BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

461 - 480 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Personally I use Mobile 1 10w-60 or Liqui Molly 10w-60 from Amazon. Both are recommendations from members from this forum. I never done any testing to it therefore I do not know which one is better overall in quality.

·
4,345 Posts
I thought it was supposed to be castrol but seems so far that BMW now recommend Mobil1...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Castrol was replace by Shell ~1yr ago, did you receive BMW bottled M1? or normal M1 10W60?

I think another member in the UK reported BMW topped them up with M1 10W60. I wonder if BMW UK permits M1 as an alternative inside the dealership.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Took me by surprise.... It's normal mobil1 - they left me a 4 litre bottle with the Romans in it for topping up.... Not sure how comfortable I am with the whole thing as its only ever had the castrol in it and my stock of top-up is castrol.

·
4,345 Posts
Took me by surprise.... It's normal mobil1 - they left me a 4 litre bottle with the Romans in it for topping up.... Not sure how comfortable I am with the whole thing as its only ever had the castrol in it and my stock of top-up is castrol.

well the change should have zero impact unless M1 10w60 is crap oil, which is highly doubtful.

The same goes for mixing TWS w/ M1, there will be zero negative effects from mixing the two in any ratio.

The real question you want answered is why is BMW UK allowed/using regular M1 oil instead of the new Silver, Gold & Red (M) lines of oils:

Original BMW Engine Oil

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have some of this coming for my oil change next month, but it could be my last oil change I do in the beast :byebye::dunno:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use the shell 10w60 but I always warm my motor up before going fast don't drive in cold. I seen a drift car get ready to race had same power they warm the oil and water before they start it or engine damage maybe in cold I would change to 0w50

·
Registered
52 Posts
So 0w-40 mobile 1 better then castrol 10w-60?!?! I want to soon do an oil change and if that's the case then I will definetly start using it. Or is it harmful in the long run?

·
4,345 Posts
So 0w-40 mobile 1 better then castrol 10w-60?!?! I want to soon do an oil change and if that's the case then I will definetly start using it. Or is it harmful in the long run?
oil choice is based on how you drive your car.

the term "better" is a relative term.
-M1 0W40 can be better than 10w60 and vice versa
-10w60 can be better than M1 0W40 depending on what you use each oil for

the 0w40 was recommended for people who still have the original bearings since there appears to be an issue with the bearings clearances. This was mainly for people using their cars as daily drivers in cold weather.

if you live in California, and your cold starts are is mild weather (above freezing) you can get away with a 5W50 or the 10w60.

The trick is warming the car up before driving at too high an RPM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
oil choice is based on how you drive your car.

the term "better" is a relative term.
-M1 0W40 can be better than 10w60 and vice versa
-10w60 can be better than M1 0W40 depending on what you use each oil for

the 0w40 was recommended for people who still have the original bearings since there appears to be an issue with the bearings clearances. This was mainly for people using their cars as daily drivers in cold weather.

if you live in California, and your cold starts are is mild weather (above freezing) you can get away with a 5W50 or the 10w60.

The trick is warming the car up before driving at too high an RPM.
Salient advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the oil has higher amount of zink in it like higher mileage oil products there is hard metal contact on these motors and they need more protection. I do agree to 0w oil in cold weather but look for brands that have additives for higher mileage vehicles they add zinc Molly to oil for metal extreme contact in summer stick with 10w60 if you can and always do warm up before going fast just like race car.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Any thoughts on the quality and motivation of oils that BMW had branded and provides for "free" as part of their free maintenance plan here in the states?

My concern is that like so many other suppliers, they may have squeezed Shell for the best price and given up a little quality in it's place. Especially since they have moved towards 10,000 oil change intervals on newer BMWs. The additive packages are so important in these applications.

My comfort is more with a high quality oil, such as Mobile One or some of the smaller producers that are using Group IV/V based synthetics products, such as Redline with robust additive packages

·
Registered
577 Posts
Over on another forum someone mentioned that Mobil changed the formulation of M1 0w-40 and it is no longer BMW LL-01 approved/certified. Supposedly the oil acts thinner than its weight classification.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, in your opinion do you think the RPI like air scoops you have on the M5 are a worthwhile item in giving more horsepower at lower speeds or just higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Yes but they do have 5w-50, doesn't seem to be much off the viscosity. Better on cold start, lose a little on hot temp..

Yeah.. That would probably work well - depending on how the "50" responds at high RPMs and operating temperatures. I've seen a number of M5 and M3 owners who have stated they use 5W50.

My personal opinion is that the type doesn't matter as much, so long as it is synthetic and changed frequently.ie, you don't need LL-01 rated oil if you're changing it every 5,000 - 8,000 miles. The LL-01 rating is to tell you that it can stay in there for 15,000 miles (hah!).

461 - 480 of 513 Posts