BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW's brand new M5 has stunned road testers with its performance, handling and a remarkable 11 separate modes for the car's seven-speed SMG sequential gearbox. However, despite claims that this is simply "too many" modes, engineers in Munich are said to be hard at work on even more selectable options for future versions of the semi-manual transmission. "You can never have too many modes," said one high-ranking engineeringer. "That's why the next generation SMG will come with over 100 user selectable settings, almost all of them bafflingly pointless. To begin with there will be some fairly obvious choices such as 'Sport' which offers a more aggressive change strategy, 'Track Sport' which offers even more aggressive change strategy, and 'Club Sport' which offers a change strategy so aggressive that on every upchange the car will literally smack the driver in the face with a big club. These settings will be joined by other sport modes including 'Lucozade Sport', 'Sky Sport' and 'Dickie Davies' World Of Sport'"
However, our Munich source says that this is just the tip of a very silly, gearbox-related iceberg. "The real developments for the next SMG system will come in automatic mode," he claims. "Traditional autoboxes typically feature just a simple 'Winter' mode. We will take this to the next logical step with 'Spring', 'Summer' and 'Autumn' modes, plus additional settings including 'Drizzle', 'Light Breeze', 'Slightly Overcast' and 'Oooh, It's Mild For The Time Of Year' modes".
Our BMW spy also claims that further developments may include modes selectable on the basis of the driver's mood, including 'Comfort', 'Tired', 'Bloody Annoyed' and 'Strangely Wistful'. However, he denied recent rumours that we may also in future see a 'Shouldn't You Have Decided On The Car's Settings For Us Since You're The [Oops!] Engineers' mode.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, maybe it's a car to be driven by engineers.
Then, they can set the modes as they fell like it, instead of deciding just one when building the car... ;)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
REPOST - Please do not repost stuff from old threads guys!! :nono:

The next person who posts this sniffpetrol.com article gets a slap :p

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Funny :)

Definetely hits the target imho

all the best
adam

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
REPOST - Please do not repost stuff from old threads guys!! :nono:

The next person who posts this sniffpetrol.com article gets a slap :p
Not just that, but he didn't even give credit to the source or use quotes. He made it seem like he wrote that, which is downright deceiving and lacks respect for intellectual property.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MEnthusiast said:
I agree, this is wrong. I ask Ilya Zverev to make the proper changes.
You guys are too serious … Saw the lonely thread on roadfly and decided to draw more attention to it since it does hit home after 2 years of driving SMG M3.

Copy right? What copyright? I see more magazine articles scanned here than anywhere else… The idea was to share a cool piece of info.. I have no clue who wrote it in the first place or if it was posted already, since I don’t spend enough time on the board :) sorry :) too busy driving my cars :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Im just asking you to give credit where it is due. You could easily say: I found this at: [list URL here].

Its just dishonest because it looks like its your own creation. Doing the above would have added 5-10 seconds to the process.

·
Registered
65 Posts
[

Point well stated. After having the pleasure of driving M5's for well over a decade now, I have been so excited for the e60 M5. I ordered one almost two years ago and went to the Geneva Auto Show to see the "concept car". Upon learning that the car will be offered SMG only, I felt let down and angry. How could BMW not offer a manual transmission in the e60 M5 when the first three M5's were manual transmission only??? We need to stand up as a group and let BMW know that we demand a manual transmission!!! We must not lay down on this issue!!

QUOTE=Ilya Zverev]BMW's brand new M5 has stunned road testers with its performance, handling and a remarkable 11 separate modes for the car's seven-speed SMG sequential gearbox. However, despite claims that this is simply "too many" modes, engineers in Munich are said to be hard at work on even more selectable options for future versions of the semi-manual transmission. "You can never have too many modes," said one high-ranking engineeringer. "That's why the next generation SMG will come with over 100 user selectable settings, almost all of them bafflingly pointless. To begin with there will be some fairly obvious choices such as 'Sport' which offers a more aggressive change strategy, 'Track Sport' which offers even more aggressive change strategy, and 'Club Sport' which offers a change strategy so aggressive that on every upchange the car will literally smack the driver in the face with a big club. These settings will be joined by other sport modes including 'Lucozade Sport', 'Sky Sport' and 'Dickie Davies' World Of Sport'"
However, our Munich source says that this is just the tip of a very silly, gearbox-related iceberg. "The real developments for the next SMG system will come in automatic mode," he claims. "Traditional autoboxes typically feature just a simple 'Winter' mode. We will take this to the next logical step with 'Spring', 'Summer' and 'Autumn' modes, plus additional settings including 'Drizzle', 'Light Breeze', 'Slightly Overcast' and 'Oooh, It's Mild For The Time Of Year' modes".
Our BMW spy also claims that further developments may include modes selectable on the basis of the driver's mood, including 'Comfort', 'Tired', 'Bloody Annoyed' and 'Strangely Wistful'. However, he denied recent rumours that we may also in future see a 'Shouldn't You Have Decided On The Car's Settings For Us Since You're The [Oops!] Engineers' mode.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
248 Posts
I hope it has fun to drive mode? or driving on real roads mode? I hope it does not have break your back (due to bumps) mode.....? :haha2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
We need to let BMW management know how we feel about the lack of a manual transmission in the e60 M5!

M5_2010 said:
I hope it has fun to drive mode? or driving on real roads mode? I hope it does not have break your back (due to bumps) mode.....? :haha2:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Will Harvey said:
We need to let BMW management know how we feel about the lack of a manual transmission in the e60 M5!
Maybe the reason why there isn't a manual is because of the gearbosx layout? If there were a manual gear 1 would me down long right and 2nd up long left, I saw a picture of it in the swedish carmagazine "Automobil"'s latest edition.

Someone can for sure can find that picture.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Nimbus said:
Maybe the reason why there isn't a manual is because of the gearbosx layout?
BMW could certainly put the E39 M5 transmission in it or a close derivitive of it. However, my guess is that BMW has made the judgement that the demand for it would be very small and the additional costs high because, at least for this engine, it seems extremely likely that the SMG will outperform a 6-speed manual, and maybe signficantly so. In the case of the E46 M3, the manual will launch better than the SMG and can perform generally about as well when driven by an expert. The performance boost of the E60's SMG III appears to give the nod to the SMG in virtually all uses, and especially by non-experts.

I have been driving for about 35 years and have always had a manual transmission in every single car I've owned. However, the technology and claimed performance advantages of the new SMG and M5 have me sufficiently intrigued that I am putting aside my normal biases and actually excited about giving the SMG a go. With that said, I will keep my manual M3 cabrio and maybe even pick up a manual pure sports car soon.

Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
The SMG would be a nice option, but to not even give consumers a choice
of a manual transmission is unbelievable. (All previous M5's were manual trans only) Not to mention longevity. BMW has been offering automatic transmissions for many years and they are still notorious for problems, often needing replacement between 80k and 120k miles. Will

QUOTE=bernhtp]BMW could certainly put the E39 M5 transmission in it or a close derivitive of it. However, my guess is that BMW has made the judgement that the demand for it would be very small and the additional costs high because, at least for this engine, it seems extremely likely that the SMG will outperform a 6-speed manual, and maybe signficantly so. In the case of the E46 M3, the manual will launch better than the SMG and can perform generally about as well when driven by an expert. The performance boost of the E60's SMG III appears to give the nod to the SMG in virtually all uses, and especially by non-experts.

I have been driving for about 35 years and have always had a manual transmission in every single car I've owned. However, the technology and claimed performance advantages of the new SMG and M5 have me sufficiently intrigued that I am putting aside my normal biases and actually excited about giving the SMG a go. With that said, I will keep my manual M3 cabrio and maybe even pick up a manual pure sports car soon.

Tom[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Will Harvey said:
The SMG would be a nice option, but to not even give consumers a choice
of a manual transmission is unbelievable. (All previous M5's were manual trans only) Not to mention longevity. BMW has been offering automatic transmissions for many years and they are still notorious for problems, often needing replacement between 80k and 120k miles. Will
well, in defense of BMW.. these are not automatic transmissions.

I agree with Tom. I am willing to give it a go and hope that I am not disappointed. However, if a manual was offered, it would be a no-brainer for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts