BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen pics of these, but have no understanding of which E34 M5's are fitted with them, which weren't and why.

Anyone have any knowledge or ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
From the impressive BMW M Registry

"What is an E34 M5 "20 Jahre Motorsport" edition?
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of BMW Motorsport, BMW built a limited run of 20 specially-equipped Euro-spec M5s in late 1992. Based on the 3.8-liter sedan, they are all painted Mugello Red (274) and include the following equipment:
-Nurburgring package
-M-Technic rearview mirrors
-Contrasting M lower body panels in Jet Black (668)
-M System II wheels with black-painted "throwing star" centers
-Shadowline trim
-Front door handles embossed with "BMW Motorsport" lettering
-Recaro SR sport seats in special M cloth with Anthracite suede bolsters
-Suede-covered steering wheel, shift knob, shift boot and parking brake lever with red stitching
-Carbon fiber trim on dash and door panels
-Red seatbelts with "BMW Motorsport" lettering
-Plaque on the center console with each car's individual number in the edition of 20"

The ones in your picture are either just something someone has produced, or if real are shockingly rare!! How many identical items on Ebay are there? LOL ;)

The real ones, (I was after some), but I have a feeling you can`t buy them from BMW as handle only, hence my occasional trawl thru internet scrapyards and the local strippers.

The real ones are also said to be a nightmare to fit, as the entire lock mechanism has to be removed from the inside of the door in order to undo and remove the handle.

Then you run into the old classic of "how on earth does the hook on this bar thing go back onto this loop of metal the same way round as it came off? It will go on the wrong way only! D4mn E34 door latch system, #!£$%&*@!!".

All those souls who have swapped an electric door mechanism on an E34 will sigh and nod sagely at this point!!

Ivan.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
AndyE said:
Urgh! Tacky!
Yep.

However, I think the BMW originals may be chrome and look completely different in font and styling than these things.

Ivan.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys ... so it seems that they were fitted to some E34 M5's - the 20th anniversary 20, and the 93 US M5's.

And the 'BMW individual' option is an interesting one too. I wouldn't mind seeing pics of how that looks.

Interesting too the variation in views on whether they would be a tacky option on an M5.

For the exercise, is anyone able to provide either the part numbers for these parts ('BMW Motorsport' and/or 'BMW Individual'), or the chassis number for a car that had either of them fitted at the factory?

Cheers

And thanks again.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
check here:
http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/?theme=1&level=4&question_id_select=149&chapitre_id_select=23&document_id_select=3
-
also, somewhere in this -forum- there is a thread with pictures of the
-extra-ordinary- 'amethyst'-coloured 'Individual' M5touring owned by GeorgK
and driven by 'Marie-Claire' (or vice versa ?), picture-session includes a shot
of the 'motorsport' door handle -
brgds
Karl
-

M540i LE said:
Thanks for the help guys ... so it seems that they were fitted to some E34 M5's - the 20th anniversary 20, and the 93 US M5's.

And the 'BMW individual' option is an interesting one too. I wouldn't mind seeing pics of how that looks.

Interesting too the variation in views on whether they would be a tacky option on an M5.

For the exercise, is anyone able to provide either the part numbers for these parts ('BMW Motorsport' and/or 'BMW Individual'), or the chassis number for a car that had either of them fitted at the factory?

Cheers

And thanks again.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Karl

GeorgeK's car is simply amazing. Never seen anything like it from the factory before.

Cars like that should be catalogued and referenced for all to see.

Cheers

M5touring reg said:
check here:
http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/?theme=1&level=4&question_id_select=149&chapitre_id_select=23&document_id_select=3
-
also, somewhere in this -forum- there is a thread with pictures of the
-extra-ordinary- 'amethyst'-coloured 'Individual' M5touring owned by GeorgK
and driven by 'Marie-Claire' (or vice versa ?), picture-session includes a shot
of the 'motorsport' door handle -
brgds
Karl
-

·
Registered
687 Posts
IvanDias said:
The ones in your picture are either just something someone has produced, or if real are shockingly rare!!
They are real, and very rare!

Most likely less than a total of 50-60 cars had these handles from the factory!

I think they are installed from the factory, only on the 20-Year edition, the Canadian M540i, and otherwice only if specified by order to BMW Individual.

They can be ordered from the dealer (PN: 8 199 757 and 8 199 758).
They come as complete units, including the lock mechanism, thats why you need to supply the VIN, to get the right ones to fit your keys.

When i bought my first M5, i asked the local parts guy to order these for my car, but backed out when i got the price.. 150+ Eur each!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
GeorgeK said:
Summer, winter, interior. We are kind of prisoners of this car. It is so exceptional...
Hi George

Arent we all prisonors of these beasts? :)

Any plans to join another Alps-tour, or have the Porkers demanded the attention?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts