BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all

We spoke with an insider in BMW Denmark yesterday, my dad was talking to him about different kind of stuff, like, M5. :D

Then the source mentioned the engine was built for 600 horse power, and can make 600 horse power with ECU modifying only!

Also, it doesn't have 507 horse power, but it actually has around 525 - 530 ponies, just a matter of time when all the dyno freaks with figure out :). BMW decided to call it 507 horse power because it was a magic number or so to BMW.

This solves a few of the problems about how the M5 could keep up with the Gallardo, 993 Turbo and all those cars!

Have a nice day :1:

He also said that they were a bit disappointed that the car wasn't faster than the E55 than it actually is :(

·
Registered
623 Posts
MortenDK said:
Hey all

We spoke with an insider in BMW Denmark yesterday, my dad was talking to him about different kind of stuff, like, M5. :D

Then the source mentioned the engine was built for 600 horse power, and can make 600 horse power with ECU modifying only!

Also, it doesn't have 507 horse power, but it actually has around 525 - 530 ponies, just a matter of time when all the dyno freaks with figure out :). BMW decided to call it 507 horse power because it was a magic number or so to BMW.

This solves a few of the problems about how the M5 could keep up with the Gallardo, 993 Turbo and all those cars!

He also said that they were a bit disappointed that the car wasn't faster than the E55 than it actually is :(

Well, there is no need to be disappointed about E55 - M5 is much faster after if I recall rightly after 140 km and it’s clearly shown in the video against E55, M5 simply leaves E55 in dust after short while!!!

Other info about bhp is quite interesting. Let’s wait and see what tuning companies reliably will be able to do with E60 M5 engine. Would be very nice to get 600 bhp without serious intervention into the engine

ouich

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
MortenDK said:
Hey all

Very interesting information. It certainly sounds reasonable that the actual horsepower figures are closer to 520 - 530. I have to doubt the ability to raise the horsepower to 600 with only a chip. That sounds too good to be true for an N/A engine.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
maybe a stupid question but will this apply to the M6 also?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
BD 997 said:
maybe a stupid question but will this apply to the M6 also?
yup...same engine, lighter body, lower center of gravity, hence why the M6 blew the doors off the 997S...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wolverine said:
Very interesting information. It certainly sounds reasonable that the actual horsepower figures are closer to 520 - 530. I have to doubt the ability to raise the horsepower to 600 with only a chip. That sounds too good to be true for an N/A engine.
I don't think any tuning company will be able to make 600 hp with ECU programming only. Only BMW knows how to set the engine up for such, but it is what it is built for. I have no reasons to doubt this source as he has been very correct about other answers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We are talking about engine power, at the cranck right?

So now it's time to check RW-Hp to see the "real world" power.
E39M5 was 400Hp and a RWHp aroud 340-360 so i whant to see the dyno for the E60, it will be insteresting...:flag:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Since peak power comes before the 8300 RPM redline, raising the redline alone will not increase the power. Only with an increase in high-RPM torque will increasing the redline affect peak power. I am very dubious that this can be done to the extent required via ECU reprogramming alone to get an additional 20% power in this engine.

Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
If the VANOS system had un-used range in the overlap adjustment there might be more power available at the cost of emissions. But in general I have to agree that 600hp seems optimistic for ECU only.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You have to consider this... BMW Press Release from last year says:

The new transmission is technically designed to handle a torque of up to
550 Newton metres and engine speeds of up to 8,500 rpm.
This gives
the transmission sufficient reserves to ensure reliable operation throughout the new M5’s entire lifecycle, which is further further enhanced by a separate oil cooling system for the high-performance engine.

Increase of HP also means more NM's, right? So, how about that????:confused2

·
Registered
432 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, I think I made a thread 8-9 months ago about the V10 engine. And if I didn't; my bad.
To the point, last time I heard anything, they had been sucsessfully testing the engine at 612 hp. Apparently w/o overheating or other failures. What mods that was made to the engine to push 600+, is unknown to me, but I appeared to me that no mods was done at all! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
MortenDK said:
BMW decided to call it 507 horse power because it was a magic number or so to BMW.
Yes, because the 507 is a 1950's roadster and, for many, the most exclusive car BMW ever made. Is the z8's forefather and the most expensive production BMW to buy today (as an oldtimer ofcourse)!

BMW heritage!!:M5thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Question: can the M5 & M6's chassis handle 600bhp? The SL, CL and S 65 seem to be kicking in traction control according to reviews and make them pointless to some degree, although still extremely fast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From every single video and review, it sounded like the v10 was beggin for more air! almost asthma like. IMO the exhausts are really restricting the airflow and
I bet this car is going to respond really well to mods!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Would be intersesting to see what powerchip could do and for the fellows who already own one to put it up on a dyno to see what kind of power a stock M5 is putting down to the ground, Josh

·
Registered
445 Posts
2004M5 said:
You have to consider this... BMW Press Release from last year says:

The new transmission is technically designed to handle a torque of up to
550 Newton metres and engine speeds of up to 8,500 rpm.
This gives
the transmission sufficient reserves to ensure reliable operation throughout the new M5’s entire lifecycle, which is further further enhanced by a separate oil cooling system for the high-performance engine.

Increase of HP also means more NM's, right? So, how about that????:confused2
not exactly

the peak torque for the m5 is at ~5000rpm getting 600hp won't change this a lot but make 550Nm at 8500rpm and you get 660hp.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I might buy that 600hp is available in just the ECU. We can't say how much they pulled the engine back. Reducing fuel, spark advance, duration (dwell) all come to mind as cutting back high RPM HP. I agree on the mention of exhaust as well, the engine does seem to be a bit restricted.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I would have to add that one of the reason why I thought BMW made this a 507hp car specifically was because of the SAE/DIN differences that caused the E39 M5 to dip from 400hp to 394hp in NA spec. I suspect they didn't want that to happen again and made it 507 to be sure!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts