BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found this BMW oil update on another forum, but the reason I'm putting it up here is now they include a lighter oil for the S85. This was released in August. With all our rod bearing discussions, we talked about thinner oil will or might help on cold starts. I wonder what BMW found out?

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Some members including myself are already running Mobil1 0w-40 for this reason. There's a big discussion on an M3 forum where they found out the issue with bearings was clearance and oil starvation due to the thickness of the oil

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some members including myself are already running Mobil1 0w-40 for this reason. There's a big discussion on an M3 forum where they found out the issue with bearings was clearance and oil starvation due to the thickness of the oil

That's what I've been running too since I changed my rod bearings. Will change every 5K.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How many miles do you have on your oil? Just wondering if you notice the VANOS is louder or any difference?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 1K. Vanos is quiet as a mouse. I did change all the solenoids about 6 months ago but only because my ISTA said they were NOT OK. Car ran fine though with no codes. So far it runs and sounds just like it did with the TWS. Oil temp runs the same too. This is the first hint from BMW that maybe thinner is better. I guess they have been reading all our forums.;)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Well I found this BMW oil update on another forum, but the reason I'm putting it up here is now they include a lighter oil for the S85. This was released in August. With all our rod bearing discussions, we talked about thinner oil will or might help on cold starts. I wonder what BMW found out?
Thanks Capt.,

I just changed my oil using the TWS 2 weeks ago but was contemplating moving to a lighter oil for the cooler seasons. This is perfect. Have you noticed any difference in consumption with the lighter oil?

Best Regards,
-mk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I haven't had in there long enough to tell yet. I ran Rotella for 1K as break in oil. Now M1. My car however doesn't seem to burn it. With the TWS, the oil level has always stayed the same during the entire run on the oil. I'd keep doing updates and the level never changes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good info! Surprising BMW saying that information. My 06 has 60k now and im sure some damage has already been done to the bearings but hopefully this will slow it down. Mine also doesn't burn any oil. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
No I haven't had in there long enough to tell yet. I ran Rotella for 1K as break in oil. Now M1. My car however doesn't seem to burn it. With the TWS, the oil level has always stayed the same during the entire run on the oil. I'd keep doing updates and the level never changes.
Ok, thanks.

I consume about 1 litre every 1500-2000 miles. I'm curious about consumption with the thinner oil. I will change the oil again at the 4000 mile mark to the lighter selection and keep an accurate log of consumption.

Cheers-mk

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
i have always thought about this... everyone always swears by tws 10/60 oil and i've always wanted to use a thinner oil especially for the colder months. i may be doing the switch next oil change. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So what is the oil we should be running ? From 10w60 to 5w30 is a big jump. Shouldn't BMW be liable for specifying the wrong weight of oil? I think they are leaving the 10w60 on this list so they won't admit they screwed up. BTW I think oil consumption is these cars is largely affected by the way the car is driven, higher RPMs burn more oil.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point. Could you imagine the fall out if they took TWS off the list. Funny I found the Castrol spec sheet on this Professional OE 5w30 and it says not for use in BMW gasoline engines outside the European Union. Oh well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Unless you track your car... 60 weight oil is overkill and starving your bearings as most have found out. Running lighter oil like 0w-40 is the only work around at the moment. I'll see if I can dig up the post on the M3 forum, its a great read. Many engine builders on there from NASCAR to professional racing giving input.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Dang it! Saw this after I got home from work today. I ran the part number for the other recommended oil "Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W30 Synthetic Engine Oil" which is exactly the same oil we put in our diesels at work.

Gonna do some more research Monday when I get into work. Just saw the info on BMW USA's site.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx

We need the oil experts to chime in now! They mentioned on the site that the SAE recommendation depends on the climate your drive your car mostly in.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It makes sense. The NASCAR engine builder over on the M3 forum has run the TWS through their 250k oil analyzer and the additive package was between Shell Rotella and Mobil Delvac. Both diesel oil. That's why I had used Rotella for break in.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I wonder how would the Castrol Professional OE 5W-30 hold up at 8K+ rpms?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wonder how would the Castrol Professional OE 5W-30 hold up at 8K+ rpms?
Apparently that oil has a high level of something.... I'll double check that forum post but it will burn up your cats FAST. The engine builders didn't recommend that particular oil.

1 - 20 of 505 Posts