BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all.

I was hoping someone would have a contact address and/or name for BMW NA.

at some point during my extneded four day service visit, someone decided to "liberate" some cash i had stashed in the center console roll up tray.

This, in itself, normally would not be cause to escalate such matters, but after waiting two days for the courtesy of a callback from the service manager, i've had enough and will write a letter to BMW NA documenting this particular experience if they remain silent for another day or two.

After leaving a message last week for the service manager, and requesting through my SA to speak with him, i feel as though i should at least express my feelings on their treatment with the mother ship.

We certainly pay a premium for service at the dealership, and i certainly have the right to take my business elsewhere, but as livid as i may be at the outright theft, this "customer service" from SF BMW is just as atrocious and deserves some special recognition.

i don't mean to start another thread about bad dealer practices (heck, i've caught two different BMW shops in the bay area joy riding in my car), but just simply could use a contact in Jersey(?) to which to address my letter.

thanks.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Re: BMW NA contact? re: SF BMW and theives

Sorry, but I've had nothing but good experiences with BMW SF and I've been going there for more than 10 years, through several different cars. Maybe I'm just a better bargainer than most, but I even got my '01 M5 at list and recently got a new M3 for something less than MSRP.

Anyway as for your troubles, it certainly wasn't right that cash was taken out of your console but you are always warned not to leave valuables in the car and leaving a wad of cash there is just asking for trouble. I'm sure you're on the up and up, but think of it from the dealer's point of view if even 1 out of every 10 customers claimed they lost $100+ cash from the car every visit, and the dealer felt they had to "reimburse" each one, they'd be out of business in no time. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to pay every customer who claims he left cash in the car and lost it, and in your case you say they're cutting you a check!

As for the delay in returning your car to you, absent any other facts it sounds inexcusable. If all the parts were there and no unexpected service needs were revealed by the inspection there is no way it should take them 4 days to complete an Inspection II. Also, the service manager isn't doing his/her job if they aren't returning your calls promptly. That I agree with. But are we getting the whole story on the service? I don't understand how they could need to keep your car 4 days for a simple Inspection II. What, if anything else, had to be done?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: BMW NA contact? re: SF BMW

i typed up a long response to yours, and somehow lost it when the trackpad (and i) accidentally refreshed the screen. so, i'll re-write it being a bit more terse.

I didn't mean to suggest in my original post that inspection II took four days.
This was not exactly relevant, so i have edited the original post. (i will append the story of that to the bottom)

I should have merely stated that something was removed/stolen from my car during its service visit, and i'm a bit upset with the (lack of) direct response by the management.

it's not a question of the money. it was far less than $100, and i certainly understand not only your point about the potential liability the shop faces, but also the reasoning behind the ubiquitous disclaimer about valuables left in vehicle. Fair warning.

to that end, i have never experienced any trouble like this before and don't feel as though one needs to clear out one's car of everything valuable before taking it into service. lesson learned.

for certain reasons, i had to go back to the shop the next day after discovering the missing loot. I had left a message with the manager expressing my concern over the events, and let him know i was going to be back in the shop the next day. I did not recieve a call back, nor did the manager make any effort to meet up with me.

this is upsetting. not the four days of service. not the missing cash.
but the fact that we do pay premium rates for the "Service experience" and the one time i would expect them to step up and show some concern, they are absent. at no point have i asked to be reimbursed, although my SA mentioned "of course we will cut you check for the amount". All i'm looking for is a five minute conversation with the service manager. over and done.

-----------

as for the four day visit - pretty much the same as everyone else here has experienced at one point. and while there certainly are some potential hot spots with this, by itself it's something i would take in stride.

with that said, of course they found something to fix.

i had asked them to check/fix two items. the third problem they discovered during the inspection.

day one - inspection and fix of discovered problem.

day two - thirty minutes before i am to pick up the car at the end of day, i receive a call notifying me that the parts they had ordered are incorrect, and it will be another day. as i had mentioned, i called twice to confirm parts (for fix 1) previous to my appointment. why they did not realize until this point, i do not know.

day three - half way through the day, i receive another call stating that fix two needs parts. this was something i had checked not 6 months ago, out of pocket. it was returned by the same dealer and they said they had addressed the issue. now, not only does the same problem exist (it never really went away) but the overall expense has been increased, as well as a duplication of effort and charges to "fix" the problem. to be fair, the SA did try to make amends by discounting the total on this, although there was plenty of meat left on that bone. perhaps you would offer a lesson or two in negotiating?

day four - fixes 1 and 2 are completed in four hours.

i know, boo hoo, cry me a river.
the missing money was just the final bit to take me from inconvenienced and tolerant, to livid and short.

this type of situation is not unique by any means. nor do i mean to suggest that SF BMW are a bunch of thieves...probably just an isolated incident that is still sitting a little too close to home right now.

as with most things, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: BMW NA contact? re: SF BMW

I'd call customer relations at 1-800-831-1117 and ask them for the name and address of the head of customer relations as well as your regional service rep. Write a letter to the head of customer relations and CC the others including the service manager at BMW SF.

I don't live in the bay area any more but I had terrible service experiences there. It got to the point where I dreaded bringing my cars in for routine service. To summarize my experience:

- I've had 2 different BMWs dammaged there - one from a lift and another a big scratch on the dash
- Once picked up my tan leather interior 328 with significnat and obvious black grease stains
- They once removed the antenna from my M Coupe and lost it so they "replaced" it with one from a Z3 which didn't fit so they just left it on the passenger seat.

On the bright side they're not nearly as bad as the Audi service centers that I've delt with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts