BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

481 - 500 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
So since this is 1.5 years since the last reply, have there been any recent breakthroughs on which oil is king?

·
Registered
959 Posts
So since this is 1.5 years since the last reply, have there been any recent breakthroughs on which oil is king?
I continue to have no issues with Castrol 0w40 on oem bearings, given that this place turns into a tundra 6 months out of the year. Plus you can get that oil in 5qt jugs :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
the 0w40 was recommended for people who still have the original bearings since there appears to be an issue with the bearings clearances. This was mainly for people using their cars as daily drivers in cold weather.

The trick is warming the car up before driving at too high an RPM.
(y) Agree with the 2 season approach for those of us in the frozen tundra

·
2,089 Posts
I live about 60 miles from pmalik's tundra and have used TWS for 2 years now. BMW calls TWS good for 0F if memory is right.

But I just switched to M1 5w-50 in search of better MPG. NOT because of temperatures or bearing concerns.

·
Registered
13 Posts
oil choice is based on how you drive your car.

the term "better" is a relative term.
-M1 0W40 can be better than 10w60 and vice versa
-10w60 can be better than M1 0W40 depending on what you use each oil for

the 0w40 was recommended for people who still have the original bearings since there appears to be an issue with the bearings clearances. This was mainly for people using their cars as daily drivers in cold weather.

if you live in California, and your cold starts are is mild weather (above freezing) you can get away with a 5W50 or the 10w60.

The trick is warming the car up before driving at too high an RPM.
I am curious. You say the 0w40 is recommended for those with original bearings. WHO recommends that, from what I have read for a long time, not BMW. I see these "bulletins" people post from time to time from BMW on the S85, they tend to ignore the little red asterisk at the top on the 5w30 that says..not for the S85. If I am wrong, show me something from BMW that says anything about any other oil for the S85, not rumors, other shops etc, from BMW only. To my knowledge they have from day 1 said for this engine. 10w60 only

·
4,345 Posts
I am curious. You say the 0w40 is recommended for those with original bearings. WHO recommends that, from what I have read for a long time, not BMW. I see these "bulletins" people post from time to time from BMW on the S85, they tend to ignore the little red asterisk at the top on the 5w30 that says..not for the S85. If I am wrong, show me something from BMW that says anything about any other oil for the S85, not rumors, other shops etc, from BMW only. To my knowledge they have from day 1 said for this engine. 10w60 only

???

I didn't pass off the 40 weight recommendation as BMW's; the oil topic at the time was focused on the rod bearing failures of S85 & S65 engines (while using the BMW recommended 60 weight).

My post was made to help others use a different approach to digesting online information of oil. To me it seemed someone may have misinterpreted why online information suggested (recommended) a 40-weight oil when BMW recommended (suggested) a 60-weight.

That concept of "recommended" is still the same, "BMW recommends", they do not "Require" the use of TWS or even 60 weight oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
???

I didn't pass off the 40 weight recommendation as BMW's; the oil topic at the time was focused on the rod bearing failures of S85 & S65 engines (while using the BMW recommended 60 weight).

My post was made to help others use a different approach to digesting online information of oil. To me it seemed someone may have misinterpreted why online information suggested (recommended) a 40-weight oil when BMW recommended (suggested) a 60-weight.

That concept of "recommended" is still the same, "BMW recommends", they do not "Require" the use of TWS or even 60 weight oil.
I realize you didn't say BMW says..but I read where people constantly think they know better than what the people that built the thing say, and on this engine I think the main goal for some is to save money, then ***** when the bearings fail. As for the rod bearing issues, I only know the S85...I 101% believe if it were truly a bearing issue, BMW would have corrected the material used somewhere in the 5 year run of this engine. I believe it's the way some people treat/neglect the engine, don't use "recommended" procedures to warm it up properly, this isn't just me, I lived in the Seattle area, where there are a couple of highly rated BMW only shops that say the same thing. And of course, BMW can't require anything, but if the recommend, common sense says to go with it. I mean, they did build it, test it etc...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I live about 60 miles from pmalik's tundra and have used TWS for 2 years now. BMW calls TWS good for 0F if memory is right.

But I just switched to M1 5w-50 in search of better MPG. NOT because of temperatures or bearing concerns.
How do you like the 5-50? I have some ready to go in probably this weekend. Any change in consumption?

·
2,089 Posts
I 101% believe if it were truly a bearing issue, BMW would have corrected the material used somewhere in the 5 year run of this engine. I believe it's the way some people treat/neglect the engine, don't use "recommended" procedures to warm it up properly
Here we go again... Every now and then a new member / owner comes along stating bearings fail due to owner abuse lol... oh well.

How do you like the 5-50? I have some ready to go in probably this weekend. Any change in consumption?
Have only driven for 500 miles. That's 2 full tanks tho lol... No change from what I can tell in MPG. No idea about oil usage yet. I remember on a previous car switching from 20w50 to 10w30 there was a BIG seat of the pants difference. Was expecting to at least notice something with the M5. I went with Mobil1 as it has the lowest HTHS of the 5w50's I looked at. I sent a sample of the used TWS to blackstone to check for viscosity and TBN (NOT to check for bearing wear - useless).Viscosity was in the 50 range so that explains why I didn't notice any change. TBN came back at around 3 with 10k miles on the used oil so that's also good. I don't like wasting money doing short interval oil changes just because everyone else does...

·
Registered
959 Posts
2013 bulletin says either 10w60 or 5w30 Castrol Synthetic; that red asterisk is about the bmw-branded 5w30

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, I'm going to say something then stop kicking a dead horse. Actually talk to/email BMW about this, make sure you get the M division, stop going on what others say, believe what a bulletin says etc. The bulletin is worded tricky, there have been two of them...BMW M division will tell you, the ONLY oil recommended for the S85 is 10w60. Obviously you can use anything you want, but do yourself a favor, talk to the designers/builders, not people that see/believe what they want...your call on this

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, I'm going to say something then stop kicking a dead horse. Actually talk to/email BMW about this, make sure you get the M division, stop going on what others say, believe what a bulletin says etc. The bulletin is worded tricky, there have been two of them...BMW M division will tell you, the ONLY oil recommended for the S85 is 10w60. Obviously you can use anything you want, but do yourself a favor, talk to the designers/builders, not people that see/believe what they want...your call on this...I just realized this says I joined 2 days or so ago, yea, I logged in through face book, but I have been on here since about 2011/2012, have now owned 3 E60 M5's...

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm pretty sure everyone here is going off BMW service TSBs and/or the owners manual. I think -19F is about the coldest it got two years back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would hope, but.....I was aware you can use a couple different grades of oil, as a top off measure only, like 5w30, 10w40 etc...but again, it's a top off only. Many are using these grades as an oil change, that is all I was trying to get at. Yes, the other grades are much less money wise, but it's a no no to BMW. I live in Eastern Washington state, winters get brutal here at times. The M5 hides in the garage for long periods...Just for the record, I have used Red Line 10w60 for years in 3 different E60's, Red Line in the diff and the SMG

·
4,345 Posts
I would hope, but.....I was aware you can use a couple different grades of oil, as a top off measure only, like 5w30, 10w40 etc...but again, it's a top off only. Many are using these grades as an oil change, that is all I was trying to get at. Yes, the other grades are much less money wise, but it's a no no to BMW. I live in Eastern Washington state, winters get brutal here at times. The M5 hides in the garage for long periods...Just for the record, I have used Red Line 10w60 for years in 3 different E60's, Red Line in the diff and the SMG
What is the contribution you are trying to make? That BMW recommends TWS and that people should just use that without concern? BMW doesn't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to recommending lubricants for their own motors. BMW has amended their own "recommendation" multiple times across multiple platforms.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is the contribution you are trying to make? That BMW recommends TWS and that people should just use that without concern? BMW doesn't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to recommending lubricants for their own motors. BMW has amended their own "recommendation" multiple times across multiple platforms.
A couple years ago BMW switched to Shell, from Castrol because of sludge build up in some cases, correct? I understand they change things up from time to time..but all I am saying is, they have stuck to 10w60 for the V10, ok to top off with others but not a full crank case. The only point I am trying to make is BMW never said it was within their recommendation to use 5/30, 10w40, 5w50...that, is all I am saying. Some see the top off thing from BMW and assume they are saying all the ones I mentioned are ok for an oil change

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Didn't BMW also recommend a 10 or 15k mileage oil change interval? No thanks.

·
2,089 Posts

·
4,345 Posts
A couple years ago BMW switched to Shell, from Castrol because of sludge build up in some cases, correct? I understand they change things up from time to time..but all I am saying is, they have stuck to 10w60 for the V10, ok to top off with others but not a full crank case. The only point I am trying to make is BMW never said it was within their recommendation to use 5/30, 10w40, 5w50...that, is all I am saying. Some see the top off thing from BMW and assume they are saying all the ones I mentioned are ok for an oil change
That first statement/question is not accurate.

The rest is too moot to even pick at.

481 - 500 of 513 Posts