BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does anyone know if normal M5 braided lines work with this kit (ie. Goodrich ones). I figure while I'm in there might as well swap out the 124k mile ones with new ones...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does anyone know if normal M5 braided lines work with this kit (ie. Goodrich ones). I figure while I'm in there might as well swap out the 124k mile ones with new ones...
Yep. There are no differences there. I've replaced my OEM brakelines with Goodridge braided ones, when I stuck the Performance Brakes in.

/M

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think it should be closer to 60-70# (20+20+10+10+5 (rotor, caliper, pads)) but we'll see.

BMW OEM Part 34110444738 - Retrofit kit, Sport brakes, Genuine OEM Parts available from DDM

Turner lists it at 82#...
I picked up a slightly used set off a 135i and it was over 80lbs shipped (rotors, calipers, pads). Incidentally if anyone who just ordered a kit is interested in swapping from the drilled/slotted rotors of PP kit to the solid 135i rotors let me know. I am guessing everyone will want the drilled and slotted versions, but you never know. Here is a pic of the rotor and calipers. You can see they are in almost new condition. I can take some more pics of the rotors if anyone is actually interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does anyone know if the parts I highlighted in red can be removed?

Also, on a side note, BMW is coming out with an M performance brake kit for the 2012 3 series, it will be offered in three colors (red, gold and "I think" blue"). Makes me wonder if that kit will fit our cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes they can be removed I believe they are held on by two screws each. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. But I am not sure of their purpose so I am not sure if it is a good idea or not.

Re: 2012 3series do you know if they are going to be multi-piston fixed calipers or large single piston floating calipers?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes they can be removed I believe they are held on by two screws each. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. But I am not sure of their purpose so I am not sure if it is a good idea or not.

Re: 2012 3series do you know if they are going to be multi-piston fixed calipers or large single piston floating calipers?
I don't know, our BMW rep showed me a picture on his phone as a "Sneak peak" didn't have much info on them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does anyone know if the parts I highlighted in red can be removed?
You'd have to take a grinder to the caliper to remove them and why the h*** would you want to do that ?

Also, on a side note, BMW is coming out with an M performance brake kit for the 2012 3 series, it will be offered in three colors (red, gold and "I think" blue"). Makes me wonder if that kit will fit our cars.
That depends entirely on the manufacturer of the calipers, the design, if they have detachable mounting brackets, that can be adapted etc. Colors don't matter at all. If you're after a specific color, you can always repaint the caliper.

/M

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pretty sure there was a post somewhere stalking about removing them and a pic showing them removed, but I can't find it. Anyway if you look at the pics it looks like those ears or whatever they are, are held on by screws. Like I said though I have not idea if it is a good idea.

You can see a little better in the second pic. Its the same caliper just off a 135 so its grey.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
No, they will be yellow, orange and red, and I don't know if they will fit, it will be a fixed 4-piston caliper and 370x30mm rotors on the front, more info here :

F30 M Performance Brakes Detailed. Coming in Red, Orange, Yellow - BMW 3-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST

(I think gold will be the color of the calipers for the ceramic kit on the new M6)

·
Registered
218 Posts
No, they will be yellow, orange and red, and I don't know if they will fit, it will be a fixed 4-piston caliper and 370x30mm rotors on the front, more info here :

F30 M Performance Brakes Detailed. Coming in Red, Orange, Yellow - BMW 3-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST

(I think gold will be the color of the calipers for the ceramic kit on the new M6)
My Bad, yes orange, but they aren't yellow. They are the same gold as the kit mentioned in this thread (I know I saw the pictures of it :) )

·
Registered
232 Posts
IMHO, it is going to be a lot harder to get those to work based on the caliper design and the fixed bracket
Aye. Similar problem as with the rear brake calipers from the current BMW PBK.

/M

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just for looks really. If you look at any other BBK it looks smoother without those things. IMO, it looks more complete if you can remove those pedestal looking things. But hey, if it affects the function of it then not worth it.

You'd have to take a grinder to the caliper to remove them and why the h*** would you want to do that ?

That depends entirely on the manufacturer of the calipers, the design, if they have detachable mounting brackets, that can be adapted etc. Colors don't matter at all. If you're after a specific color, you can always repaint the caliper.

/M
Pretty sure there was a post somewhere stalking about removing them and a pic showing them removed, but I can't find it. Anyway if you look at the pics it looks like those ears or whatever they are, are held on by screws. Like I said though I have not idea if it is a good idea.

You can see a little better in the second pic. Its the same caliper just off a 135 so its grey.

·
Registered
126 Posts
These questions were posted in the bracket group buy thread, but I chose to answer them here as they seemed more relevant here.
WAIT.can't I use the oem euro floating rotor with this caliper? Or do I have to buy one with the new caliper? What is the best place to purchase the 135i calipers, I don't like the yellow.
Purchase 135 calipers
Well if you do not like the yellow the best place to purchase the 135 grey calipers is from a 135 owner who is getting rid of their set up. Keep on eye out on bimmerforums, 1 addicts and bimmerfest maybe even post a wtb ad on one or all of those forums. You could perhaps try ebay, craigslist and/or your local auto salvage yard or maybe a larger place like Bavarian Auto Recycling. Of course you are going to be getting something used so the condition of the calipers may vary.

The other way to purchase the 135 calipers is from a discount BMW dealer like getbmwparts or your fav BMW parts supplier, but just understand it is going to be more expensive to buy the 135 parts separately than buying the PBK kit. Example prices from getbmw parts for two 135 calipers $1,158($579 each) [I am not sure if the bracing spring, guide pins and bleeder valves come already on the caliper or if you have to buy those extra], two 135 plain rotors $271.40($135.70 each) or performance drilled/ slotted rotors $396 ($198each) or ECS who has them for $329, pads would be $164.46 (not sure if that is 2 or 4 at getbmwparts) or $177 from ECS although you can probably find something aftermarket for cheaper or perhaps just a compound you like better. So for a new 135 setup you are looking at $1,429.40 ($1,554 for drilled/slotted rotors) not including pads versus the PBK is $1,348.30 which includes complete calipers, rotors, pads and wear sensors. Depending on your financial situation the cost may or may not be an issue. Perhaps if you shop around you can do better on prices. You probably already know this just don't go to your local BMW dealer unless you have money to burn as the local dealer price will be significantly higher MSRP for the calipers is $724 and many dealer charge more than MSRP for BMW parts.

135 font caliper parts for reference
Front wheel brake-Brake pad sensor BMW 1' E82, 135i (N54)

Floating Rotors
If by oem euro floating rotor you mean the e39 M5 floating rotor then the answer is no it will not work with these brackets. These brackets are designed to hold the caliper in a spot specific to the offset of the 135/PBK rotor. I do not think the m5 rotor shares than offset, but even if they did the caliper would not physically fit over the rotor as the M5 rotor is too thick to fit bwteen the brake pads of the 135/PBK caliper.

The oem 135 rotors are plain rotors (see post 204) and the rotors that come with the PBK kit are drilled and slotted rotors (see post 205). The rotor hats do appear to be attached with rivets or something versus a cast single piece of metal for the rotor (applies to plan and slotted/drilled), but it is not the same design as the M5 floating rotor pin attachment setup. There are aftermarket 2 piece lightweight rotors made by RacingBrake, but they are expensive see post #84.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Keep in mind too that the 135 rotor has to have the locator pin and rotor screw holes drilled. the Hub diameter of the 135 i greater than the e39 so I would recommend having it done by a machine shop to ensure accuracy and not have vibrations and rubbing issues with the caliper.
The 135 uses a different rotor screw than the m5 as well. They have different shoulder lengths.

201 - 220 of 288 Posts