BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I guess I discovered something interesting when watching this BMW M video on youtube and wanted to share it with you. For the first time ever, they open the hood of the M5 one off CSL, and the first thing that took my attention was the massive size of those air intakes and ducts that feed the plenum. I really hope some aftermarket tuner can get inspired by these intakes and and do something similar, do you agree? here is the link of the video: YouTube - 25 Jahre BMW M5 - Vom BMW M1 über den ersten M5 bis zum aktuellen BMW M5 E60

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
CSL Intakes

I'm with you on this. I hope an established tuner looks at this and decides to give it a go! What really frosts my cake is BMW M probably had this better intake system on the shelf and knew that this was the way to go from the beginning of the E-60 M5 production. It's a crying shame (expletive deleted) BMW-M did not produce this as an M Performance product that could be purchased just like they have done with the M3 and 135. Ford and Chevy have had great success and maintained or increased their customer base with improved factory performance parts. After all, there are some of us who cannot afford to purchase a new beast every time there is a model change. We only want to improve what we have. If I could, I would like to improve/maintain the originality of my M with original BMW Motorsport parts. Unfortunately, this is not to be. I know there are some reputable Tuners that have the engineering expertise to take this project on. I also know that it must make good business sense to do as well. I'm with you!!!:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We're in the same boat my friend, I just checked the clearances under my hood and this can be done easily with no problem. I wonder why no one ever thought of increasing the size of these ducts, I'll be there first one to buy it if an aftermarket tuner decides on this one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In reference to the original post:

The only thing is the S85 has a throttle body on each intake runner, and the way the software is tuned and the engine is designed, it's basically two 5-cylinder engines, with a separate intake stream and MAF sensor for each side. When you combine the air intakes, then you'd probably have to do something about the MAF arrangement since all 10 cylinders would now be sharing the air from two MAFs, and that would probably require some kind of software modification to the ECU.

Perhaps they programmed the Ring Taxi (that's what the car in the photo looks like anyways) as a speed density system (no MAFs) for some reason since it is basically just raced and fuel efficiency is of little concern? Who knows? :dunno: It doesn't look like there are MAFs on that engine, but it's not a clear enough photo for me to tell what those couplers are in the middle from each air box.

The intake ducting definitely looks bigger. I wonder if that is a more powerful version which needed more air flow?

EDIT: I guess it's not the Ring Taxi, but must be a higher performance version of the S85. I can't understand German (in the video)! :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
CSL Intakes

Well thanks, we now know it's possible and it maintains the same look and improves performance. It's easy to see when you open the hood where the logical increases in volume of the intake system can be made.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think, I will build the next time a one piece plenum.
One plenum and 2 MAF, I think this is not a big problem.

Our S62 engine has one plenum and 2 MAF sensors.
The MAF sensors meassure the air flow into the plenum.

I think a one piece plenum will be working on the V10.
I ask somebody who knows it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
As far I see the picture... No MAFs on there.... That means that M5 is running ALPHA N tune.
I have heard someone is testing a new tune with ALPHA N on M5 e60.

bigger intake + alpha-n = :eek:oohhh: :goldcup:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Someone should make it and do a groupbuy! Sign me up for the groupbuy :) Dinan does have an enlarged intake for sale but not the plenum.

·
4,395 Posts
In reference to the original post:

The only thing is the S85 has a throttle body on each intake runner, and the way the software is tuned and the engine is designed, it's basically two 5-cylinder engines, with a separate intake stream and MAF sensor for each side. When you combine the air intakes, then you'd probably have to do something about the MAF arrangement since all 10 cylinders would now be sharing the air from two MAFs, and that would probably require some kind of software modification to the ECU.

Perhaps they programmed the Ring Taxi (that's what the car in the photo looks like anyways) as a speed density system (no MAFs) for some reason since it is basically just raced and fuel efficiency is of little concern? Who knows? :dunno: It doesn't look like there are MAFs on that engine, but it's not a clear enough photo for me to tell what those couplers are in the middle from each air box.

The intake ducting definitely looks bigger. I wonder if that is a more powerful version which needed more air flow?

EDIT: I guess it's not the Ring Taxi, but must be a higher performance version of the S85. I can't understand German (in the video)! :(
agreed - if owners are unhappy with sub-10mpg imagine running this car at daily driving speeds

i don't think it's a ring taxi - partially because they crush the taxis and also because it's black/blue under the hood - the car was likely a black chassis and wrapped in white

I think, I will build the next time a one piece plenum.
One plenum and 2 MAF, I think this is not a big problem.

Our S62 engine has one plenum and 2 MAF sensors.
The MAF sensors meassure the air flow into the plenum.

I think a one piece plenum will be working on the V10.
I ask somebody who knows it.
the s62 system may either be less efficient if each maf regulates for 1 bank with shared intake
or
the mafs simply combine their readings for both banks via the single plenum

if not then the E60 probably does it for fuel economy to get as precise a measurement as possible compared to the s62

Someone should make it and do a groupbuy! Sign me up for the groupbuy :) Dinan does have an enlarged intake for sale but not the plenum.
dinan tries to stay as close to stock as possible - also at their prices the benefit would probably be marginal unless you where tracking the car or on the autobahn

that's why i think they did it for the csl - BMW only stroked the motor to 5.5L and are making 550hp so they're probably relying on ram air for some power

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This should be a golden opportunity for RPI or Evopsort to launch this project and make the best air intake system on the market. The only problem should be the Alpha N tune as member Miguex mentioned. I did some research about it and found some knowledgeable information on the M3forums, this is what one guy said:

If you're referring to the performance issues under daily driving conditions, then yes. The problem with a MAF is that you can only get so much air through it. The CSL intake is optimized for balls-to-the-wall driving conditions in which absolute maximum airflow is needed. Deleting the MAF removes a restriction in airflow. Under the 99% of conditions in which you don't need it the most possible air (i.e. if it's not a track car), the MAF helps you by optimizing fuel mixture to the exact atmospheric conditions that prevail.

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts