BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas
How hard are these parts to get hold away from a stealer.
I know a few E34 M5 speeders had them but it appears that not many went for this option or am I wrong ?

Ive always liked the look of these mirrors but have never come across them.

Any ideas ?

Farrell

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
farrell said:
Fellas
I know a few E34 M5 speeders had them but it appears that not many went for this option or am I wrong ?

Any ideas ?

Farrell
A friend has these on his touring and while they do look good, compared to the standard mirrors, you really lose a lot of vision with them (size and shape).

Steve

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hertfordshire1 said:
A friend has these on his touring and while they do look good, compared to the standard mirrors, you really lose a lot of vision with them (size and shape).

Steve
Yes, you're right, but I still want a pair.

Wanted them for yrs.
Its a nonsense purchase & purely cosmetic.
I shovelled thousands ££££££££ in petrol using everyday & now that the car is a twice weekly driver, I have some cash to spend making the old girl look good instead of just throwing petrol tokens at it.

Ive got the car for the duration so what the he*l.

Farrell

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
farrell said:
Fellas

Any ideas ?

Farrell
I've tried a few times at different stealers over the years and always been told they're not available at any price - none in the UK, none in BMW gbmh!

With hindsight I'm glad I didn't get them as they would probably have been nicked the day after being fitted for some M3 lookalike - only to be dumped when they are found not to fit!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm-Five said:
I've tried a few times at different stealers over the years and always been told they're not available at any price - none in the UK, none in BMW gbmh!

With hindsight I'm glad I didn't get them as they would probably have been nicked the day after being fitted for some M3 lookalike - only to be dumped when they are found not to fit!

This aint looking good.
So even the stealership route is a non starter.
Is it really that bad that I cant get a pair no matter what ?

Farrell

·
Registered
868 Posts
Mmm-Five said:

I seem to be the only person that doesn't like them. I don't think they work with the shape of the saloon. They look a bit of an after thought in the simple and understated look of our cars, touring gets away with it.... just. They look fine on the M3 and really set off those peformance vauxhall's complete with 'Novadose' front window sticker.

Best

J

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There's feckin loads of them on ebay.de, maybe a bit risky but I got a set of turbine cover's from there no probs.

Phil.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:

Steve

I see just fine out of mine..

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
NHM5 said:
I see just fine out of mine..

NHM5

Nice motor! I cant make my mind up about the mirrors, having said that they do look good on your car.

Where do you live? It says Nippon, by that can I assume its Japan?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
farrell said:
This aint looking good.
So even the stealership route is a non starter.
Is it really that bad that I cant get a pair no matter what ?
Farrell
-
never trust a 'stealer' ;) but call Tony at ML !!
they all say, you can not have them bcs they are only available for a LHD-car, that's the trick, if you get them and if you have a RHD-car you must change the actual mirrors inside, i.e. the mirror-glass -
they are expensive from BMW but you can order them in the colour of your car or not painted -
I am sure this was dsicussed here before, try the 'search-function' and
NEVER SAY M3-mirrors :sad2: (M3-style-mirrors, perhaps ?????? ),
they are M-technique-aerodynamic-mirrors and were available for the
E34,E36 and E31 with DIFFERENT part numbers -
BMW has NOT extended the license, so they may now be available from other sources, after market-copies had been available before :typing:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M5touring reg said:
-
never trust a 'stealer' ;) but call Tony at ML !!
they all say, you can not have them bcs they are only available for a LHD-car, that's the trick, if you get them and if you have a RHD-car you must change the actual mirrors inside, i.e. the mirror-glass -
they are expensive from BMW but you can order them in the colour of your car or not painted -
I am sure this was dsicussed here before, try the 'search-function' and
NEVER SAY M3-mirrors :sad2: (M3-style-mirrors, perhaps ?????? ),
they are M-technique-aerodynamic-mirrors and were available for the
E34,E36 and E31 with DIFFERENT part numbers -
BMW has NOT extended the license, so they may now be available from other sources, after market-copies had been available before :typing:
Thanks Karl
Can I take it that they are definately available then ?

Im sure these mirrors were available for Rhd cars at some point as some british & japanese rhd cars have them.

Is it just that they are no longer supporting stk for rhd variants then ?

Farrell

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys
My Dealer parts manager Gerald Head from Lind has located a set of M-Technic electric mirrors for the E34 M5 in Germany.

This is the bit where you know you have struck Gold with someone.
Off his own back & with no commitment to Buy, is bringing them over with no obligation to me to make sure they actually are the items reqd & fit etc.

Assuming these are correct, the price for the pair complete is £300 plus Vat.

Its no bargain but I think its a good price for what these are.

Any comments from the Forum ?

Farrell

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think its a good deal.. Mainly cos you don't have to buy!!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
[email protected]
unless they are n.l.a. they are available for LHD-cars only, (please use the 'search function' to read about the issues with a RHD-car, so you are aware of the problems you might have to face !!) -
-
they were available for the E34 from 09/92 and part nos are:
51 16 2 257 507/8 (L/R) > normal version
51 16 2 257 583/4 (L/R) > for cars with seat- and mirror-memory !!!!
-
the normal version should be just below GBP 300 whereas the memory-version just above GBP = HOWEVER + VAT and EACH !!!!!!
i.e. left + right will be appr. GBP 600 + VAT -
-
as they do not sell very well perhaps they'll give you an enthusiast-commission ??? :typing: :hihi:
= nice styling !! but not so good for rear vision !! ??????

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
M5touring reg said:
[email protected]
unless they are n.l.a. they are available for LHD-cars only, (please use the 'search function' to read about the issues with a RHD-car, so you are aware of the problems you might have to face !!) -
-
they were available for the E34 from 09/92 and part nos are:
51 16 2 257 507/8 (L/R) > normal version
51 16 2 257 583/4 (L/R) > for cars with seat- and mirror-memory !!!!
-
the normal version should be just below GBP 300 whereas the memory-version just above GBP = HOWEVER + VAT and EACH !!!!!!
i.e. left + right will be appr. GBP 600 + VAT -
-
as they do not sell very well perhaps they'll give you an enthusiast-commission ??? :typing: :hihi:
= nice styling !! but not so good for rear vision !! ??????
Yes Karl
Read all threads & supplied part nos for lh & rh mirrors without memory to the dealer who checked out the part & availability.
The dealer has offered me a huge discount & has confirmed the price as £300 per pair plus vat @17.5%.

The price is excellent but there is a couple of doubts hence my parts manager taking the risk bringing in the pts himself.

Making the parts work is not an issue. I have access to some excellent Electrical vehicle Engineers & harness makers through work.
It costs £20 in parts worst case from what I can see & maybe another switch.

If this works out & other want a pair of these mirrors Then we can buy these parts & I will get an extra jumper lead made up for them at whatever the pts cost.

Lets see what happens in the next 7 days.

Farrell

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
[email protected]
ok then + I hope it will work out for you !!
-
in case it does not, I might be interested to take them bcs the deal
for GBP 300 + VAT for the pair sounds good -
(not necessarily for my own M5touring but perhaps as a Xmas present to another fellow-enthusiast) -
so please keep me in the loop !
-
cheers !
Karl
-

1 - 20 of 27 Posts