BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, Since it was absolutely gorgeous here in Jersey (60 degrees F. ) I was tinkering with the hibernating beast, parked within the garage. During the winter season, I drive a 2006 model Toyota Sequoia Limited. For this reason, I am very aware of the "looks" and "image quality" of the Toyota NAV screen. it is very crisp in appearance and the screen is very bright, even on a super sunny day, like today. I took notice of the BMW NAV screen today and its quite the opposite of the Toyota NAV screen. The BMW NAV screen and image within the screen is very dull almost out of focus compared to the Toyota screen image. Also, the brightness of the BMW screen is very dim when compared to the Toyota NAV screen brightness strength. I played with the BMW adjustment controls, which are the regular brightness control in the setting menu, and also the brightness adjustment within the hidden menu. I maxxed out both brightness controls and it barely increased the brightness of the screen. On a bright sunny day like today, you have a hard time viewing the NAV screen when the sun's rays are hitting the dashboard and NAV screen area. So my point and question is, is my described situation a common "flaw" with the E39 M5 navigation screen ? My model yr is 2003.
I dont know of any other way to make the screen more bright, than what I've already done. Anyone...... ? ? ?
TIA. :sad1:

·
Registered
789 Posts
But at least your screen is high resolution and the Toyota is not. With the upgaded NAV .29 or .30 it is that much better. I know I had both. I have put DVD playback on both and the BMW screen is high definition than the Toyota screen. The 08 Toyota and Lexus have been updated for high resolution. Perhaps 07's in the Lexus lineup.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
highest NAV software that exists at this point in time....

Whats the highest number that exists? I currently have V30 installed in my NAV system. Is it version 30 or is there a higher version? I ask this because i want to try doing a upgrade higher than V30 to see if there will be any changes in my NAV screen brightness, as the current screen image is not that vivid or clear. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have no issue with brightness with the v28 software.

Now, I also have a 2004 Lexus RX330 and I find the nav better in every way than the BMW one. It is probably the same nav as in the Toyota. It is so intuitive and therefore real easy to use and it is touch screen.

Robert, you may have a problem with the actual display unit?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Whats the highest number that exists? I currently have V30 installed in my NAV system. Is it version 30 or is there a higher version? I ask this because i want to try doing a upgrade higher than V30 to see if there will be any changes in my NAV screen brightness, as the current screen image is not that vivid or clear. Thank you.
I think 31 might be out, but it doesn't matter. Simply downgrade yourself to 29 then re-upgrade to 30...

d-

·
13,589 Posts
japanese cars have better nav equipment. my '01 pathfinder has a much better navigation unit than the bmw or audi... plus it was touch screen, and provided birds eye view, and much more ways to input address/destination etc.
They do, and they dont. Sure its easier to use the touch screen....but not in a car with suspension (unless you live in a place where the roads are billiard table smooth), especially if you've got coilovers. The nissan units do not calculate ETA on the fly, and also cannot be used to their fullest extent while moving. Toyota is the same way. If you've got a fully updated MKIV, I'd put it against any factory nav system out there on the market today. Im sorry if you havent totally figured out the BMW nav system...but its also sorta unfair to compare a CD based unit to a DVD based unit.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
They do, and they dont. Sure its easier to use the touch screen....but not in a car with suspension (unless you live in a place where the roads are billiard table smooth), especially if you've got coilovers. The nissan units do not calculate ETA on the fly, and also cannot be used to their fullest extent while moving. Toyota is the same way. If you've got a fully updated MKIV, I'd put it against any factory nav system out there on the market today. Im sorry if you havent totally figured out the BMW nav system...but its also sorta unfair to compare a CD based unit to a DVD based unit.
E55AMG2, please tell me more. I have the V.28 software on my MKIV and my wife has the 2004 Lexus software in her RX330.

I feel stupid in my M5 using nav (and she totally agrees :dunno:) but when I travel with her in the Lexus, I shine using her nav. What gives?

·
Registered
53 Posts
HUH

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Really only ease of user "touch screen interface". I think Lexus is far more intuitive and easy to use.
My 2 cents on "Ease of Use" is this:

1. The labels in the BMW suck. Hence the reason for people hacking in and changing it. A perfect example is the KrisL (or DougB :)) modified firmware. The choices are actually quite intuitive but the labels stink.
2. You need to use to learn it.

d-

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here is my joke of the year. Why are we comparing a BMW to a Toyota. Apples and oranges! Its like that commercial on how the Hyundai Sonota is better than German Car out there. More power than a BMW 7 series, More luxury than a Mercedes S class and more chicks than a ferarri. Yeah yeah I am sure that Hyundai's are much better. Still not sold on it so I'll stick with the BMW.

Ok back to topic The DVD based MK IV is a great unit. Def fast and fairly easy to use. I know some cars have the touch screen and I wouldn't mind that myself. But overall I think the BMW has a damn good system. I have the touch screen BMW nav on my bimmer motorcyle and thats pretty kick ***. Until then we are stuck with non touch in the car and I drive on the new model. Not sure what is worse.

·
Registered
657 Posts
E55AMG2, please tell me more. I have the V.28 software on my MKIV and my wife has the 2004 Lexus software in her RX330.

I feel stupid in my M5 using nav (and she totally agrees :dunno:) but when I travel with her in the Lexus, I shine using her nav. What gives?

-You are shinning because you are paying attention to your wife and NOT the Nav :) Put her in an X5 loaded and you'll be shinning to both!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts