BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
261 - 280 of 289 Posts
Any update? I was wondering if the smaller rotor is sill used...

Mine are still going well. Did not get a bigger rotor on there yet because there is still plenty of meat left on the originals. Still on the stock pads too. Once the calipers weather a little they look more gold than yellow.

Today I had the font wheels off, and I noticed that the Performance brake discs were not perfectly centered around the hub. When installing I modified the wheel bearing by removing the 3 centering taps vs to the other option of drilling the new brake disc. I re-centered the disc with the wheel bolts and re-tightened the singe allen screw that is holding the disk to the wheel bearing. There is some space for the brake disc to move, I will check again soon if it has moved or was this another BMW workshop brilliant installation.

It is hard to see in the pictures, but the brake disc is not in the middle.

I bought a few hub centric rings, when they arrive I will see if I could modify them to hold the brake disc in the center. If that is not possible, I might take the discs off, drill holes for the original wheel bearing centering taps and then re-install the taps to the bearings.
So what is the disk size?

Which specific PBK is this?? The rear calipers look markedly different that the 135I "equivalents", much better. What brackets are you using (F&R); are they available?? What is the rotor diameter and thickness (they look like the 338 mm x 26 mm)??

Fronts are BMW PBK and brackets as per threads on the forum.
Rear set, fully refurbished Porsche boxster rear calipers with link lines swapped. The brackets are modified M3 brackets (designed for this set up but with an M3 in mind) whilst using OE discs.
With stainless lines it's just a massive improvement

Fronts are BMW PBK and brackets as per threads on the forum.
Rear set, fully refurbished Porsche boxster rear calipers with link lines swapped. The brackets are modified M3 brackets (designed for this set up but with an M3 in mind) whilst using OE discs.
With stainless lines it's just a massive improvement
Any more pictures of the install of the rears? What does "with link lines swapped" mean? (excuse my ignorance)

No pics I'm afraid but it's relatively straight forward.
The porsche brembo caliper has staggered size pistons so that there is even wear across the pad surface and is mounted ahead of the axle.
As the M5 caliper is mounted rear of the axle on our cars the staggered pistons would be then the wrong way round. So the bleed nipples and pipe that transfers fluid from one half to the other half need to be swapped so that the leading piston size on the disc is correct.

Marlow, do you still have contact details for making brackets?

Paul.
Or the spec drawings/CAD designs....I'm pretty sure any good machine shop could whip these out, provided we have the correct dimensions. I have a set of 135 calipers collecting dust at the moment. I'm considering figuring out the dimensions myself and having a shop do them for me, if someone on the Board doesn't step up....<shrug>

PBK Bracket Update

Or the spec drawings/CAD designs....I'm pretty sure any good machine shop could whip these out, provided we have the correct dimensions. I have a set of 135 calipers collecting dust at the moment. I'm considering figuring out the dimensions myself and having a shop do them for me, if someone on the Board doesn't step up....<shrug>
Couple things...
A. I have a set of the original front brackets (finally found them among my assortment of spare parts).
B. I sent them in July/August to M5Board member Tradin1 so he could scan them and make a CAD file. He did so, and sent my brackets back to me.
C. It was my guess that Tradin1's company RK Autowerks was going to make them available. Have not seen any notices that they are as yet.
D. In the Group Buy sub-forum of E39 M5 forum, is a thread that has a lot of this info in it, including Tradin1's willingness to manufacture these if he could get a CAD file. He now has one. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...rformance-brake-kit-brackets.html#post6774514

This is not to call him out or anything, just to let you know of at least one possible source for getting them made. Contact him and see what he says. Perhaps he decided against it. At least he has the CAD file which he may be willing to share.

Note: Even if you have the CAD file, finding a machine shop willing to make them maybe hard due to potential liability issues should these fail in operation. That's what I ran into this summer.

Good luck.
</shrug>

I have a set of these brackets if anyone is interested, never used before, PM if you want to know more

I am unable to PM, but am interested in the brackets if you happen to still have them.
If he doesn’t reply I have 1 set of the original brackets still available.

If there was enough interest I could see about having new ones made. I work daily with a good machine shop that wouldn’t charge outrageous prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he doesn’t reply I have 1 set of the original brackets still available.

If there was enough interest I could see about having new ones made. I work daily with a good machine shop that wouldn’t charge outrageous prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The brackets are for using the 135i brake calipers, correct? If so I am very interested.

261 - 280 of 289 Posts