BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a thread discussing alternatives to the household BBK names such as Brembo and Stoptech, the BMW Performance Brake System came up as a viable choice with good results. It isn't quite a plug-n-play kit, but still very good for the money. The item number is 34110444738 and as now now I'm seeing it for $1050 at Tischer, $1000 at TurnerMotorsports, and $944 at ECS Tuning (out of stock).

In an effort to not derail the other thread (which is pretty much supposed to list alternatives and experiences), I think that a separate thread is a good idea.

While I am aware that brackets need to be fabricated in order to fit the system, another question that I have is regarding the parts of the kit. What other rotors can be used? What about pads? How would one go about searching for rotors and pads to suit this particular system? Search the aftermarket suppliers as if I had an E90?

Let the info drop! Pros? Cons? Warnings? ALL!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Derek just installed these on his M5 yesterday and was taking them for a spin at the Ring today. He did the installation at Frits (Frits already runs these on his car for a year or more), so the bracket was just a reproduction of the bracket used before.

I will make sure to let him know to post here his opinion on the set :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
wow, this thread is golden, as I just came across the kit on ecstuning and was wondering the same thing. Im deff. interested in seeing if anyone has installed the kit in an e39, and what things had to be modified in order for it to work... for $1000, I think one cant go wrong with this as long as their is an improvement to be had from them!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I was told stock rotors are too thick to sit in the caliper with new pads according to one supplier over here in the UK, although if Frits is running them it may suggest otherwise.

I was originally told to either have discs skimmed slightly or modify M3 CSL discs for use, although offset on the latter would have been a major issue

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bump.

I'll buy these today if we could get the brackets readily available here in the states,...or if Frits is still willing to produce and ship.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It appears to me that the rotor size pretty close to stock, but with different offset?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
No, the performance rotor is significantly thinner and slightly smaller in diameter. Our stock rotors are 345 x 32 mm and the Performance rotors are 338 x 26 mm. If you wanted to run the stock rotors you would have to shave down the brake pads that come with the kit about 3 mm each because as it is our stock rotors are 6 mm thicker. Whether or not this is a good idea I don't know because I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'd hate to let a thread with great potential die. Is Derek or Frits in any of the responses above? I'm not great with screennames.

What I'm gathering is with the BMW Performance calipers offer the advantage of multiple pistons but the disadvantage of a smaller rotor? With custom brackets, we should be able to relocate the friction point anywhere, and we can end up with a larger diameter yet thinner rotor. I'm thinking custom two-piece rotors with aluminum hats.

Comparing this to other aftermarket big brake kits, $1000 does seem cheap, but realize the more expensive kits have the proper rotors and brackets already included. I'm very interested to get more details, though.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd hate to let a thread with great potential die. Is Derek or Frits in any of the responses above? I'm not great with screennames.

What I'm gathering is with the BMW Performance calipers offer the advantage of multiple pistons but the disadvantage of a smaller rotor? With custom brackets, we should be able to relocate the friction point anywhere, and we can end up with a larger diameter yet thinner rotor. I'm thinking custom two-piece rotors with aluminum hats.

Comparing this to other aftermarket big brake kits, $1000 does seem cheap, but realize the more expensive kits have the proper rotors and brackets already included. I'm very interested to get more details, though.
I have asked Ard to merge the threads with the info, but I got no reply :(

Where would you source the custom rotors? Which ones would you have in mind? That may raise the price of the kit, killing its convenience (if for only a few bucks more, you get a full E39 BBK like Stoptech or so).

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've been looking at OEM parts, because they're easy to find

• 2009 2010 Infiniti FX50
  • 2008 2009 Infiniti G37 , with Sport Pkg. & 355mm/14 Inch Rotors
  • 2009 2010 Nissan 370Z , with Sport Pkg. Nismo & 355mm/14 Inch Rotors
These rotors are slightly larger and 33mm thick. Whoever makes an aftermarket two-piece rotor for them can also swap the aluminum hats for those with a BMW-specific center bore and bolt-pattern. Courtesy Nissan sells these calipers for $255.78/ea

I wonder what other OEM brakes are worthy of being an upgrade? Our calipers are crap, but our rotors are massive in comparison to many cars out there. For shizzles and giggles I checked the price on OEM GTR calipers and they are $1033.45//ea haha. Someone here did the C6 Z06 brakes, right? This picture made me laugh

I've since searched for the C6 Z06 rotor dimensions and they are 355 x 32. Nissan's Sport rotors have a slight edge in terms of mass, Z06 calipers are 6-pot vs Nissan's 4-pot.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The stock G37 calipers arent bad. Theyre made by Akebono IIRC. Not bad im sure theyd be an upgrade from the single piston calipers we have but im not sure by how much of an upgrade.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The stock G37 calipers arent bad. Theyre made by Akebono IIRC. Not bad im sure theyd be an upgrade from the single piston calipers we have but im not sure by how much of an upgrade.
You're right about the Akebono. 355x33 vs 345x32 is a pretty big difference. The 4-piston caliper will have more pad surface area (I'm assuming). I'd feel funny putting Nissan-branded calipers on my BMW, but I've seen some Sport Package calipers branded as "AKEBONO" and I'd have less of an issue with that.

Then I'd feel bad because the 240SX that's sitting in my garage would want some Akebonos also...

Now Diny is gonna get mad at us for straying off topic :D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I emailed them, so they should provide some feedback soon.

I haven't driven Derek's car with the brakes yet, but next time I intercept him for dinner out, I will be sure to steal the key away from him for a while ;)

1 - 20 of 288 Posts