BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding turbo engines. I was thinking of going with a twin intercooled turbo kit, some suspension mods (with camber plate), clutch and brake upgrade (Porche ceramic, I'm thinking), and chip reprogramming to handle the power additions.

I've been told from a couple of places that they could manage between 650 and 670 HP.

Does anyone know if this has been done already? Or if the turbo will drastically shorten engine life?

I have been assured it will be street legal, and any opinions would be valued.

Thx,
Vapour.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The M5 engine has a very high compression ratio, and only just manages to dodge detonation on pump gas by careful engine management.

I doubt a supercharged M5 engine will last a week with stock pistons, even at very modest boost levels.

Anyone selling forced induction for the M5 engine had better include tearing the engine down and building it up with 8.5:1 pistons.

Here in California such a combination would be nowhere near legal until the vendor had received an Exemption Order for the package from the California Air Resources Board.

It's my understanding that depending on the vendor's track record with the CARB, the EO process can be very easy or very hard.

·
Registered
765 Posts
650-670 bhp? thats pretty powerful, isnt it
? i'd love to read someone's impressions who has driven such an M5

------------------
SL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JEM:
The M5 engine has a very high compression ratio, and only just manages to dodge detonation on pump gas by careful engine management.
Well, as to the compression (which I think is about 10 or 10.5:1) I think will be lowered somewhat. It was mentioned that the boost could be adjusted up to 15 PSI.

Prices for all the mods are "Yet To Be Determined"
So figure out what a ground-up rebuild costs.

Vapour.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by vapour:
Well, as to the compression (which I think is about 10 or 10.5:1) I think will be lowered somewhat. It was mentioned that the boost could be adjusted up to 15 PSI.

Vapour.
Sorry, by boost I mean turbo boost. There are other drivetrain mods that I won't mention though. This is a private convension into a monster

I've driven a hot rod Z28 with 700 HP and a 500 HP NOS kit (1200 HP!!!). I had this silly car up to about 360 kph (220mph).

So, a 650 HP BMW is not a rocket for me. But it's bloody entertaining

Vapour.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by bobafett:
where the HELL did you do 220 mph? WHO LET YOU?

lucky sob...

--Dan
Well, Dan... There is this stretch on a highway in Ontario, Canada called the Holland Marsh. It's about a mile and a half of fairly straight & flat road. At 4am it's not that busy.

You ever had a car lift at the front at 120 mph?
Heeeellloooo nitrous.

Vapour.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P.S.

This monster Z28 was fitted with a heavy roll cage and a HALON gas fire system. Anyone could flip it at 200 kph and survive easily. So going 360 kph wasn't THAT big a deal.

Nobody who travels at that speed is a total idiot (Those who live, anyway

Vapour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts