BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is in at the dealer today (Eastern)for Valve Clearance and CO adjustment. I phoned to find out how she's doing and they have told me that there is an outstanding recall on the car which they deem as essential before handing the car back to me.
Any Suggestions or Experience of what it might be - I did ask but was told that the info was in German and they go by part numbers!!. I'm thinking they have Fuc...made a mistake and are trying to cover their arses. Opinions welcome.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Phlem5 said:
My car is in at the dealer today (Eastern)for Valve Clearance and CO adjustment. I phoned to find out how she's doing and they have told me that there is an outstanding recall on the car which they deem as essential before handing the car back to me.
Any Suggestions or Experience of what it might be - I did ask but was told that the info was in German and they go by part numbers!!. I'm thinking they have Fuc...made a mistake and are trying to cover their arses. Opinions welcome.
cheers,
Phil.
Recall my arse. When you go back if you notice a rather large shipping box outside then you have probably got a new engine!

Best

M5 Powered

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll see. I will be putting a few questions their way tomorrow. Wouldn't say no a new engine or suspension would be good, although there's not a lot wrong with the engine, hopefully their just short of a couple of shims or something.
By the way I managed to get some Amsoil off a comapny called Performance Oils, 01598 752 782, Chas is the guy to speak to, seemed fairly genned up on the old M cars, price was reasonable - £47.50 - 5L of fully synthetic 20/50, and I got a V1 for £290 - just crossing t's from previous threads.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My experience is the same as pliskens - expansion tank cap about 2 years ago. Has your car been to a main dealer in the last couple of years? If they need to order a new cap (highly likely) then they'll need to keep it until the part arrives - no doubt there'll be a rule that prevents them from returning the car to you until it's been done.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car had an inspection 2 last December and a couple of other trips to the dealers courtesy of previous owner, so if expansion tank cap is the last recall item, then I tend to agree with M5 powered - its a load of bull. I knew that if Plisken replied to this thread then I would have the answer on the latest recall info, given his experience with the dealers, and with you seconding Mr P's info that's good enough for me. I might be able to wangle a test drive of the new M5 for their porkie pies. I must say I'm feeling a bit like an anxious parent tonight.
Cheers,
Phil.
Kurt Ramsden said:
My experience is the same as pliskens - expansion tank cap about 2 years ago. Has your car been to a main dealer in the last couple of years? If they need to order a new cap (highly likely) then they'll need to keep it until the part arrives - no doubt there'll be a rule that prevents them from returning the car to you until it's been done.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Phlem5 said:
By the way I managed to get some Amsoil off a comapny called Performance Oils, 01598 752 782, Chas is the guy to speak to, seemed fairly genned up on the old M cars, price was reasonable - £47.50 - 5L of fully synthetic 20/50...
You can get equivalent oil quality for almost half that price - I got my Silkolene Pro-R for £25.

Have a chat with 'Oilman' on the BMW Car Club forum - http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=8710&PN=1 - and see what he thinks of your Amsoil (I don't know yet, and am not trying to be facetious - for a change :hihi:)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check that out, thanks for the link. I can tell you what the Amsoil guy thought of Silkolene - Not as good as the Amsoil :p of course he sells the stuff, but the oilman sells Silkolene so whataya gonna do, mind you I use Silky in my Rotax Max lovelove . anyway I'm starting to think of going semi synthetic next time. maybe should just leave the oil to the Garage.
cheers,
Phil.
Mmm-Five said:
You can get equivalent oil quality for almost half that price - I got my Silkolene Pro-R for £25.

Have a chat with 'Oilman' on the BMW Car Club forum - http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=8710&PN=1 - and see what he thinks of your Amsoil (I don't know yet, and am not trying to be facetious - for a change :hihi:)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Phlem5 said:
I'll check that out, thanks for the link. I can tell you what the Amsoil guy thought of Silkolene - Not as good as the Amsoil :p of course he sells the stuff, but the oilman sells Silkolene so whataya gonna do, mind you I use Silky in my Rotax Max lovelove . anyway I'm starting to think of going semi synthetic next time. maybe should just leave the oil to the Garage.
cheers,
Phil.
I actually meant the fact that he would be able to tell you how it is made and let you make your own mind up.

Some supposedly 'fully' synthetics are just mineral oil with additives.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latest chat form the dealer is that the motor is in for another day as they do not have gaskets in stock (meant to be the biggest parts dept in the UK). The 'recall' apparently is not important know and was down to misinformation form BMW or something - total B.S. What gets me is that I used to work in the trade and telling me this sort of thing is just taking the piss in my book. I think I will demand to see the Job card when I eventually pick the car up.
Re the Olis, I have read his article about the 'esther' base sythetics being the best which the pro r is, I understand the Amsoil is as well, it is red in colour to. Mind you £25 is a good price for 5l the pro r, the price I quoted included VAT and dely.
cheers,
Phil.
Mmm-Five said:
I actually meant the fact that he would be able to tell you how it is made and let you make your own mind up.

Some supposedly 'fully' synthetics are just mineral oil with additives.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm using the Pro R in the M3 now and will be using it in the M5 at the next service.
I got 20litres of it from the Oilman.

My dealer has knocked £72 off the quoted Inspection 1 service cost because I will be supplying the oil.

Hope all is ok with your car.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
kevinpayneuk said:
I'm using the Pro R in the M3 now and will be using it in the M5 at the next service.
I got 20litres of it from the Oilman.

My dealer has knocked £72 off the quoted Inspection 1 service cost because I will be supplying the oil.

Hope all is ok with your car.

Cheers
What price did you get the Pro-R for? Mine was £25 inc vat, plus delivery - although I picked mine up!

·
Registered
337 Posts
IIRC 20 litres was just over £100 delivered to the door. The prices do vary so it's worthwhile double checking

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
kevinpayneuk said:
IIRC 20 litres was just over £100 delivered to the door. The prices do vary so it's worthwhile double checking
Sounds about right!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, got the car back on Thursday night, managed to get my oil/plugs/filter changed (parts my own) f.o.c. for the delay after some words with 'jackanory' service advisor.
I have to say the car is going a lot better and is noticably smoother at tickover and less jerky when changing gear or leaving a junction. I think I will be getting my CO checked twice per year as the mpg's are better now also.
I am now about to take the M, wife and dog up north for a week so looking forward to some nice quiet camera free roads....Oh yes.
cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've heard about 2 recalls or product update's.
One is about a relay for the fuelpump and the other
was for some rear suspension parts.
But I heard these things from a guy from the AAA/ADAC/ANWB
(high way service). But I have no idea if he was talking trash
or if he was an expert.

my 2 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts