BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

BMW Performance Brake System - General Information Thread

118K views 288 replies 68 participants last post by  rpg 
#1 · (Edited)
In a thread discussing alternatives to the household BBK names such as Brembo and Stoptech, the BMW Performance Brake System came up as a viable choice with good results. It isn't quite a plug-n-play kit, but still very good for the money. The item number is 34110444738 and as now now I'm seeing it for $1050 at Tischer, $1000 at TurnerMotorsports, and $944 at ECS Tuning (out of stock).

In an effort to not derail the other thread (which is pretty much supposed to list alternatives and experiences), I think that a separate thread is a good idea.

While I am aware that brackets need to be fabricated in order to fit the system, another question that I have is regarding the parts of the kit. What other rotors can be used? What about pads? How would one go about searching for rotors and pads to suit this particular system? Search the aftermarket suppliers as if I had an E90?

Let the info drop! Pros? Cons? Warnings? ALL!

#2 ·
Derek just installed these on his M5 yesterday and was taking them for a spin at the Ring today. He did the installation at Frits (Frits already runs these on his car for a year or more), so the bracket was just a reproduction of the bracket used before.

I will make sure to let him know to post here his opinion on the set :)

#4 ·
wow, this thread is golden, as I just came across the kit on ecstuning and was wondering the same thing. Im deff. interested in seeing if anyone has installed the kit in an e39, and what things had to be modified in order for it to work... for $1000, I think one cant go wrong with this as long as their is an improvement to be had from them!

#11 ·
I was told stock rotors are too thick to sit in the caliper with new pads according to one supplier over here in the UK, although if Frits is running them it may suggest otherwise.

I was originally told to either have discs skimmed slightly or modify M3 CSL discs for use, although offset on the latter would have been a major issue

#12 · (Edited)
Bump.

I'll buy these today if we could get the brackets readily available here in the states,...or if Frits is still willing to produce and ship.

#14 ·
No, the performance rotor is significantly thinner and slightly smaller in diameter. Our stock rotors are 345 x 32 mm and the Performance rotors are 338 x 26 mm. If you wanted to run the stock rotors you would have to shave down the brake pads that come with the kit about 3 mm each because as it is our stock rotors are 6 mm thicker. Whether or not this is a good idea I don't know because I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

#15 · (Edited)
I'd hate to let a thread with great potential die. Is Derek or Frits in any of the responses above? I'm not great with screennames.

What I'm gathering is with the BMW Performance calipers offer the advantage of multiple pistons but the disadvantage of a smaller rotor? With custom brackets, we should be able to relocate the friction point anywhere, and we can end up with a larger diameter yet thinner rotor. I'm thinking custom two-piece rotors with aluminum hats.

Comparing this to other aftermarket big brake kits, $1000 does seem cheap, but realize the more expensive kits have the proper rotors and brackets already included. I'm very interested to get more details, though.

#16 ·
I have asked Ard to merge the threads with the info, but I got no reply :(

Where would you source the custom rotors? Which ones would you have in mind? That may raise the price of the kit, killing its convenience (if for only a few bucks more, you get a full E39 BBK like Stoptech or so).

#17 · (Edited)
I've been looking at OEM parts, because they're easy to find

• 2009 2010 Infiniti FX50
  • 2008 2009 Infiniti G37 , with Sport Pkg. & 355mm/14 Inch Rotors
  • 2009 2010 Nissan 370Z , with Sport Pkg. Nismo & 355mm/14 Inch Rotors
These rotors are slightly larger and 33mm thick. Whoever makes an aftermarket two-piece rotor for them can also swap the aluminum hats for those with a BMW-specific center bore and bolt-pattern. Courtesy Nissan sells these calipers for $255.78/ea

I wonder what other OEM brakes are worthy of being an upgrade? Our calipers are crap, but our rotors are massive in comparison to many cars out there. For shizzles and giggles I checked the price on OEM GTR calipers and they are $1033.45//ea haha. Someone here did the C6 Z06 brakes, right? This picture made me laugh

I've since searched for the C6 Z06 rotor dimensions and they are 355 x 32. Nissan's Sport rotors have a slight edge in terms of mass, Z06 calipers are 6-pot vs Nissan's 4-pot.

#18 ·
The stock G37 calipers arent bad. Theyre made by Akebono IIRC. Not bad im sure theyd be an upgrade from the single piston calipers we have but im not sure by how much of an upgrade.

#19 · (Edited)
You're right about the Akebono. 355x33 vs 345x32 is a pretty big difference. The 4-piston caliper will have more pad surface area (I'm assuming). I'd feel funny putting Nissan-branded calipers on my BMW, but I've seen some Sport Package calipers branded as "AKEBONO" and I'd have less of an issue with that.

Then I'd feel bad because the 240SX that's sitting in my garage would want some Akebonos also...

Now Diny is gonna get mad at us for straying off topic :D

#21 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, here is what I have to share(take these as comments and info, NOT data):

1. What materials you need: i) BMW Performance Calipers ii) BMW Performance rotors (dia and thickness are smaller) exact dimensions you guys already know iii) Custom bracket (Frits can supply them)

2. Installation process: *Disclaimer: These are not installation instructions! Only gives a vague idea on what was done. Sorry for lack of clarity. Frits can fill in the details if he has the time.
i) Remove stock rotors/calipers and bolts *DUHH * (I will take a photo of items that were removed)
ii) Cut off a bit of the guard plate (right term to use??)
iii) Some grinding was done on the custom brackets (no picture)
iv) Bolt on BMW Performance BBK
That's it!

3. Field Report:
i) For the first hundred stabs at the brake pedal or so, you will feel as though the brake lines are filled with mostly air and marshmallows, almost no bite for the first 50% of pedal travel. But this is normal, consistent with Frits' experience as well. It will progressively get back to normal. I did heavy braking about 10 times from ~100kmh. This seemed to speed up the back-to-normality process. Guys with anoraks, maybe you could explain why this is so. :tonquesmilie:

ii) Performance:

Bite: Don't expect massive improvement in initial bite compared to stock. This, to me , is a good thing. Don't really want to feel like I've run into a wall when I brake lightly.

Pedal feel and modulation: Very progressive and controllable. Expectedly, difference to stock feel is most noticeable during heavy braking at higher speeds (at the track).

Braking performance and stopping power:
I think most people are turned off by the smaller rotors(than stock) of this brake kit but IMHO improved braking performance is achieved by hastening the conversion of kinetic energy to heat(pad sweep area biggest factor) and improving heat dissipation rate(rotor size, material properties, geometric design). Rotor size is, of course, a big factor. With this kit, rotors are slightly smaller but pad sweep area is vastly increased via those huge calipers. The rotors seem to handle the heat dissipation just fine. Of course, I do not have any measurements to substantiate this.

Was at the 'Ring last weekend with this BBK. No signs of brake fade (max consecutive laps was 2) at all. Overall, gave me MUCH more braking power than stock and they felt predictable. That made me feel confident. Perhaps Tiago and I could do some side-by-side brake tests for comparison :) though he's got better tyres than I do

For me, it was between the Stoptechs and this.
I am quite sure this brake kit won't give you as much stopping power as the stoptechs, but you do save 900 Euros :tonquesmilie: and in my case, 6 weeks of delivery time (I need to go the track NOW!)
Are these 900 Euros worse than the stoptechs? I really can't see that being the case. Great value for money, then.
Ideal for that balanced comfort+casual track driver I was looking for.

Never regretted getting 'em!

P.S Will take and post more pictures soon

#24 ·
Bite: Don't expect massive improvement in initial bite compared to stock. This, to me , is a good thing. Don't really want to feel like I've run into a wall when I brake lightly.
Pads are one of the biggest factors in initial bite, though. I suppose that with stainless lines and a proper bleed, it should be just fine. I don't mind stock feel, I just want less fade and better looks. I currently have the stock setup with the Stoptech pads and fade is considerably reduced to the point that I'll just consider this BBK when it's time to change brakes again.

#30 ·
Here are some answers to most of the questions in this thread (didn't read it all...)

* The Performance disks are to be used on the M5. The difference in disk thickness is mainly in the gap between the 2 faces. The amount of metal used in stock vs Performance disk is almost the same.

* Different pads are available to those that like to have better performance on the track. E.g. Pagid RS29 pads exist for these callipers.

* Yes I have a few brackets to fit the callipers on the M5, but I'm not really willing to ship them to the US anymore. I tried to send a set to member Mfreakin5, and the package got lost. Caused the both of us some trouble, waste of time, and the package is still missing. Furthermore, I don't produce them myself, and it is a bit of a hassle to have the brackets made, and I think the price I have to pay for them is a bit on the high side too. If anyone can copy the brackets, feel free to do so.

#43 ·
Well honestly I think the fault on this belongs with me. I never should have had you ship them any other way but FedEx/DHL/UPS. I should have known that involving not one but TWO government controlled postal services could never end well. Yes it was 1/4 the cost to ship them that way but in the end it was a waste of time.

If I recall the cost to ship the brackets via DHL/FedEx was about 250 Euros. If a few board members, like 3 or 4, want to combine shipping, I can't imagine it would cost more than 350 Euros to ship 4 sets. At that price, the brackets still make sense.

I know its a pain for you to have them made but if we just get 1 set here in the U.S. we can have them copied and you won't have to worry about it anymore. I finally got a response from the U.S. postal service, they actually asked me if I received the package grrrrrrrgrrrrrrrgrrrrrrr even though I've been on the phone with them a dozen times asking where my package is :crying:

#31 ·
Frits. Do you have a copy of a drawing of the brackets or even some measurements?

I'm sure i could get these made up, and then i wouldn't have a problem making up a proper drawing to email to others in the US for example so they could get them produced over there. I'm willing to bet that would be much cheaper and far less hassle than shipping from country to country.

#37 ·
They only come in that Bile colour unfortunately...

#46 ·
Frits doesn't seem to have the file and we can't seem to ship them here without ridiculous risk.

It seems like we US guys will have to make brackets from scratch.