BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Top Gear (UK) the other night, the second fastest lap time ever on their test track was done by a BMW, besting the likes of the Veyron, the Zonda, and all manners of Ferrari.

But what makes it all the more interesting is that the BMW was a motorcycle - a bone stock S1000RR with the traction control turned off. That's a $US 16 000 bike beating a $US 2 700 000 Bugatti.

And this is the first step in altering a car guy myth that has been very true for years - that fast bikes cannot beat fast cars on a road course. Due to certain fortunate technological advancements in the last few years - most notably a big change in motorcycle tires - that view may be changing.

More here. BMW S1000RR second fastest EVER on Top Gear test track - | Motorcycle News | Bike News | Motorbike Videos | MCN Or watch it on the beeb website (proxy needed to view it from outside the UK).

Steve
00 M5
10 S1000RR

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Well... not really a myth if it was true (which was tested on Top Gear as well between a Hayabusa and an Ariel Atom, if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe a Porsche?)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I dont know if it was a myth, but i know it was argued over and over that a bike will never be as fast around a track then a car

Good video though, i love the new S1000RR that bike gives me wood.

·
1,937 Posts
True, but prototype race cars, albeit power limited, are still prototypes. Superbikes are strictly based on homologated road going machinery with modifications closely regulated.

Also Daytona is a pure speed circuit, and bikes are killed by drag (making a bike very slippery generally makes the aerodyamics work against it turning, and race bikes are designed to turn), so the comparison is less valid. Do you have some comparable figures from somewhere like Laguna Seca or Miller Motorsports?

YG

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi,

I dissagree......................Ive had lots of bikes in my lifetime.
If I remember correctly the last Gixer 1000 could do 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 7.5 secs.
And most 900/1000 cc bikes ive had are sub 3 secs to 60...............and 170+

Ive driven a reasonable range of fast cars over the years and nothing comes close to bikes.

Bikes tyres have improved greatly over the years, but pound for MPH..........................if you are feeloing Tom ( I feel the need, the need for speed ) you cant beat a litre sportsbike , not even with a 500 BPH Atom.

Back in 1991 I bought a ZZR1100...................0-60 3 secs...........12,000 red line and 160 would come up rather quickly...................no car could get even close, even a Mclaren F1 road car couldnt keep up. So you are comparing a standard road bike availiable for anyone to buy costing what was in those days ( from Memory ) £4500.00 ......................and F1GTR which was a special bit of kit costing a whopping was £625,000.00.

Now, what i recon could give a bike a run for its money is ...................

Take 1 250 cc Go Kart ( discs up front and on the back. Elongate chasis and throw away the 250 cc engine.
Insert a new 1 litre bike engine.........................then you may, just may have a chance.

If memory serves me right, some Germans did that with a Gixer 1100...........................Ill look for the linky.

Regards

Nat.

·
Registered
841 Posts
your talking about straight line speed in which a bike will always win. on the track the difficulty in putting down power hinders it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i love the new s1000's hope to pick one up.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I would suggest that it would depend on the track. The contact patch of a car, especially a high performance car with large tires, is significantly larger than on a bike, especially if that bike is leaned over and dragging pegs.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I just watched the episode but I didn't see the bike's time. It was beaten by the Atom but it didn't say by how much. The Atom now holds the fastest lap time, btw.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I just watched the episode but I didn't see the bike's time. It was beaten by the Atom but it didn't say by how much. The Atom now holds the fastest lap time, btw.
"we can confirm the BMW superbike was less than a second slower than the mental Ariel Atom V8"

and

"That means a £13,310 bike in completely standard trim is just under a second slower than a 475bhp Ariel and faster than everything else ever put around the track by the famous Top Gear driver The Stig."

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
True, but prototype race cars, albeit power limited, are still prototypes. Superbikes are strictly based on homologated road going machinery with modifications closely regulated.

Also Daytona is a pure speed circuit, and bikes are killed by drag (making a bike very slippery generally makes the aerodyamics work against it turning, and race bikes are designed to turn), so the comparison is less valid. Do you have some comparable figures from somewhere like Laguna Seca or Miller Motorsports?

YG
Superbikes actually achieve a higher top speed (198mph vs 185mph) than the protoypes, and even have a better power to weight ratio. The reasons the prototypes are quicker are;

1.) Cars can significantly out brake bikes
2.) Cars can hold much higher speed through corner entry and apex (bikes superior power to weight takes over on exit, so even though the car is going faster on exit the bike can simply out accelerate it)

The prototype/superbike comparo is the most "fair" comparison based off of power to weight. A superbike will smoke just about every street car or GT class car in acceleration.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The S100RR is def on my buy list in fact when I sold my 998 to buy the M5 I was contemplating not getting the M5 and just buying the S100RR.
I decided to be greedy and have my cake and eat it too. I bought the M5 and hope I can pick up an S1000RR in the future. The E39 M5s were (and still are) getting harder to find and I figured the S1000RR will be available for years to come.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Superbikes actually achieve a higher top speed (198mph vs 185mph) than the protoypes, and even have a better power to weight ratio. The reasons the prototypes are quicker are;

1.) Cars can significantly out brake bikes
2.) Cars can hold much higher speed through corner entry and apex (bikes superior power to weight takes over on exit, so even though the car is going faster on exit the bike can simply out accelerate it)

The prototype/superbike comparo is the most "fair" comparison based off of power to weight. A superbike will smoke just about every street car or GT class car in acceleration.

Cars significantly out brake bikes?

Im not to sure about that one, my slightly modded old brick of a Tl-S with Wave rotors would simply pin my face to the upper fairing, more so than my beast with 355 Brembos....

Actually for an 06 Gixxer its showing 60-0 @ 115ft compared to 117ft for a E39 M5

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Cars significantly out brake bikes?

Im not to sure about that one, my slightly modded old brick of a Tl-S with Wave rotors would simply pin my face to the upper fairing, more so than my beast with 355 Brembos....

Actually for an 06 Gixxer its showing 60-0 @ 115ft compared to 117ft for a E39 M5
He's talking about prototype cars.

You don't have a prototype car.

·
Registered
841 Posts
can they really? i used to stand on it and my 6r would stop on a dime.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts