BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i had unlimited moola falling from my pockets the choice would be simple, but unfotunatly that is not the case! i would love to go to the bmw dealership all the time but its soooo expensive! I would like to hear what anyone else thinks or any horrer stories of taking your baby to a private mechanic!!??:dunno:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
If i had unlimited moola falling from my pockets the choice would be simple, but unfotunatly that is not the case! i would love to go to the bmw dealership all the time but its soooo expensive! I would like to hear what anyone else thinks or any horrer stories of taking your baby to a private mechanic!!??:dunno:
If I had that, I still wouldn't go to the dealer. Unfortunately, some of the techs only know how to replace, not repair issues with our "Beasts". If you find a good indy, they are worth their weight in GOLD!. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Indy dealer all the way you can save so much more, i paid $95 an hour to have my car hooked up to a gt1 an have car diagnosed.....compared to bmw dealer that charges $125 an hour. Just do your research before you let them touch your car because they could **** it up even more then thats even more money....

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Sorry, but what you pay has almost nothing to do with your question. A good mechanic (whether he is at a dealer, an independent, or in his own back yard), is what you are looking for. A person, by name! One that is honest and knows his sh!t.

Unfortunately, if he is with a dealer, he is liable to move often ... move with him ... or go into business for himself, follow him. And, I am not kidding about someone doing business in his back yard. The best mechanic I ever met, hands down, and later worked for, started out in his back yard.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Indy dealer all the way you can save so much more, i paid $95 an hour to have my car hooked up to a gt1 an have car diagnosed.....compared to bmw dealer that charges $125 an hour. Just do your research before you let them touch your car because they could **** it up even more then thats even more money....
+1

Never taken my M5 to the dealer... took my old E36 M3 to the dealer for any problem and they were so unhelpful and really did not seem to know what was going on half the time. Eventually ended up taking the M3 to a few general car shops (not BMW/euro specific) for a few problems that they fixed right away. I have great relationships with some of these private shops and use them from time to time for my other vehicles.

But for my M5 I always take it to a BMW-specific shop. I don't think you will hear any more horror stories about an indy then you will about a dealer. At the end of the day they are all businesses - some just trying to make a quick buck, some trying to help the customer. It is up to you to do some research, go to the shops and talk to the people yourself and find out the kind of people working there. Are they good folks or are they just trying to make some money? Start a relationship with the mechanic and it will be better off, stay with the same shop and develop a relationship with them. :cheers:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry, but what you pay has almost nothing to do with your question. A good mechanic (whether he is at a dealer, an independent, or in his own back yard), is what you are looking for. A person, by name! One that is honest and knows his sh!t.

totally agree. I use a friend of mine and his father to do some work on my beast. known them for a long time. They do it in their spare time for a bit of spendo's. my friend works a company that rebuilds high performance engines. They've do pretty much most jobs for me on any car ive had. i buy the parts so i know they are the right ones and ones i want and they fit them. I only use dealer for servicing to keep the full bm service history.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do a quick search for an Indy in your area, then hit up the folks in your area for some feedback on them. I spent a solid month looking for my indy after I bought my beast, and even did site visits on two others before making the final selection. Very happy/confident in my decision.

Re: a dealer, IMO you can fill a bag with cash, then remove 60% of it and set the bag with the remainder on fire. This will give you basically the same result without having to sit in their waiting area.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Do a quick search for an Indy in your area, then hit up the folks in your area for some feedback on them. I spent a solid month looking for my indy after I bought my beast, and even did site visits on two others before making the final selection. Very happy/confident in my decision.

Re: a dealer, IMO you can fill a bag with cash, then remove 60% of it and set the bag with the remainder on fire. This will give you basically the same result without having to sit in their waiting area.
Best policy

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
What are you looking to get done to your beast? If its only plugs, oil, etc its a DIY.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm assuming that you (the OP) are in Edmonton, like me. I prefer to do everything I can by myself. When the job is beyond my skills or confidence level, there are thankfully some choices as far as indy mechanics go, and I've heard both good and bad things about all of them. You don't want to attempt to diy something that might not go back together, and have to transport a non-running car to a mechanic for repair. The reality is that the shops are staffed by people who have good and bad days like the rest of us. They are also in business to make a profit, and must balance handing out free advice with taking care of paying customers.

Another reality is that the dealer usually can't see me for a couple of weeks - so by then I've usually decided to invest in any special tool (or four or five) needed to add to my collection and do the job myself, or else go to one of the others, like Eurasia when the job gets to be too risky (for me, that was a clutch replacement). There is also Karmac (sp?), and a couple of others who specialize in bimmers, but to find a guy who knows M5's is maybe tricky. At least at Eurasia, they deal with a number of high performance cars and have a dyno if there is any question about if your car is running properly. It's also cool that they seem to have respect for the car - not just a machine with a problem.

One benefit of having a dealer repair your car locally is that you have a warranty on the parts used on the repair - 2 years I think...

Perhaps I'll bump into you in E-town sometime.

Jeff

·
Registered
585 Posts
right now i have put in a complaint to BMW,i emailed Germany and got a reply today from BMW UK and they are taking the matter up
the guys here just couldn't answer one question i asked them,and they messed me about ..i just don't have confidence in them knowing enough at the BMW dealership on the m5 so I'm now in the place where i am going to use an approved mechanic not a dealership

1 - 11 of 11 Posts