BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to the German magazine Auto Motor und Sport (AMS), BMW is planning a mid-engined sportscar around the V10 from the M5/M6 with 550 HP or the new V8 from the upcoming M3 with a tuned +400 HP.

Prices should start at around 120.000,00 euros.

AMS thinks they will call it the Z9.

My guess is that they might call it the M1, there was already a Z9 concept car that served as a public-teaser for the new 6 series so it would be unwise for BMW to use the same designation twice in such short time.

Besides, 'M1' still has much more appeal with the real fans and any car that uses the V10 engine should have an M in its name.

If this story is true, we might have a real alternative to the Gallardo and the F430.

You can find the article on:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/87490

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, you’re right in stating that according to the article the Z9 is a replacement for the Z8. But the concept is all different. As you know the Z8 was a front-engined car that was styled in the retro-look, a modern 507. The Z9 is mid-engined and will have a V10.

I guess BMW is trying to show the world that they can also make great Sportscars. Buying the Sauber F1 Team shows their determination. If they are successful in F1 in two years time, at the moment they launch this new car, they could have a winner on their hands. Unfortunately, by then F1 will have abandoned the V10 engines and will have gone for the V8, which might explain why BMW will also be offering the car with a V8.

I know, pure speculations….but we can still dream no?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well BMW have already confirmed they are building a Z4 M... and a new M Coupe.. this is confirmed in two Magazines here in SA..

This mid engine car will not be badged M1..

There have been rumours for over a year now of a Z10 supercar.. using a bored out to 6.0L V10 making 600 HP or a twin-turbo 5.0L making 660 HP.. This will bash Enzo and Pagani..

So if they make a smaller mid-engined car it will proably use the standard 5.0L V10.. and then take on and annihilate an F430 and Gallardo.. beacause the M3 engine is already is going to have 330 kW which is way over 400 HP..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard the same rumours about a Z10 a couple of years now, ever since BMW re-entered F1. Originally their goal was to build a mid-engined supercar. Today the Z10 would be a front-engined car with the V10. But this is only what they say in the press. No official confirmation from BMW yet and no prototypes yet on the road I think.
It's not uncommon that rumours are spread about new projects from BMW. As sometimes happens the BMW-board take several options of projects under consideration and will do a prototype they only fully develop to a road car when they are sure to succeed or there is enough spare money to finance them. Aka the M8 that was a testbed for the McLaren engine but was never developed to its full potential as a possible seller.
Sometimes the prototypes are displayed as a public-teaser to get the reaction from potential buyers (Z8 and Z1).
But if the rumours are correct BMW would be building 2 supercars? Taking on Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche? Should heat up the competition against Audi (Lamborghini) and Mercedes (McLaren SLR). Let's hope the BMW-board gives the green light, should be some fight.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
greggb said:
Well BMW have already confirmed they are building a Z4 M... and a new M Coupe..
A thought occured to me on the z4 M. Aren't all Z4s built in South Carolina? Weren't all of the Z3s as well? How were the M versions of the Z3 handled, and how will the Z4 be done? Initial build in SC, then shipped to M? Or are the M modifications just done on the assembly line in SC?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I believe they sent the M engines to SC. When M was "Motorsport" they would hand build each M car. Now they do it in the factory. I would guess they will send whatever engine they need to use to SC, since thats what they do (I think) for the regular X5 and Z4 engines.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MEnthusiast said:
I believe they sent the M engines to SC. When M was "Motorsport" they would hand build each M car. Now they do it in the factory. I would guess they will send whatever engine they need to use to SC, since thats what they do (I think) for the regular X5 and Z4 engines.
You should be right, I've read the same thing in an article some time ago. The last M to be build by hand was the M5 E34. After that they made all the modifications in the factory. Doesn't apply to special orders though. Want an M5 or any BMW with very special paint or specifications? Motorsport is going to do it in its own shop. I even read they made a special M850CSi with a dogseat instead of the regular passenger's seat for a very enthusiastic doglover. And what about an M5 E39 Touring. Not official but I read there where 2 special orders. So the regular M-versions of the Z4 are probably all build in the States, only very special orders are to be build at Motorsport.

The same goes for Alpina. They still do a lot in Buchloe but cars are already painted and some special features are already in place. I believe they even shift the engine to BMW to be build in to the car at the factory (not sure about that though).

Meanwhile read the full article of AMS and also read an article with the development chef Burkhard Göschel. According to AMS there will be only one sportscar from BMW and it will be in the range of the Gallardo - F430. BMW noticed the poor sales of the McLaren SLR - Porsche Carrera GT and will not develop their version of a supercar. So they will stick to their original plan for a mid-engined V10 or V8 for about 120.000,00 euros.

AMS said M3 and Z4M should have about 415 HP and 7 speed gearbox.

In the interview, Dr. Göschel confirmed BMW had other plans for the V10 other than the M5/M6 but they wouldn't be building an X5 V10. So probably confirmation of the Z10 is coming in 2008. Or do they have other plans (M7?)?
;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts