am writing to you in reference to my 2008 BMW M5 VIN #, On Sep 27, 2010 I had an issue with my 2008 BMW M5. The check engine light turned on and I had BMW roadside pickup the vehicle. BMW roadside took my vehicle to Lauderdale BMW on 14800 Sheridan Street. Upon receiving the car I was advised by BMW service that they would inspect the car and get back to me.

After approximately 2 weeks after receiving the car the service advisor at the dealer stated that the car suffered “Hydro Lock” and the car needed a new engine. In their opinion, BMW felt the damage was caused by water being sucked into the engine. Therefore, this was an issue for my insurance company and my insurance would have to pay for the repair. He asked me if I drove the car through deep water and I replied no. I contacted Progressive Insurance (my insurer) and they said would inspect the car and contact me once they determined the cause of the engine damage.

Within a week of my conversation with Progressive on Oct 19, 2010, they called me and informed me that they had BMW test the oil in the engine and results were pending. The adjuster explained to me that if there is oil and water mixed in the engine, then they would have to pay for the damage, if not then there were not liable and they would not pay. Within two days of that conversation Progressive contacted me and informed me that they received the results from the oil sample and that no water was found in the oil. The oil sample proved that gasoline was found in the oil and the repair should be performed by BMW under warranty. My insurance adjuster mentioned that BMW was simply trying to avoid paying for the costly repair and trying to get the insurance company to pay so they wouldn’t have to and that BMW has been doing this a lot. I called Lauderdale BMW and my service advisor stated that because it was gasoline BMW needed a couple of days to figure out what they were going to do. Because of BMW’s initial neglect it took almost 4 weeks after BMW received my car to perform this simple oil test that my insurance company requested. They could have simply performed this test initially without wasting unnecessary time and could have used the time to repair and return the car back to me in a fair and timely fashion. Approximately 10 days after my conversation with my BMW service advisor, he contacted me to tell me that BMW decided to cover the repair and that I should have my car back by Friday, Nov 5, 2010.

As of November 15, 2010 I still have not received my M5 back from the dealership. My lease expires on Dec 16, 2010. I have given BMW ample time to resolve this issue. I am appalled at their neglect and their actions. Their incorrect diagnosis has left me without my car for over a month and a half. Their manner of dishonesty of time of completion without any recourse for me has left me no choice but to contact you. The least I would expect from BMW is to make my 2 lease payments while it was at the Lauderdale BMW shop due to their negligence and lack of diagnosis.

Thank you for your time,

Car serviced at:
BMW Fort Lauderdale
14800 Sheridan St.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33331

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is just sad, I dunno if there are other manufacturers pulling the same kind of junk on their customers but BMW is really going at it with full throttle. How sad. There should be way to convey this message to BMW of NA that how it is really affecting all the future potential buyers... I'd buy a Hyundai and be treated better.
I feel for you OP.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm curious as to whether other BMW owners are having these same issues, or is it just the owners of M series that are having so many issues with the dealerships?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm curious as to whether other BMW owners are having these same issues, or is it just the owners of M series that are having so many issues with the dealerships?
The 335i (N54) guys have the same problems as we do. Service at Mercedes or Lexus as been way better than what I get from my local BMW dealer. I'm going to try another local dealer, heard good things about them.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The part completely boggles the mind is that they cannot diagnose the cause of a blown motor. Clearly before a diagnosis of hydrolock is made there should be some supporting evidence.

If I were this careless at making diagnoses, the bodies would be piling up.

Also, I am surprised that they didn't blame an "over rev" since that is their usual M.O.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The part completely boggles the mind is that they cannot diagnose the cause of a blown motor. Clearly before a diagnosis of hydrolock is made there should be some supporting evidence.

If I were this careless at making diagnoses, the bodies would be piling up.

Also, I am surprised that they didn't blame an "over rev" since that is their usual M.O.
Agreed I mean it took them 2 weeks just to tell me Hyrolock. Then for them not to do an oil test and tell me its an insurance issue, they wasted so much time by not making any effort to diagnosis the car at all. Ive been a very loyal BMW customer and this type of behavior clearly shows what they think of there customers, In the last 7 years I have purchased several BMW's all new and #3 of them were M5's, not to mention the amount of family friends Ive also converted to BMW's, its just so sad that they treat me like this.....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wait, how is this a Lemon car? This isn't the 3rd time this has happened is it? If this is the first time, it's not a lemon. Bad dealer service, a lemon does not make. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait, how is this a Lemon car? This isn't the 3rd time this has happened is it? If this is the first time, it's not a lemon. Bad dealer service, a lemon does not make. ;)

Im not sure how it works in Arizona but in Florida if the car is out of service for more then 30 days then it qualifies as a lemon... Besides BMW could have easily repaired this car in fair time frame rather then just wasting all that time and trying to pass blame... Also in my opinion a car that cost over 100k that has a blown motor with low miles, I would consider a lemon...

·
Registered
831 Posts
"My friend has an 2008 M5. His engine blew and the Lauderdale BMW in Ft. Lauderdale Florida tried blaming him for driving through water and have his insurance pay, but instead gasoline was found. They have had his car for 2 months now. This is my friends 3rd M5 (2001,2006,2008) He has owned an 07 335 and an 08 335 convertible and a 09 135. It is a shame that BMW would treat such a loyal customer this way."

"Agreed I mean it took them 2 weeks just to tell me Hyrolock. Then for them not to do an oil test and tell me its an insurance issue, they wasted so much time by not making any effort to diagnosis the car at all. Ive been a very loyal BMW customer and this type of behavior clearly shows what they think of there customers, In the last 7 years I have purchased several BMW's all new and #3 of them were M5's, not to mention the amount of family friends Ive also converted to BMW's, its just so sad that they treat me like this....."

I'm confused??
Are you referring to yourself or a friend??<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"My friend has an 2008 M5. His engine blew and the Lauderdale BMW in Ft. Lauderdale Florida tried blaming him for driving through water and have his insurance pay, but instead gasoline was found. They have had his car for 2 months now. This is my friends 3rd M5 (2001,2006,2008) He has owned an 07 335 and an 08 335 convertible and a 09 135. It is a shame that BMW would treat such a loyal customer this way."

"Agreed I mean it took them 2 weeks just to tell me Hyrolock. Then for them not to do an oil test and tell me its an insurance issue, they wasted so much time by not making any effort to diagnosis the car at all. Ive been a very loyal BMW customer and this type of behavior clearly shows what they think of there customers, In the last 7 years I have purchased several BMW's all new and #3 of them were M5's, not to mention the amount of family friends Ive also converted to BMW's, its just so sad that they treat me like this....."

I'm confused??
Are you referring to yourself or a friend??<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

"Haveboost" Originally posted the first post on my behalf (im the friend he is referring to) and after the first post Ive been replying to the posts. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So wait: The engine filled with GASOLINE and caused it to Hydroloc? How the hell does that even happen? And I am not calling the OP or the owner of the car a liar at all, I am just seriously starting to worry every time I push the start button on my M5 - will it be the last time it starts or am I destroying a V10 that was mysteriously over-reved?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So wait: The engine filled with GASOLINE and caused it to Hydroloc? How the hell does that even happen? And I am not calling the OP or the owner of the car a liar at all, I am just seriously starting to worry every time I push the start button on my M5 - will it be the last time it starts or am I destroying a V10 that was mysteriously over-reved?
Well obviously Im not lying BMW did cover the repair after a good long fight. From what I was told by BMW the fuel injector failed and stayed open and filled the cylinder up with fuel causing the hydro-lock to occur. I was told also that the gas we pump contains ethanol and that ethanol causes damage to our fuel systems on occasion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is scary, since I am in the Ethanol capital of the world...every pump around me has the stuff in it. I guess I better call BMW to ensure I am not screwing myself into an expensive repair. Thanks for the tip and I am glad you had a good outcome - even if it was the hard way. (Hey BMW - these are expensive cars - start treating your customers like they deserve to be treated.)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I thought ALL gas in the US now has 10% ethanol By Law. It's not like you can avoid it. Also, the govt just bend over backwards for the corn producers and will now push for 15% ethanol in ALL gas.

p.s. I got rid of the 335xi because the N54 HPFP was almost 100% sure to fail due to the ethanol. I thought that was bad. Now we have the prospect of a $25K motor grenading itself because of the same fuel? At least the HPFP was cheap to replace.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well obviously Im not lying BMW did cover the repair after a good long fight. From what I was told by BMW the fuel injector failed and stayed open and filled the cylinder up with fuel causing the hydro-lock to occur. I was told also that the gas we pump contains ethanol and that ethanol causes damage to our fuel systems on occasion.
Sounds more like fuel wash not hydrolock, but whatever the case you got your new motor.....

BUT HOW DARE that dealership try to pin this on you. I'd take this issue as high as you could go. Heck, this would make a nice news story for those low life local "investigative" TV report spots.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is this a case all over NA or just Florida? Because if this is how BMW treats their M customers, I'm not sure if I want one anymore. I've been with GM vehicles for a while and this is something that GM would do to their customers.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Thanks for clarifying.. I could not make sense of this until your above post.

I'm not placing blame, or suggesting anything, but this is something to keep in mind:

I have seen 80+ cars hydrolocked at a dealer in SoFL. These roads fill up quick, and people do not realise that you shouldn't be driving, and if your stuck, to stay away from the left lane/median and drive slow... 10mph slow. Therefore, I can see why a dealer would assume this.

As it turns out, the engine was hydrolocked, but in an uncommon way.. with fuel instead of water. Sounds like the dealer made a reasonable diagnosis, put it to insurance like they always do with this VERY common case.. but upon further inspection, this case was more unique.. hydrolocked with fuel, bmw warranty.. taken care of.

I think you may have jumped the gun a little here. I would be surprised if BMW didn't cover your 2 monthly lease payments.. 90% of the time they do the right thing. I do not think the dealer should be bad mouthed.

Did BMW respond yet? Very curious.. again I think they will cover your payments.

These gas stations are just ruining cars.. and the high performance ones are the first to go. In SoFL when you fill up on the water (gas pumps for boats) are required to be ethanol free. I wish I could go there and fill up. I cannot imagine a 5% increase in ethanol.. our cars will be destroyed.

Hope your situation gets worked out.. and to your satisfaction as it should. The downtime sucks, but if BMW prevails in the end I would be happy to see they are doing the right thing and making the best of a bad situation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts