BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Since this thread is dealing with the BMW Performance Brake Kit:

Beyond these, there is a direct replacement super-high performance rotors that are direct fit from RB if you need a full floating rotor for extreme track use. There are plenty of aftermarket pads available since these kits are becoming more widely used and I believe they are identical to the stock calipers on a 135i in size (but not equal in quality)

Any other questions?
Are you saying these PBK calipers and the 135i calipers are of different quality? I was under the impression they are identical it is just that the PBK calipers are painted yellow instead of grey. Only other difference is if you order the PBK kit you get the drilled slotted rotors rather than plain disks? If there are differences in the calipers please elaborate for the benefit of the rest of us (which one is better/different and why) or point me in the direction of a post I missed.

A friend did this on his M3 and he strongly suggested to not do it. He claimed performance was very poor and upgraded to a proper setup.

Regardless, if anyone wants to try it I'm sure I can get some brackets built.
What m3, e36, e46 or e90/92? I ask because e90/92 M3(and the 1M coupe) use a single piston floating caliper design with 360x30 rotors, while the e39 M5 is 345x32 and PBK/135i is 338x26 for comparison. Not sure this kit would be an upgrade for the e90/92 even if PBK is a fixed multipiston caliper. Perhaps there were reasons other than for performance, but BMW did put M3 brakes on the 1M coupe not PBK/135i brakes.

Got any more specifics about the poor performance? It would be helpful as several members have tried this set up on e39s and all have been very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Are you saying these PBK calipers and the 135i calipers are of different quality? I was under the impression they are identical it is just that the PBK calipers are painted yellow instead of grey. Only other difference is if you order the PBK kit you get the drilled slotted rotors rather than plain disks? If there are differences in the calipers please elaborate for the benefit of the rest of us (which one is better/different and why) or point me in the direction of a post I missed.
I believe he was referring to the pads, not the calipers themselves.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A friend did this on his M3 and he strongly suggested to not do it. He claimed performance was very poor and upgraded to a proper setup.
Comparing this on an m3 is like trying to make apple pie with oranges. The brake systems are completely different and unless they did the calculations to see if the system will work, there is no telling what could be the problem. Could be the pads too like you indicated.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I do know that the 135i calipers have inferior pistons when used in high-temp high use environments (such as a track). There are numerous posts on 1addicts about destroyed pistons and seals and some aftermarket retrofits with better pistons.
That being said, I have not yet recieved my PBK in the mail to inspect the pistons for the same qualities. I have been told that these are a higher quality setup however since the 135 calipers are OEM quality and these are the next step up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been doing about 54 laps (of 2.3 miles each) on the Mondello International circuit on Saturday. It was a very wet day and the track was massively slippery.

The braking was at least the same as before (before: stock discs/calipers, EBC yellow stuff uprated pads, after: OEM BMW performance calipers, discs and pads, Goodridge brakelines, ATE blue racing brake fluid), but the brakes ran nowhere near as hot as usual.

/M

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do you have a p/n for the Goodridge brakelines please? I can't find them for the M5.
Goodridge makes the brakelines to order, there's no partnumber on the package I'm afraid. I just called the local reseller, specified E39 M5 and got the correct brakelines. Cost: 100 EUR incl. tax.

/M

·
Registered
504 Posts
Update on brackets:
Calipers will be here next week. Planning on fitment testing Thurs 23 Jan. If all goes well, I can then place an order with an expected completion of 12 Feb (based on quantity). Annodizing will add a week or so onto lead time.

Cost:
5 or more sets are $250 each + annodizing (optional) + shipping
Individual sets are $370 each + annodizing (optional) + shipping

As you can see it is advantageous for us to do a group buy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Guys I think I mentioned this briefly before. I spoke to tischer and another source that ECS put me in touch with about getting a group buy discount. Both of them said they would need 10 people minimum for a group buy. I have yet to get specifics from either source as to what kind of price discount we are talking about though. Tischer did say that it would not be at the earlier price as BMW raised the cost so Tischer would be selling it below cost if they did it at the old price.

I just wanted to mention it again to see if we have anywhere near that number, although I am guessing having a price would probably be helpful. I will try and touch base with Tischer again, but if anyone else wants to take the lead they are more than welcome to do so as grad school takes up most of my time. I am happy to pass along the contact info I have. I don't have any special relationships or any experience with this I just made some phone calls.

I am also not familiar with the rules/customs for something like this. Do I need to start and new thread in a different forum to gauge interest?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi
Just received my bmw pbk (looks really nice) and now just need the brackets. Anyone willing to pm me the specs so I can get a set machined ?

Cheers

Gervase

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks, I'm following.
It's going to get expensive for us in europe with shipping and possible import tax, handling fee etc
I should have figures for getting them manufactured here in Ireland in the next day or two, hopefully. There will be a batch run off here anyway, as there's a good few waiting on these locally.

/M

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks.

Marlow, have you had another opportunity to give the brakes a good go ?
I've driven the car most of the days since the brakes went in. No issues whatsover, similar or better than my previous setup (OEM discs + yellow stuff) but without the issue of fading/over heating) and no negative side effects. Haven't really done any harsh braking yet, though. I did about 200 km on the trackday in the wet (approx 125 miles) without any heat issues whatsoever.

/M

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have been doing some research into the bmw pbk, after the horse has bolted or course :D
Found an interesting post from a bmw performance brake user regarding their, it would seem.. extensive experience with the set up. dave p
Best brake setup?? - Page 2 - Z3MCoupe.com Forums
However, when you start exploring the higher limits of the BMW BBK there are several failings that become obvious. Firstly, it is next to impossible to get aftermarket pads for that caliper - because it's a BMW-specific caliper and not a standard Brembo shape

Because the kit is available on the E90/92 and 1-series as an upgrade option, the issue with aftermarket improved pads has already been solved. They are available. I think there's also Mintex pads available.

I would NOT recommend the BMW BBK for someone with a 335i or 335d, as there are too many disadvantages going to the BBK compared with the regular OEM setup - the main problem is the discs are much smaller and thinner and can't absorb anywhere near the amount of heat that the OEM discs can.

I'm not sure on the disc size of the 335i or 335d, but the BMW PBK has about the same disc size as the regular E39 M5 discs, is slightly thinner, but the discs itself are actually thicker. It's the vented section that has been made smaller. That and the fact, that they are grooved/slotted, it's a vast improvement on the OEM E39 M5 discs.

A 335i/d owner would be better off keeping the OEM calipers and discs and instead change the pads to something more suitable for fast road, uprate the brake fluid to at least a DOT 4.1 level, and upgrade the OEM rubber brake hoses to stainless steel items.

Again, this does not apply to the E39 M5, however changing to better brake fluid and braided brakelines is highly recommended.

All of the above has been discussed in this thread already, more or less.

/M

161 - 180 of 288 Posts