BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

501 - 513 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I was running M1 15-50 at the advice of Troy over the summer, since it's so hot down here he said it'd be fine. As fall set in the motor started to vibrate more and seemed sluggish. I got the M1 5-50 in a few days ago and she purrs like a kitten again. MPG is up a bit for the same commute.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was running M1 15-50 at the advice of Troy over the summer, since it's so hot down here he said it'd be fine. As fall set in the motor started to vibrate more and seemed sluggish. I got the M1 5-50 in a few days ago and she purrs like a kitten again. MPG is up a bit for the same commute.
You should run an oil analysis to see how M1 5-50 is after. =D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Got the 15-50 bottled up, was going to send it in tomorrow. Maybe it's overkill but I've been sending in a sample after every oil change. I only drive it about ~4k miles a year so it's not very often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone used Liqui Moly 5W-40 Molygen? I’m thinking of switching to this versus the Liqui Moly 10W-60 that I have been using.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I found this BMW oil update on another forum, but the reason I'm putting it up here is now they include a lighter oil for the S85. This was released in August. With all our rod bearing discussions, we talked about thinner oil will or might help on cold starts. I wonder what BMW found out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have seen this. BMW will tell you it is confusing the way it is written. They will also tell you, for a stock S85 V10 engine, recommendations then and now are still 10w60

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have seen this. BMW will tell you it is confusing the way it is written. They will also tell you, for a stock S85 V10 engine, recommendations then and now are still 10w60
BMW will also never own up to the less than stellar rod bearing design. Didn’t they issue a recall on the E46s? But not for the E60.
I’ve seen others here use 5W-40 or 30 by other oil manufacturers but I haven’t seen this one in particular.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
After my track experience I am a believer in 10-60 oil , the last track day, engine got stronger, checked oil filter housing after every event , no flakes , metal or aluminum dust. Nothing on dimple drain plugs even though shifting at 8200 rpm on a 89 degree day.
10-60 will protect against any abuse, I guess lighter oils will work up to , say 7200 rpm and no lugging motor below 3500 rpm; daily driver oil

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If one uses King bearing shells with tight clearances 5w-50 oil will work at 100% engine output and rpm.
But they have much higher load bearing capacity than oem tri metal style bearings

BMW decided to use a thick lead based layer to allow more grit embedment required with long drain intervals when circulating dirty oil, downside is less load capacity

·
Registered
39 Posts
After my track experience I am a believer in 10-60 oil , the last track day, engine got stronger, checked oil filter housing after every event , no flakes , metal or aluminum dust. Nothing on dimple drain plugs even though shifting at 8200 rpm on a 89 degree day.
10-60 will protect against any abuse, I guess lighter oils will work up to , say 7200 rpm and no lugging motor below 3500 rpm; daily driver oil
Then I’m confused. I’ve always run 10w60 but so many here have gone to 0w30 or 5w40. What’s the deal?

I only drive my car from May to Nov here in New England. Never sees temps below 40 degrees F. In those 5-6 months, I may drive 2000 miles max and that’s being very conservative and change oil annually. Never sees the track but I do sometimes, and I mean only sometimes, drive it spiritedly; but only for very short stretches (a few miles or so).

Should i stick with the factory spec 10w60?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Then I’m confused. I’ve always run 10w60 but so many here have gone to 0w30 or 5w40. What’s the deal?

I only drive my car from May to Nov here in New England. Never sees temps below 40 degrees F. In those 5-6 months, I may drive 2000 miles max and that’s being very conservative and change oil annually. Never sees the track but I do sometimes, and I mean only sometimes, drive it spiritedly; but only for very short stretches (a few miles or so).

Should i stick with the factory spec 10w60?
I stick with 10w-60. Based on the belief that no matter what you do, you change your bearings at 50-60k miles. Why change the oil spec that was assigned from the start when no one is 100% sure the reason behind it.

501 - 513 of 513 Posts