BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car currently has the old BMW phone setup(boxy flip cover type phone with credit card type SIM card). I wish to put in something more modern such as a Nokia or Motorolla but still utilise the built in microphone/speaker system.

Can this be done? If so what phone can I put in......any?

I do not want to go the bluetooth route with the 'nerdy commercial traveller' look earpiece(complete with office shirt with SHORT sleeves!) but will consider something integral ie without earpiece. Ideally I would like something that you can plug into the cradle and go to save all the fannying around taking out/puting in SIM cards.

A car communication installer said that the BMWs are only setup to take Vodaphone SIM cards.

Any idea if I can go the just insert SIM card route as per the newer BMWs (X5s?).

Lastly if it is possible, who does it(I am in the UK)?

Any assistance much appreciated

Pip

·
Registered
213 Posts
Pip said:
My car currently has the old BMW phone setup(boxy flip cover type phone with credit card type SIM card). I wish to put in something more modern such as a Nokia or Motorolla but still utilise the built in microphone/speaker system.

Can this be done? If so what phone can I put in......any?

I do not want to go the bluetooth route with the 'nerdy commercial traveller' look earpiece(complete with office shirt with SHORT sleeves!) but will consider something integral ie without earpiece. Ideally I would like something that you can plug into the cradle and go to save all the fannying around taking out/puting in SIM cards.

A car communication installer said that the BMWs are only setup to take Vodaphone SIM cards.

Any idea if I can go the just insert SIM card route as per the newer BMWs (X5s?).

Lastly if it is possible, who does it(I am in the UK)?

Any assistance much appreciated

Pip

Pip,

If you still want to use the comms pack stuff then you'll be limited to what BMW supplied... My understanding is that each phone BMW issued as standard equipment has special firmware so non BMW variants won't work.

I have an early nokia cordless phone which takes standard sims but is locked to vodaphone also. The later Motorola V50 flip allows Orange sims to be used, I just missed one on ebay last week :grrrrr:

To swap to a new phone there are four pieces that are required: phone, armrest module and two additional controller boxes. (not sure if the two controller boxes are phone or just manufacturer specific). If you get all the bits it should be a simple plug 'n' play exercise...

There is of course the expensive (circa £400-500) bluetooth module for the comms pack, which integrates fully with the comms pack.

-Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,

Thankyou very much for that. I shall speak to the theiving gits at BMW and see how much they are going to rob me for either one of those solutions.

You would have thought that the monopolies commision would have spoken to BMW about their restrictive practices :rolleyes: .

Pip

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Pip...as you are in the UK...check with Connects2 (www.connects2.com) They have gizmos that will allow you to use a Sony Ericsson or Nokia phone via the car's audio system and utilize steering wheel controls and have access to phonebook, dialled calles received calls, etc that will be displayed on the dash (OBD display).

PS our thoughts and prayers are with you after the cowardly acts in London today.

:cheers:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou XrarMD although I am well out of it at the moment. Saying that nobody is untouched by terrorism. You are not chosen by sex nor religion nor political beliefs only by geography and chance.

To lighter things. I spoke to BMW regarding a retrospective Bluetooth fit which will utilise the existing steering wheel controls etcetera and they said that they have nothing approved that they can fit :rolleyes: . I shall speak to them again regarding an updated phone fit although this is not the best solution and then try www.connects2.com .

Pip

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why not go with BMW Bluetooth?<br>

The upgrade will give you the same integration you have now, but with a much broader choice of phones. What model phone is in you car now? BMW may tell you they don't have a BT upgrade, but www.bimmernav.com sells plug and play conversion kits for the earlier model years.<br>
I have a MY '00 that had the CPT-8000 Motorola in it. Easy upgrade to Bluetooth. <Br><br>
No need for the earpiece - it still works through the stereo and the steering wheel controls work as well:)<br><br>
The current phone box is replaced with a new BT one. BMW sells adapter cradles for various phones that give you antenna connection and power when in the car as an option. With BT, it also connects to the car system with the phone in your pocket. If you don't use the cradle, it becomes a small catch tray. <br><br>

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to the message board. I have a really stupid question. I just got my car (MY00). I don't know much about it yet, still learning. How do I find out which phone does it have and what BT kit do I need to make it work with other phones?

Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Check here for the kit for your car:<br>
http://bimmernav.com/page3.html<br><br>
I think you have a 7000/8000 (I have a MY 2000 also). Is the phone a Timeport? <br>
There is a good messageboard about BT upgrade here where you can get all the info you need<br>
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/bluetooth<Br><br>
It'll cost you about $650 US plus your new phone.<br><Br>
Another bonus is the BT module comes with voice recognition if you don't already have it. It controls both the Nav and the phone.<br><Br>
Welcome! This is the right place to find out just about anything you want to know about your beast. :M5thumbs: <Br><br>

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thankyou both Steve and Chrisj. I have tried a couple of different BMW dealers and both cam eup with the same answer ie there is NO retro upgrade to Bluetooth.

V50 was indeed one of the last alternatives to Bluetooth but this is now the end of the line. Well done whoever got the last one fitted ( :crying2: ) .

I will now try the connect2 or posts on Bimmerboard but am worried that as these appear to be US organisations it may not be compatible with UK specified cars.

Does anyone have any telephone numbers for these organisations so that I can check out my fears with one of their techies?

Pip

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't worry about bimmernav.com, but can't comment on others. <br>What you get from bimmernav is the BT eject box (a BMW part), the BT radio Antenna (BMW part), and some conversion cables to adapt our "unsupported" '00 models to BT (what BMW doesn't supply). <br>
I dont believe you would have a problem with a Euro-spec car, but am not 100% certain<br><br>
The bimmerboard.com BT forum is a great place to ask your questions. Martin, the buy who owns bimmernav.com, is a frequent reader of posts there, and MANY people there have used his solutions. <br>I would suggest posting your questions/concerns there - I think you will find just what you need.<br><br>
cheers cherrsagai

1 - 10 of 10 Posts